IGNORED

What say you? Pennsy drone operator found guilty for recovering wounded deer

Bonefreak

47 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

31 trackers is a lot? How many calls per dog? 50? That’s 1550 time and I bet very few do 50. 
how many do we kill? +_50,000/year

That’s 3%, tiny portion, agree? 

All my years of deer hunting never even heard of all this.  of course,  there were fewer opportunities and means, Hunters for the most part made sure of every shot.  taking chances was not an option. 

Call it Progress in reverse. when will projectiles and arrows have tracking Chips? to use your phone to track their location  :fudd:

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

11 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

All my years of deer hunting never even heard of all this.  of course,  there were fewer opportunities and means, Hunters for the most part made sure of every shot.  taking chances was not an option. 

Call it Progress in reverse. when will projectiles and arrows have tracking Chips? to use your phone to track their location  :fudd:

See what happens when you opened the door to crossbowsfor everyone???:rofl:

When your attorney’s defense is that the laws are archaic, it’s time to find a new attorney or eat your charges. Once he was told it was illegal, that’s on him.

I think the technology is super cool, and would love to do deer recovery like that. However I think there’s too much room for abuse. I follow guys in other states that use drone just to view wildlife, and they post photos of deer, bear, coyotes, turkeys, anything you can find in the woods. Sure it’s super cool, but I believe we need to draw the line somewhere, and I don’t agree with the use of drones for recovery. I know it sounds terrible, because why wouldn’t you want anything and everything you can have at your disposal to find a wounded deer. I’m happy at this point to have dogs. However, with a drone, you can locate a wounded deer, without even bumping it, and put on a stalk knowing the exact tree that deer is sitting behind. I just don’t think that’s fine, no matter which way you cut it. 

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

31 trackers is a lot? How many calls per dog? 50? That’s 1550 time and I bet very few do 50. 

That’s 3%, tiny portion, agree? 

One of the better trackers , did over 500 last season alone . And way more calls 

these guys are busy enough that the number of trackers increases every season .

many times depending on their conversation , or initial track they pull off believing the deer isn’t mortally wounded .

‘another few years there will be more trackers than conservation officers .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

18 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

One of the better trackers , did over 500 last season alone . And way more calls 

these guys are busy enough that the number of trackers increases every season .

many times depending on their conversation , or initial track they pull off believing the deer isn’t mortally wounded .

‘another few years there will be more trackers than conservation officers .

In a season of about 160 days he tracked 500 times?  3 per day for almost 6 months? Ok:shock:

here is a summary from a very good tracker Casey Mac 

23 - 24 season is over. Tracking reports have been sent in to the state. Mac went on 74 tracks recovering 37 of these animals. That's an even 50% recovery rate, can't ask for much better than that. Work kept us from taking more calls with dozens of tracks being turned over to fellow trackers. Thanks everyone that called for assistance. Hope yall have a safe off season.

Edited by Lunatic

3 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Maybe in past years - 1995 had a Total overall ---59,769

2022 had a total overall ---39,324 

Taking in a short 100 years ago  say 1924  there were ZERO deer in NjJ source NJDFAG 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

54 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

Maybe in past years - 1995 had a Total overall ---59,769

2022 had a total overall ---39,324 

Taking in a short 100 years ago  say 1924  there were ZERO deer in NjJ source NJDFAG 

So what is you point? what percentage would it be with 39,324, can you guess? 

I looked into getting into this a year and a half or so ago and immediately reversed my decision for one main stupid, hypocritical reason. Can't fly drones on WMAs which would probably knock out half your business. Which is absolutely ridiculous that the state doesn't permit it due to "wildlife harassment" yet they permit staff to fly drones to get video for media. 

They aren't cheap drones to purchase and fly with thermal especially plus the licensing, so I can understand the cost to come out and do a recovery. But as mentioned, no more costly with a dog in some instances and if anything, I think a drone is probably less disturbing, especially at night. As also mentioned though, I can see how it could potentially be abused though, to what extent who knows. 

What frustrates me more is I am all for the technology to recover these animals and I would make any effort I could too, but I bet in the same breath if that deer wasn't recovered their COs wouldn't hesitate to write hunter a wanton waste ticket or some BS. Can't win unless the government has their hands in the cookie jar they can make a buck off of. 

It will be interesting to hear the outcome of the appeal. I cannot see how this will hold up, unless the drone tracker was warned before hand that it was illegal to track with the drone. If that was the case and he did not listen to the warning then IDK how this will turn out.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

2 minutes ago, bushden said:

It will be interesting to hear the outcome of the appeal. I cannot see how this will hold up, unless the drone tracker was warned before hand that it was illegal to track with the drone. If that was the case and he did not listen to the warning then IDK how this will turn out.

I believe pa has restrictions in using drones for hunting

I get it. You need to limit technology before hunting stops becoming hunting. Could this technology also encourage bad shots? Just shoot the deer anywhere and I'll look for it tomorrow with my drone?  I could see a compromise in some states. Maybe private land only. Require permission from Game Warden before use.