IGNORED

What’s the average age of trappers

1 hour ago, Mountain Goat said:

A 100 years old. No one traps where i live in pa. Furs worth zero

And this is my point from that earlier thread. Is that the only reason to trap? To make money? If the only reason to trap is to put up the fur and make money, then trapping isn't going to get done now-a-days (at least not enough to help, say, the turkey population).

So - do you trap just for the money? Or are there other ethical reasons to trap -- e.g. can I trap to achieve other ends, even if the fur isn't used?

22 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

And this is my point from that earlier thread. Is that the only reason to trap? To make money? If the only reason to trap is to put up the fur and make money, then trapping isn't going to get done now-a-days (at least not enough to help, say, the turkey population).

So - do you trap just for the money? Or are there other ethical reasons to trap -- e.g. can I trap to achieve other ends, even if the fur isn't used?

I know what you’re saying.  Can’t you trap to eradicate a problem and not care about the fur? So if you trap a mangy fox or yote do most people let them go since the fur is useless?  Nature will eat it so is it really wasted?  

Every class has a few youngsters, more and more woman, and some oldtimers who are now retired and wanting to get back into it. The majority is middle aged 20-40.

I have asked pasted groups why they want to trap. Is it for the fur market?

Is it to reduce raccoon on your corn pile ?

Is it to control nest raiders and reduce predators  ?

Fur market gets The LEAST amount of hands!

@gobblergetter and @rgw - you two have been doing this a long time and are heavily invested in the NJ trapping community (being involved in the hunter ed courses and all) so you have good insight on the issue. I was actually hoping to get your take, but I thought you might not want to answer the question because it might stir the pot that you don't want to do, but I'm asking anyway :)

What do you think about trapping for other reasons other than putting up the fur and selling it (even if secondarily it just so happens to also help out the turkeys and ducks and ...)?

In general, what does the trapping community think of that? Is it considered "ethical" for a person to trap  nest raiders to reduce their population to help out the local turkey population, even if that person doesn't intend to do anything with the fur (leave the critters for scavengers to clean up)?

I'm sure different people have different takes, but in general, what do you think is the majority's take on this issue?

When I was a younger man 12-22 let’s say I did light trapping in PA.  Used to do it with my brother, friends and cousins.  Mostly for fisher but would also catch mink and muskrat a lot.  It was fun and easier then cause we worked as a team.  Now I’m 32 own my own business and have a young family.  Unfortunately I barely get the time I’d like to hunt/fish let alone trap. Like most people have said it will probably be something I get back into later in life.  It’s a great way to stay in the woods and learn the woods as well!

Edited by Eyesofthewoods
Spelling

I am 67 and started trapping back in the 1960's in the Hackensack River and also the Pascack Brook in Hillsdale and Rivervale. Growing up in Hillsdale, there were lots of trappers in my school. It was a whole different world back then. We used to walk down to Valley Fair store and also to our local hardware store where we would buy our traps. To the best of my knowledge, only one other kid stuck with trapping because I see him every year at the Space Farms convention.

Edited by trapoholic

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

@gobblergetter and @rgw - you two have been doing this a long time and are heavily invested in the NJ trapping community (being involved in the hunter ed courses and all) so you have good insight on the issue. I was actually hoping to get your take, but I thought you might not want to answer the question because it might stir the pot that you don't want to do, but I'm asking anyway :)

What do you think about trapping for other reasons other than putting up the fur and selling it (even if secondarily it just so happens to also help out the turkeys and ducks and ...)?

In general, what does the trapping community think of that? Is it considered "ethical" for a person to trap  nest raiders to reduce their population to help out the local turkey population, even if that person doesn't intend to do anything with the fur (leave the critters for scavengers to clean up)?

I'm sure different people have different takes, but in general, what do you think is the majority's take on this issue?

The nest raiders need to be taken care of one way or another , you will never catch me releasing a raccoon, fox or coyote, I tossed a lot of reds this year because of mange, 

3 hours ago, gobblergetter said:

Every class has a few youngsters, more and more woman, and some oldtimers who are now retired and wanting to get back into it. The majority is middle aged 20-40.

I have asked pasted groups why they want to trap. Is it for the fur market?

Is it to reduce raccoon on your corn pile ?

Is it to control nest raiders and reduce predators  ?

Fur market gets The LEAST amount of hands!

is there any youngsters serious about trapping? not just hobby people 

Bulk of the trappers who have been in the game are older. Lately it has been the younger generation and those who retired are getting in to it. Sign up for the course and attend a NJTA or Fur harvester's mtg meet some of the crew ask questions .

The past few years, it has been great seeing the influx of new trappers coming through the classes. We have not had any shortage of students. I asked one woman student why she was taking up trapping. She said she wanted to make her own fur coat. Others , and a lot, say they want to catch coyotes.

It was good to see, even though the prices are not there, at the auction , lots of raccoon were still trapped. Most likely, because Raccoons are fairly easy to catch and you get something out of what you do. Especially for the younger students.

It is also good to see , through the Division, and the NJTA  we are getting some new blood , younger folks taking the rains and stepping up to help promote the future of trapping in Jersey.

Being a trapper is in your blood.  Even in the snow, ice, and cold , you still get out there and check.  This past year was my 56th year of trapping.  Could not imagine not doing it. I enjoy teaching others, what I have learned over the years.  It's good to pass it on.

59 minutes ago, tinemaster said:

Bulk of the trappers who have been in the game are older. Lately it has been the younger generation and those who retired are getting in to it. Sign up for the course and attend a NJTA or Fur harvester's mtg meet some of the crew ask questions .

Wow there is a blast from the past