IGNORED

Public Service Announcement for men over 40

mmfan36

5 hours ago, mmfan36 said:

Please get your prostate checked through a PSA test.its a simple blood test to check for prostate cancer.1 in 7 men get it. very treatable when caught early.

I unfortunately  have  stage 4 advanced prostate cancer ,with no symptoms.So please get the simple and easy checks as soon as you hit 40.

I wasnt going to tell people,since it was my problem.But then i realized it might be someone elses problem.Just wanted to bring awareness to the number 2 cancer killer of men.

Since this is generally  a male forum and there is alot of older men here.that is why im bringing it up

Thanks for posting and BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY GET TESTED! You can't rely 100% on the finger wave, although it should/must be part of an exam.

By getting tested now, you will be establishing a baseline and reference point. Sometimes the increases in the PSA level can be very subtle, but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

If you are going to have a PSA test, be aware that there are certain foods and or situations that will raise your PSA levels. Supposedly, an orgasm within close to proximity to a PSA test will trigger higher numbers. Look the stuff up and be very cognizant and be governed accordingly.

mmfan36 thanks so much for posting. WISH YOU THE BEST! Hope everyone heeds your advice.

Anybody has any questions, don't be afraid to ask. I have found that just about everybody will answer any question to the best of their ability.

GET TESTED!

I'm sorry to hear. If I can add a PSA, if you're 50 or older, please get your Shingles vaccine if you had chickenpox as a kid. I never got the vaccine and I've been dealing with Shingles for the last month. It's a real bitch dealing with the nerve pain. I missed the 72 hour window to get the shot to help with the pain. I'll be getting the vaccine in June. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Great Advice. I am a prostate cancer survivor. I was 47 and went for my annual physical and I asked the Dr if he was going to do a PSA test. He said no, I told him he did last year. He said they changed the protocol from 45 to 50. He said he would order it if I wanted. Test showed my PSA went from undetectable to 7.4 in one year. a couple biopsies later I was positive for cancer. I did a lot of research and soul searching I chose robotic surgery with Dr David Samadi at Mount Sinai. Best decision I ever made. He removed the prostate and luckily nothing had spread. I didn't need radiation. and everything works as it should! Feel free to message me if anyone is going through it and wants to talk about it.

Wishing you all the luck I can. Thank you for the information. I started getting mine last year at 47. I plan on getting it once a year. From what I am told it can be detected through blood way earlier thank any physical check. But I am always learning something new about my health and what I should do.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

First, I’m so sorry to hear.  

I can’t stress enough the importance of annual prostrate exams. I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer at 49.  As part of my annual checkup, my physician saw a significant jump in my PSA numbers; 6.  Previously they were between 1 and 2.  A couple of biopsies then confirmed I had cancer - Gleason score 9. It’s a gut punch when your doctor says you have cancer.

I made an appointment with the head of the department at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. They patiently discussed treatment options with me.  I elected robotic surgery. My surgeon was Vincent Laudone. Turned out my prostrate was riddled with cancer - more than the biopsy revealed - but it didn’t spread.  I went back to MSK every 6 months for 3 years to ensure no cancer.  Couldn’t have asked for a better outcome; no side effects that you typically associate with this kind of surgery.  14 years later I’m still ticking. 

Get your annual exams! 

16 minutes ago, mmfan36 said:

Thanks for the all the well wishes, im 54 and my gleason score is 9.

Don't mean to be ignorant what's a Gleason score

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

14 hours ago, mmfan36 said:

Please get your prostate checked through a PSA test.its a simple blood test to check for prostate cancer.1 in 7 men get it. very treatable when caught early.

I unfortunately  have  stage 4 advanced prostate cancer ,with no symptoms.So please get the simple and easy checks as soon as you hit 40.

I wasnt going to tell people,since it was my problem.But then i realized it might be someone elses problem.Just wanted to bring awareness to the number 2 cancer killer of men.

Since this is generally  a male forum and there is alot of older men here.that is why im bringing it up

I wish you well, sending positive thoughts and prayers.   Thank you for posting