IGNORED

NJ Bear Hunt to be Reinstated

BHC

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

You are still asking staff that don’t typically work weekends to give up one weekend day EVERY month. That’s # 1. Number two is that the antis are no different than anyone else. They work just like we do. The difference is they coordinate so that some of them are always there. 

That said, all the rantings from the antis have never swayed the votes taken by the Council. Between farmer reps and Federation reps, the Division’s work is fairly well protected. Sportsmen’s voices are carried by Federation reps. That’s their specific job role on Council. Reps do or should spend time at Federation meetings so that they are voting for sportsmen’s interests. Lastly, I’ve attended several Council meetings over the years. It’s always good to show when you can, but I can call one or more members I happen to know and discuss issues important to me directly. 

I'm aware of how the Council works, what its role is, and that the antis don't sway votes taken. This isn't some personal attack on its volunteer members, which I feel like is the context my opinions are being taken in because you happen to know some of them. Not everyone has a direct line of communication with them, not everyone even knows who half of them are or what staff are present in these meetings. They're names on paper to most.. There's no where Joe public has a direct line of communication to them (if you want to contact the council, your email goes to the generic FW inquiry email), and not everyone is interested to be apart of a county federation chapter where their opinions may end up in a rep's ear that will be reflected in their reports to council. Again, my opinion in this all was simply agreeing with Mazzgolf that for the average person, their opinions they want to share to have on public record in these meetings is less feasible for them, so their voices/concerns are probably those that end up in a 150 comment post on Facebook of people pissing back and forth. Very constructive and effective for problem solving.. And I think if it were on a different day (or heck even in the evening) where more sportsmen and women could attend, I think it would far outweigh the inconvenience of staff heaven forbid having to "give up" a weekend day a month if it means more sportsmen and women voluntarily are showing up on their own free time to be active participants, put names to faces of who is representing them, see what kinds of conversations are being had between the council and staff in real-time versus the cliff notes version in monthly reports, etc.. There's no reason there can't be alternative options. 

On 11/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, Jim_ said:

For sure.

Assemblyman Jay Webber told me that the administration realized that the bear situation was spiraling out of control BEFORE his last NJ election. Murphy is true politician. 

I've never hunted bear. I live near Wildcat Ridge WMA. With all the bears I see at my house, I figure I can just go sit on a rock out there and nail one.

Bear meat is good on the few i have gotten . I gave up because no help dragging them out and i moved south ten yeas ago . I still would travel to wack one! 

7 minutes ago, chenrossi said:

I'm aware of how the Council works, what its role is, and that the antis don't sway votes taken. This isn't some personal attack on its volunteer members, which I feel like is the context my opinions are being taken in because you happen to know some of them. Not everyone has a direct line of communication with them, not everyone even knows who half of them are or what staff are present in these meetings. They're names on paper to most.. There's no where Joe public has a direct line of communication to them (if you want to contact the council, your email goes to the generic FW inquiry email), and not everyone is interested to be apart of a county federation chapter where their opinions may end up in a rep's ear that will be reflected in their reports to council. Again, my opinion in this all was simply agreeing with Mazzgolf that for the average person, their opinions they want to share to have on public record in these meetings is less feasible for them, so their voices/concerns are probably those that end up in a 150 comment post on Facebook of people pissing back and forth. Very constructive and effective for problem solving.. And I think if it were on a different day (or heck even in the evening) where more sportsmen and women could attend, I think it would far outweigh the inconvenience of staff heaven forbid having to "give up" a weekend day a month if it means more sportsmen and women voluntarily are showing up on their own free time to be active participants, put names to faces of who is representing them, see what kinds of conversations are being had between the council and staff in real-time versus the cliff notes version in monthly reports, etc.. There's no reason there can't be alternative options. 

Moving the meetings to Saturday wouldn’t change a thing. Look no further than to the Saturday Trout Meeting and the Freshwater Fisheries Forum. Both draw tens of thousands of potential attendees, yet both events are poorly attended each year. I’m one of the few that goes almost every year for the last 20 plus. 

There is nothing stopping any hunter or angler or trapper from taking a day off work to attend a Council meeting. I know I have. And more than once.