IGNORED

Inheriting guns and transfer questions.......pic

rocky

I am sad to say that my Father passed a little over a month ago he lived in Virginia. He had a large gun collection, 150 or so of all kinds. My Stepmother and maybe my Father while still alive put about 30 of them on a auction site to be sold. My Stepmother wants to put all of them on the auction site so they are gone and she does not have to deal with them. I already brought home his deer rifle and put my name of a few others and left them there. 

What I need to know is there a better auction site than another? What percentage is normal? And what do I need to do about keeping a few pistols? Is there anything different about inheritance or do I need to get a permit for each one I want? I do have firearms card already.

Here is a pic of some little guns he collected.

IMG_0179 2.jpg

Sorry for your loss Rocky.

firearm purchaser identification card and/or a handgun purchase permit shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to his/her heir or legatee, whether the same by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

11 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Who is the auctioneer on this site? I know we have one... he talks about it sometimes...

Can't remember his username If you're thinking about the guy Mike he'not s auctioneer, he does estate sales ( Olga's)

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

If those guns were left to your stepmother, she inherited them not you. Therefore any NJ exemption for inheritance doesn’t apply to you. Unless there is something in the Will leaving you specific firearms, you must transfer them from her to you via an FFL and a valid NJ Handgun Permit if handguns are involved.

I’m sure not the answer you wanted to hear but it is the lawful one based on what facts you posted. Sorry for the loss of your father. He seems to have appreciated firearms history.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

3 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

If those guns were left to your stepmother, she inherited them not you. Therefore any NJ exemption for inheritance doesn’t apply to you. Unless there is something in the Will leaving you specific firearms, you must transfer them from her to you via an FFL and a valid NJ Handgun Permit if handguns are involved.

I’m sure not the answer you wanted to hear but it is the lawful one based on what facts you posted. Sorry for the loss of your father. He seems to have appreciated firearms history.

100 % correct! 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".