IGNORED

New Jersey 2022-23 Deer Harvest Results

18 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I see 77 % are taken by gun hunters .

23% by bow hunters .

with such low harvest traditional . Seasons should all close 12/31 and leave winter bow for just the trad guys .

Agreed. 42% by cross-gun.  That’s by far the biggest chunk. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

It really is sad to me for some reason how the x-gun now dominates the harvest - not even a close second. I always felt it was perfect for those with a medical reason and should have been left at that - or just allow them during gun seasons for non - medical. Also it’s noteworthy that the permit shotgun tags more deer than 6- day tags. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

36 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

It really is sad to me for some reason how the x-gun now dominates the harvest - not even a close second.

What you are forgetting is MANY of those horrible xbow guys like me once shot a compound. Age, health,time restrictions and even ability to practice repetitively made many change. A clean ethical kill is paramount as compared to lost or mamed deer due to lack of ability or practice IMO

AWM

10 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

What you are forgetting is MANY of those horrible xbow guys like me once shot a compound. Age, health,time restrictions and even ability to practice repetitively made many change. A clean ethical kill is paramount as compared to lost or mamed deer due to lack of ability or practice IMO

More deer drama. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

23% by bow hunters .

with such low harvest traditional . Seasons should all close 12/31 and leave winter bow for just the trad guys .

How did you come up with 77% gun harvest? 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

23% by bow hunters .

Hammer, what are you looking at? What am I missing? 

36% by gun hunters

64% by bow hunters

I guess to follow your logic we should end bow hunting on 12/31 and leave the rest to gun hunters?

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

It really is sad to me for some reason how the x-gun now dominates the harvest - not even a close second. I always felt it was perfect for those with a medical reason and should have been left at that - or just allow them during gun seasons for non - medical. Also it’s noteworthy that the permit shotgun tags more deer than 6- day tags. 

Crossbows dominate because they are becoming the weapon of choice. The harvest would not be much different if they were not allowed. I miss/kill the same number of deer with either. Having shot a compound for over 30 years, I was no less successful. I missed and killed at about the same rate. I think most people would do the same. 

It's more about the length of the seasons and the liberal bag limits. 

Edited by archer36

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

Are you really sad because more hunters use crossbow than any other weapons? Why? I honestly don’t get it