IGNORED

Bear attacks Boy Scout in Rockland County NY

trapoholic

12 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

We need to figure out how to get NJ law changed to allow possession of bear spray in NJ.

You are allowed to carry, but in such a small bottle that nobody bothers.  I have seen many anglers carry the large bottles and be stopped by COs for fishing license checks without being hassled about the bear spray.  I'm not advocating breaking our silly laws, but have seen it done without repercussions is all.  I don't carry because I don't fear bears.  I spend enough time with them that I understand their behavior and always feel comfortable when I encounter them.   But bear spray is a good idea for many.  

2 hours ago, Michael Britt said:

Wow! We're not even "allowed" self-defense against bears either! ?

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

You are allowed to carry, but in such a small bottle that nobody bothers.  I have seen many anglers carry the large bottles and be stopped by COs for fishing license checks without being hassled about the bear spray.  I'm not advocating breaking our silly laws, but have seen it done without repercussions is all.  I don't carry because I don't fear bears.  I spend enough time with them that I understand their behavior and always feel comfortable when I encounter them.   But bear spray is a good idea for many.  

10 minutes ago, SoxFan said:

This is on the AT in NY. Scary, but happens. There have been a lot of bear activity in Harriman

I live very close to Harriman State Park in NY.

Too many Black Bears...

I carry my Handgun when Hiking in New York and 2 Good Knifes. In Jersey,I only have the 2 good Knifes and spray down and carry Deep Woods Off with 25% DEET.

I have had a good 9 or so Black Bear encounters while Hiking or Turkey Hunting. I expect to see them. I always take the Storm Whistle also while hiking.

Arm yourself how you can.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

19 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Timothy Treadwell didnt fear bears either...How did that work out for him:shock:

I think it was roughly 2000 at Camp Allamuchy, I was there for a scouting weekend. As we were getting ready to head out a bear wandered near the mess hall where we were staged to head out at night. Later that night a kid dragged out of the tent while in his sleeping bag by a bear. As the newspaper said "the scout did what he was supposed to do and make noise". The kid was terrified that's why he was making noise!

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff