IGNORED

Kid gets stabbed by Catfish

A few years ago I caught a salt water catfish in Panama City beach and it for me with the barb.  It was most pain I have ever felt and the stinging lasted for about 24 hrs.  It definitely sucked.

the smaller the catfish, the more sharp the dorsal and pectoral fins are. as they age they tend to round over more. i have been hit multiple times but never had a reaction. just a minor sore hand.

i have taken many people cat fishing and everyone seems to think their whiskers are "stingers". lol 

11 hours ago, Tuck said:

A few years ago I caught a salt water catfish in Panama City beach and it for me with the barb.  It was most pain I have ever felt and the stinging lasted for about 24 hrs.  It definitely sucked.

Did the same when I was younger. Visiting my grandparents in Florida I caught one off the beach. Got stabbed in the hand. Hour later the pain in my entire arm was unbearable. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/22/2022 at 5:52 PM, Batsto said:

Generally that a right of passage for all kids fishing, but this child took one to the chest, thats scary.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

1 hour ago, casandramue said:

Parents should keep a closer eye on their children to avoid such incidents. Children are very defenseless, and adults' job is to protect them from all dangers.

You can never protect kids from ALL dangers. Thinking you can will only result in anguish and disappointment in yourself when they do get hurt, and will smother the kids by figuratively wrapping them in plastic bubble wrap, effectively causing them to lose their ability to become independent, thinking, functioning human beings. If you hover over them 24-7 to try to protect them from ALL dangers, you will drive them (and you) crazy as they get older. I raised two kids - try your best to protect them from things that would kill or maim them :) but you should let them explore, too - even if it means bumping their head along the way.

In this case, what parent is going to think to say to their 10-year old kid: "Watch out if you catch a catfish because it could impale you in the chest" ?? That would never have crossed my mind. It's just an accident that happened (a freak accident at that).

Edited by mazzgolf

17 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

You can never protect kids from ALL dangers. Thinking you can will only result in anguish and disappointment in yourself when they do get hurt, and will smother the kids by figuratively wrapping them in plastic bubble wrap, effectively causing them to lose their ability to become independent, thinking, functioning human beings. If you hover over them 24-7 to try to protect them from ALL dangers, you will drive them (and you) crazy as they get older. I raised two kids - try your best to protect them from things that would kill or maim them :) but you should let them explore, too - even if it means bumping their head along the way.

In this case, what parent is going to think to say to their 10-year old kid: "Watch out if you catch a catfish because it could impale you in the chest" ?? That would never have crossed my mind. It's just an accident that happened (a freak accident at that).

Crap happens but this song  comes to mind.

Edited by vdep217