IGNORED

Would You Take The Spring Jake?

29 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Possibly.   Sometimes on Crowded Public Ground - taking 1 Jake and 1 Gobbler may be the only way to fill both NY Tags.

Why do you always have to mention “crowded” public land. There is plenty of land to find birds and NO people.  I only hunt public land and I’m usually into a birds everyday of the season and rarely see or have to compete with the public, it’s just having plan A,B, and C.  I take more hunters than I hunt myself but really don’t like people shooting Jakes unless they are a youth or first time hunter.  It’s not about filling tags.  I always feel if the bird was in range especially with a shotgun, it’s a successful hunt wether or not the trigger was decided to be pulled.

I’ve been pretty successful and I don’t feel the need to shoot a jake. I’ve never filled all my permits or tags and easily could’ve if I shot a Jake. Last few years my birds were shot in week C and I hunted from beginning. Had plenty of chances just wasn’t the one I was after. That to me makes turkey hunting so much more challenging not that it’s not challenging to start. Everyone has a choice on what’s a trophy to them. To me I had a great hunt if I can work a bird into range. The shot is just a bonus. 

55 minutes ago, Turkeyslayer said:

Won’t shoot a jake I shoot enough birds every season. no matter public or private. no hate to anyone that does though everyone has there preferences 

There has been some years when,I will have 1 New York Gobbler and now it is May 27th or so and,I have until the 31st and the Sweat is Pouring running and gunning at 10am. Usually that is when,I decide to take a Jake and fill that 2nd and Final NY Tag.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

48 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Not always about filling tags....

Indeed,I have helped out 4 different people  and given away many of my best early days - including the opener to ensure their success.    Guess,I could have had 25 more Toms or so myself- but like you say- it is not always about filling Tags.

Another quality blurry picture.  I would not shoot a jake, I dont think they are that challenging.  Only exception would be if I had a youth hunter with me and they wanted to shoot one.  I wouldnt hold it against any other hunter that has or will. 

"think how dumb the average person is, then remember half of them are dumber than that"

35 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Why do you always have to mention “crowded” public land. There is plenty of land to find birds and NO people.  I only hunt public land and I’m usually into a birds everyday of the season and rarely see or have to compete with the public, it’s just having plan A,B, and C.  I take more hunters than I hunt myself but really don’t like people shooting Jakes unless they are a youth or first time hunter.  It’s not about filling tags.  I always feel if the bird was in range especially with a shotgun, it’s a successful hunt wether or not the trigger was decided to be pulled.

I mention crowded Public because in New York that is often the case in my area.

We disagree on Adult Turkey Hunters shooting Jakes . It is what it is- enjoy your upcoming Season.:up: