IGNORED

How to build the perfect squirrel nursery…

JHbowhunter

My momma always said “stupid is as stupid does”…   Word of advice - if u use a T-Bag for life jackets under your T-Top best to remove before winter….

A bit early for boat drama - did not even float it yet but here it goes. 

I am just getting over bronchitis but spent much of  the day splitting wood with my son with intermittent rain and snow and ice.  Was a bit wet and cold but had a roaring fire pit going so got warm and decided to clean up the Key West.  Noticed a lot of chewed up mesh on the deck with leaves and spruce needles and traced it back to my T-Bag.  It was old and shot anyway and clearly an animal had chewed its way in so I cut it down and tossed in garage to clean up life vests another day. While doing that I failed to notice a few gallons of water sitting above the t-bag on my canvas top. I was doused with ice cold water in 38 degree temps!  Just what I needed….

Got in hot shower pronto and while getting dressed looked down at boat and saw a squirrel frantically searching the  underneath of my T-Top….  Oh shit!  I have baby squirrels  in my garage!  

sure enough - zipped open the bag and found the reason momma squirrel was so frantic.  Two vests shot - one had 4 babies - no hair and squeaking for mother. I felt bad. I placed both vests under a big blue spruce right next to boat. She was in my boat as I did this and took off and ran up a big oak 30 yards away. The babies squeaking and I did not make it 10 yards and she was on them. I watched her carry each one straight up the same spruce tree until none were left.  She kept frantically searching for another but clearly she could not count. 

My buddy tells me they always have an emergency nest nearby - maybe it was the spruce tree or she will do another relocate  later. 

Squirrels are a pain in the ass mostly - but I guess part of me does have a bleeding heart 

IMG_1330.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

That's an awesome post!

Best part of the story was when the light bulb went off: "Oh shit!  I have baby squirrels in my garage!"  :rofl:

(I do love squirrels; yeah I shoot them, eat them, and feed them to crabs, but many times when I'm in the woods, I just like to watch them do their thing. It's only when they start nesting under my solar panels and gnaw at the wires when they are no longer cute and deserve the death penalty ;))

The top of that spruce tree is whipping around in 50mph gusts today - they are getting one helluva ride!

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….