IGNORED

NJ Bear Hunt to be Reinstated

BHC

44 minutes ago, Slayer1962 said:

Not if 250 lbs unless i can quarter in the woods 

For those that are unaware (of which, I was one until I read this), you can quarter it in the field.

https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/bears/bear-hunting-season-information/

"Mandatory Bear Check Requirement Properly licensed hunters who harvest a black bear shall immediately complete and affix to the bear hide the Black Bear Transportation Tag from their Black Bear Hunting Permit. When field dressing a black bear, leave the sex organs intact, attached to the body. A harvested black bear may be quartered and brought out of the field in sections."

It looks like you have to be 300 feet away from the bait. Unless I missed it, it doesn't state anything about stands.

Regulation Changes:

Hunters may NOT attempt to take or kill a black bear weighing less than 75 pounds (live weight), or less than 50 pounds dressed. 

Hunters may NOT attempt to take or kill an adult black bear that is in the presence of cub(s) (bears weighing less than 75 pounds). 

Hunters may NOT attempt to take or kill a black bear or have a loaded weapon within 300 ft. of a baited area when hunting bears.

32 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

It looks like you have to be 300 feet away from the bait. Unless I missed it, it doesn't state anything about stands.

Regulation Changes:

Hunters may NOT attempt to take or kill a black bear weighing less than 75 pounds (live weight), or less than 50 pounds dressed. 

Hunters may NOT attempt to take or kill an adult black bear that is in the presence of cub(s) (bears weighing less than 75 pounds). 

Hunters may NOT attempt to take or kill a black bear or have a loaded weapon within 300 ft. of a baited area when hunting bears.

Correct. They changed it ... 300 ft from bait no matter where you are hunting. That's one of the big changes that makes me question doing this during 6-day. Where ISN'T there a bait pile this time of year??!?!?

18 hours ago, Samj said:

... Went two years ago for the first time on federal near the gap (no bait) and didn’t see anything due to freezing weather the whole week.

11 hours ago, Rusty said:

You are going to see a lot more bears near residential areas.  Wawayanda, Newark Watershed,  Hamburg Mt WMA,  Sparta Mt WMA,  Weldon Brook WMA.   

I don't bear hunt but I bet Rusty is right. I've bowhunted the Water Gap near Dingman's forever, and I've not seen a lot of bears. But, I live near Wildcat Ridge WMA and there are lots there.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Correct. They changed it ... 300 ft from bait no matter where you are hunting. That's one of the big changes that makes me question doing this during 6-day. Where ISN'T there a bait pile this time of year??!?!?

This has been what I have been saying from the beginning.  If they want to they could right tickets to half the hunters. And if you have you permit on you you are bear hunting. Make me not want to go let the state deal with the bears .

24 minutes ago, Mixbaghunter said:

This has been what I have been saying from the beginning.  If they want to they could right tickets to half the hunters. And if you have you permit on you you are bear hunting. Make me not want to go let the state deal with the bears .

I’d be willing to bet $$ that not one ticket is written by a CO. The Division wants and needs the “herd” thinned. No CO is asking if you baited, how far from bait you were, if the sow you’re checking in had cubs or not, etc. 

19 hours ago, Samj said:

Very exciting. Went two years ago for the first time on federal near the gap (no bait) and didn’t see anything due to freezing weather the whole week. Hopefully better luck this year, definitely worth scouting over the next couple of weeks. If anyone has any input that would be greatly appreciated. 

The Gap does not have the bear density it once did...Back in 2010 there was a bear behind every rock.......fast forward to 2022 while there are bears in that area they are much harder to come by.....Federal land has been hunted right up until the comprehensive bear program ended...not the ban on state land....I would concentrate on the public state land that has been off limits for a few years now.....I was just bow hunting in that area from 0ct 25 thru the 10th and I did see a few small bears...they were few and far between...Good luck this year!

On 11/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, hunterbob1 said:

This should be interesting.

I emailed this lady of the bear group unbeknownst to her me being a hunter but a concerned citizen.

Here was her response back

Screenshot_20221114-112037.png

I received a follow-up email today from the bear lady.I think she's 😡

Her words

"Murphy is sheer evil"

Her thinking is certainly twisted.

Hellbent on the safety of wild bears over the safety of men women and children, pets livestock and farmers livelihood.

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt