IGNORED

NJ Bear Hunt to be Reinstated

BHC

26 minutes ago, chenrossi said:

The Council should come in the 21st century. If they want input that is on the record about decisions being brought before them, they should meet their constituents where they can. If they expect Joe public is going to be available on a Tuesday at 10am for a meeting to chime in for a 3 minute public comment period 3 hours into the meeting, surely they can sacrifice one of their beloved weekend dates during the month to make it so for those who want to actively participate... not everyone is part of an organization or a county federation chapter that's being reflecting by members.

The problem is key Division staff need to be present. Asking a Monday through Friday state employee to give up one weekend day per month is a lot to ask. Has nothing to do with the volunteer Council members. 

22 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

The problem is key Division staff need to be present. Asking a Monday through Friday state employee to give up one weekend day per month is a lot to ask. Has nothing to do with the volunteer Council members. 

Allow me to correct myself, I blanketed Council with the 'key' staff you mention; I'm aware they need to be present too. For simplicity sake, those who need to be in attendance at the meeting*.

However, there are plenty of other staff who work weekends, odd hours because of what their job duties entail. CPOs, hatchery staff, lands management staff, nongame and game staff doing seasonal work, just for a few examples, that doesn't bode for a regular 9-5 MF, etc (all of which I'm sure you are also already aware of)..As far as I'm concerned, I don't think it is a lot to ask whatsoever. I think it is very reasonable proposition. I'm just agreeing with Mazzgolf's point. When I think back to previous meetings, I can't recall much in the way of what I hear from sportsmen and women. I'm not saying they don't chime in and have something to say, but by and large what I still remember is listening to those lunatics Janet and Barbara use their entire three minutes of public comment spewing garbage because well, they have the time to while other people are at work. You know they are going to be front and center at this hearing with all of their friends....while we, well, are at work...imagine if just a few articulate, thoughtful, insightful opinions from sportsmen and women were able to be on the record for the public to see each month when the minutes are posted. 

14 hours ago, chenrossi said:

Allow me to correct myself, I blanketed Council with the 'key' staff you mention; I'm aware they need to be present too. For simplicity sake, those who need to be in attendance at the meeting*.

However, there are plenty of other staff who work weekends, odd hours because of what their job duties entail. CPOs, hatchery staff, lands management staff, nongame and game staff doing seasonal work, just for a few examples, that doesn't bode for a regular 9-5 MF, etc (all of which I'm sure you are also already aware of)..As far as I'm concerned, I don't think it is a lot to ask whatsoever. I think it is very reasonable proposition. I'm just agreeing with Mazzgolf's point. When I think back to previous meetings, I can't recall much in the way of what I hear from sportsmen and women. I'm not saying they don't chime in and have something to say, but by and large what I still remember is listening to those lunatics Janet and Barbara use their entire three minutes of public comment spewing garbage because well, they have the time to while other people are at work. You know they are going to be front and center at this hearing with all of their friends....while we, well, are at work...imagine if just a few articulate, thoughtful, insightful opinions from sportsmen and women were able to be on the record for the public to see each month when the minutes are posted. 

You are still asking staff that don’t typically work weekends to give up one weekend day EVERY month. That’s # 1. Number two is that the antis are no different than anyone else. They work just like we do. The difference is they coordinate so that some of them are always there. 

That said, all the rantings from the antis have never swayed the votes taken by the Council. Between farmer reps and Federation reps, the Division’s work is fairly well protected. Sportsmen’s voices are carried by Federation reps. That’s their specific job role on Council. Reps do or should spend time at Federation meetings so that they are voting for sportsmen’s interests. Lastly, I’ve attended several Council meetings over the years. It’s always good to show when you can, but I can call one or more members I happen to know and discuss issues important to me directly. 

Edited by Bucksnbows
One, not “on”