IGNORED

Your out of state rifle....

nmc02

On 2/22/2023 at 7:42 PM, nmc02 said:

This is the 7600 I bought for my son's 18th birthday present (He is 5 now)!

Screenshot_20220608-105157_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220608-105120_Chrome.jpg

Your son has already hunted more than you have Nick! 

Busting chops. That gun is gorgeous bro. On Point. 

Edited by LPJR

7 hours ago, thefirstndsecond said:

Typically when I hear glass bedding the barrel is bedded as well. all the way to the end of the stock and then fitted without any gaps for a dollar bill. I have heard of pillar bedding for the receiver and then a free floated barrel. I am not a gun smith but that is just what I have read and come to learn.

accurize packages are different depending on the smith. 

I have heard of harmonics of the barrel, and trigger adjustments, blue printing the action, and free floating the barrel.

Pretty neat idea though what you stated above. 

Typically when someone refers to a rifle as “bedded” they are talking about just the action and first inch or two of the barrel shank.  Some gunsmiths do fully bed the barrel too but not most.  

Here’s a few pictures of a rifle I bedded.  You can see where the gray bedding stops on the barrel channel.  The barrel is free floated beyond that point.  As others mentioned, the bedding provides a rock solid and consistent mating of the action to the stock so there is no movement of the action and barrel within the stock when fired.  

AFB917F8-7684-43D6-B316-CBEBD14CF0AF.jpeg

BE1CC172-40A2-473B-A4B2-3BBCFD2820A6.jpeg

I purchased a Remington 700 BDL bolt action 30-06 ( left handed ) back in the mid 90’s while in college, and still use it to this day.  I’ve swapped out the original scope since then to a Nikon Monarch-3.  

This rifle is perfect for me, and perfect for where I hunt in NE Pennsylvania once a year.

I’ve been lucky enough to shoot some beautiful bucks with it, therefore it will be carried with me every season for the foreseeable future ! 

48 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

I've seen guys shoot on a bench and put their hand on the barrel. A definite no no. All the bedding and free floating can't help you then.

https://www.tacticallink.com/barrel-harmonics-for-rifle-accuracy.html

Another mistake a lot of shooters make is resting the barrel on a rest instead of the stock. The barrel should never rest on a rest, always the stock.

Thank you for clearing this all up. I was completely misunderstanding the glass bedding. I thought all the way through was bedded. I did not realize the point was a free floating barrel. I never understood why someone would want to have their barrel as part of the stock. No I know it is not the case and I was misunderstanding the terminology. I appreciate your patience with the back and forth.

When I bought my muzzle loader years and years ago they marketed the free floating barrel. I always kind of shrugged it off about the ol' 700 being bedded.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

11 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

Thank you for clearing this all up. I was completely misunderstanding the glass bedding. I thought all the way through was bedded. I did not realize the point was a free floating barrel. I never understood why someone would want to have their barrel as part of the stock. No I know it is not the case and I was misunderstanding the terminology. I appreciate your patience with the back and forth.

When I bought my muzzle loader years and years ago they marketed the free floating barrel. I always kind of shrugged it off about the ol' 700 being bedded.

I was lucky enough to meet a competitive shooter who explained some of these dynamics to me. It may be overboard doing these rifle upgrades for hunting, but doing those three things to a rifle will dramatically increase accuracy. I guess I am a little ocd. 

12 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

There is no given on bedding and accuracy. Some guns become horrible when floated do to long thin barrels. Some of the most accurate guns made were full length bedded. The pre 64 Winchester fir example. Some barrels do much better with actual pressure on the fore end. A full length bedded rifle will tame barrel oscillation best, but a full length bedded rifle must be done right just like a free floated one

AWM

3 hours ago, nmc02 said:

I was lucky enough to meet a competitive shooter who explained some of these dynamics to me. It may be overboard doing these rifle upgrades for hunting, but doing those three things to a rifle will dramatically increase accuracy. I guess I am a little ocd. 

I have OCD when it come to a rifle's accuracy as well.  I personally think everything you can do for western hunting to be as accurate as possible  is worth it.  Ive been a whitetail bow hunter my whole life and got invited about 8-9 years ago to chase mule deer in the mountains of Utah and fell in love. Since then Ive chased them in various terrain from the Eastern Plains of CO to 12k ft mountains and have had good success but attribute a high percentage of it to the ability to shoot and the rifle's accuracy.   This year was particularly difficult as I was down to the last day on both hunts.  Had 2 opportunities one was 905 yards and the other at 521 both deer on the move.  The 905 buck dropped after I shot and the 521 I was a hair back probably because of the angle but the buck stopped and another round killed him immediately. I love it but when the pressure is on, I know the rifle can do its job.  Its a matter of can I.  Cool thread! 

Granted: the gun I currently shoot, was built for me.  I take zero credit for that.

Edited by Lonewolf76

I am the same way. A buddy of mine was a bench rest competitive shooter. Shot with or against Hart. Lives in Mt. Laurel. Just a wonderful guy in his 80's now. 

Haven't spoken to him in a long time. He believed in making 1 bullet at a time. Also went over barrel oscillation with me. There is a point where n+1 becomes moot for the average Joe.

All I know is, my pops ol 700 in 3006 had been my standard for accuracy when shooting a new rifle. 100 yards. Off the shelf 180 grain barnes. 

I have a 7mm weather warrior I am still breaking in with noslers 160 grain. Between the 06 and the 7mm and then the 35rem I have everything covered except a youth rifle. I am thinking of 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM for my daughters. 

20181125_223102.jpg

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford