IGNORED

Any Truth To This?

5 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I can only be the messenger and say what they claim the reason is - R3 - trying to attract new hunters (or bring back hunters) who are intimidated with the complexity and "nuances" of the regs (as well as attract more out of state hunters).

I looked closer at that other slide ... it was titled "New" Hunter Motivation survey - so that is out of "new" hunters, 20% are interested in trophies as their top reason for hunting... 70% of "new" hunters put "meat" as their top priority for why they are hunting. So - it seems they are changing regs so they are more geared toward attracting new hunters.

From one of the first slides (the second bullet talks about R3, third bullet about out of state hunters, the last bullet point is referring to the "7th" buck):

image.png.67a2dfb7ade61d7001faced577761959.png

Out of state hunters come to take advantage of our idiotic regulations. 

They shoot their one buck in their home state and come here and shoot everything that walks. 

What a bunch of morons running everything lately. 

www.liftxrentals.com

Can't really compare NJ to PA, reality is its 2 different worlds.

AR helps, but the 1 buck limit plays a big part. The area I hunt issues 60,000 doe permits and you can buy as many as you want while available. Shooting a 3yr old buck is considered a trophy...125+ bucks are not as common as you think. And I'd bet some NJ counties shoot more 125+ bucks than the one I live in PA.

Just now, Trophy8 said:

Can't really compare NJ to PA, reality is its 2 different worlds.

AR helps, but the 1 buck limit plays a big part. The area I hunt issues 60,000 doe permits and you can buy as many as you want while available. Shooting a 3yr old buck is considered a trophy...125+ bucks are not as common as you think. And I'd bet some NJ counties shoot more 125+ bucks than the one I live in PA.

Pa has 10 times the gun hunters that NJ has also .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

5 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Pa has 10 times the gun hunters that NJ has also .

No question about that.

I used to see 10x more deer in NJ than I do in PA. Deer density is not the same, way more area in PA for deer to travel,  especially in agricultural areas. 

Deer mgt is based on a number of factors, unfortunately people don't have that understanding.

60,000 doe tags for 5B...yet the harvest has been steady.

Truth is many, many hunters go many seasons without harvesting a deer. I’d rather shoot one doe than one scrubby buck. The doe will be better eating and the scrubby buck is not a wall hanger so let him grow as long as there is a good gene pool. A spike could alway be a spike if his genes are spike genes. If your area produces nice racks because of the gene pool, let the little bucks grow and take the meat deer doe. It’s called management. 
7 bucks for one hunter, from one tract of land isn’t management, it’s depletion of the resource. 

3 minutes ago, Stamps said:

Truth is many, many hunters go many seasons without harvesting a deer. I’d rather shoot one doe than one scrubby buck. The doe will be better eating and the scrubby buck is not a wall hanger so let him grow as long as there is a good gene pool. A spike could alway be a spike if his genes are spike genes. If your area produces nice racks because of the gene pool, let the little bucks grow and take the meat deer doe. It’s called management. 
7 bucks for one hunter, from one tract of land isn’t management, it’s depletion of the resource. 

A spike tastes much better than an old doe!! :happywave:

BTW what if a guy is very happy taking a scrubby buck? Should he let him walk?

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I can only be the messenger and say what they claim the reason is - R3 - trying to attract new hunters (or bring back hunters) who are intimidated with the complexity and "nuances" of the regs (as well as attract more out of state hunters).

I looked closer at that other slide ... it was titled "New" Hunter Motivation survey - so that is out of "new" hunters, 20% are interested in trophies as their top reason for hunting... 70% of "new" hunters put "meat" as their top priority for why they are hunting. So - it seems they are changing regs so they are more geared toward attracting new hunters.

From one of the first slides (the second bullet talks about R3, third bullet about out of state hunters, the last bullet point is referring to the "7th" buck):

image.png.67a2dfb7ade61d7001faced577761959.png

I been saying for years and consistently- it is 100% about revenue and 0% about science. This is more of same.   States like Ohio with ONE BUCK are more attractive to the serious whitetail hunter than NJ will ever be. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Yes has to be 4 yrs old or better

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

17 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

States like Ohio with ONE BUCK are more attractive to the serious whitetail hunter than NJ will ever be. 

What I think DFW would say to that (based on what I read in this proposal presentation) is, "We are not gearing the regulations to be more attractive to the serious whitetail hunter."

It seems clear to me they are looking more to attracting new hunters, or attracting hunters that have left the sport altogether, than keeping or attracting hardcore trophy hunters.

10 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

And you say that because, I assume, you want more trophy-sized bucks. And I can tell you why they aren't doing these kinds of restrictions on bucks (like keeping APR and lowering buck bag limits)... it's because you are in the minority. Statewide 20% of hunters say the number one reason for hunting was for trophies - "towards the bottom"... whereas the vast majority (over 70%) of statewide hunters say the number one reason for hunting was for meat.

This is one of their charts in the proposal where they explicitly make this point (basically, it is them saying, "we aren't managing for trophies because trophy hunters are in the minority"):

image.png.c4dab8477cbafd738678c0fa50ab716f.png

You miss the part where this is labeled NEW HUNTER MOTIVATION?

This is not a survey of existing hunters throughout the state .

has no relevance to what the majority of hunters in the state want .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

7 hours ago, Lunatic said:

I agree, let each person decide for themselves.  If it don't make you happy then don't shoot it, but don't tell someone else what they should or shouldn't shoot.  

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

I agree, let each person decide for themselves.  If it don't make you happy then don't shoot it, but don't tell someone else what they should or shouldn't shoot.  

In a format where few bucks are taken I agree . 
but allowing guys to take 7 inferior bucks just to saw they shot 7 bucks is bullshit too . 

lower buck quotas and make guys shoot a few does is they need more meat . 

BALANCE the herd , not just reduce it 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING