IGNORED

Bears and deer?

trapoholic

With the growing bear population, what impact does a large bear population have on deer and deer hunting in our northern counties of Sussex, Warren, Morris, and Passaic? My experience has been that deer do not co-exist well with bears. Any thoughts on this?

I have a large back yard here in Highland Lakes. For a few years we had deer feeding on the grass in the yard regularly when the bear hunt was on. Now, I have seen bears almost everyday and only one sighting of two does with no fawns all spring.

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Bear actively hunt fawns

Don't show this to the bear group lunatics, I don't think they could handle the truth...

This should go next to the picture of the cute cub they put in all their propaganda and say, "To get cute cubs like this, bear have to kill cute fawns like this".

I think it all depends on what bear wants to do what on any given day. One day I watched a deer move through my woods. It kept looking back and did a slight jog 20 yards and turned around. A bear walked through and the deer watched it pass and went back to feeding. Also watched a bear jog after a yearling deer one morning across the street from me.  I’m sure fawns are regularly caught by bears.  

Edited by mike033089

2 minutes ago, Gman said:

I hunt in Vernon, NJ.  when I see a bear from my stand I pack up and leave, experience has taught me that there will not be a deer sighting from that stand for hours.  

Yup!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

16 hours ago, trapoholic said:

With the growing bear population, what impact does a large bear population have on deer and deer hunting in our northern counties of Sussex, Warren, Morris, and Passaic? My experience has been that deer do not co-exist well with bears. Any thoughts on this?

As for the deer completely leaving the area - i think thats bull. However, if a bear is in the area the same time you are hunting i believe it'll keep the deer away for the time being. Deer are much faster and agile than bear however it doesnt mean a bear won't take a stab at one or the fawns.

Last year i saw enough bear shit near my stand to start a fertilizer business. Still saw deer on my cams, still had a 4 pointer walk by at 60 yds (no clear take) so.

I have thousands of trail cam pix with a deer leaving and a bear or bears showing up. Several minutes later, bear gone and deer back.  Of deer disappearing “for hours” after seeing a bear, I would never once see a deer while hunting in Sparta. But that has never been the case. They learn to coexist.  Deer will leave an area bears are in, but they don’t flee to far away places.