IGNORED

Three less

gobblergetter

22 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

More then 1 lol. My grandmother used to live in one but frequented a few. I feel like they all had turkeys

Some are huntable in surrounding woods some not.  But it's a gamble to get them to leave

Trapping is not the answer as there’s just no time/interest amongst most hunters….now if there was tremendous statewide predator hunting, well that’s a different story, but it’ll never be more than a niche hunting activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

Trapping is not the answer as there’s just no time/interest amongst most hunters….now if there was tremendous statewide predator hunting, well that’s a different story, but it’ll never be more than a niche hunting activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are studies showing a correlation between fur prices and turkey numbers higher fur prices better turkey numbers

19 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Fish n game website has a nice video of their 130 anniversary of conservation…

I think this is a young Bob Erickson who assisted w the reintroduction of turkeys in the 1980s

1A92D16E-67C2-4617-ADCA-D329A0A23942.jpeg

I remember seeing Turkeys with transmitting devices near Lake Atsion in the mid 80s.

3 hours ago, NJTrapper said:

Trapping is a conservation tool. You have to start thinking less of what money it will bring and what it would produce as a tool. Once the predators run out of turkey's , they move on to what ever is available next.

In the trapping classes, we run anywhere from 20 - 30 students, of which MAYBE, 1-2 will become trappers. The farmers who have raccoon problems don't really care what fur prices are, they just want them gone.  Raccoons, opossums, skunks, all eat eggs. Fox, coyotes, bobcats all gobble up the polts when they are the most vulnerable when they are on the ground and of course when full grown.

As a conservationist, we should all use trapping as the tool it meant to be, to keep these populations under control. More should consider getting their trapping licence.

I agree with what you say but also think there are other factors involved besides price of fur. For instance, I would love to trap on wma in January but do not have the license because trapping would interfere with deer hunting for me. But I could very easily do both if I did not have to then take fur home and do all that work. I hunt morning and then swap sd cards (many times in new locations for scouting purposes) until I climb back in for afternoon hunt. But that mid day checking cams could be spent checking snares. After an hour drive to and from and hunting all day the last thing I want to do is deal with fur when I get home. I would love to play a role in predator control. But not at the expense of enjoying the deer hunting. So I think the time to check lines, deal with fur prevents many from trapping. The checking the lines is not the issue for me. It is the time to deal with the fur. And some guys may be living out of apartments, etc and not set up to be able to handle fur.

24 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

But I could very easily do both if I did not have to then take fur home and do all that work.

You don't HAVE to take the fur home. If you are trapping for "predator control", there is no law saying, for example, you have to take the coyote or fox or coon and prepare its fur. AFAIK, furbearers are not on the list in the wanton-waste law. Nothing requires you legally to take the fur home.

People might have an ethical problem with that (i.e. "don't waste the resource! blah blah blah") but personally, if you are doing it for predator control, that's all the ethical reason you need, and there is nothing illegal about it (that I know of).

Predators are definitely an issue but there are definitely other factors concerning turkey numbers.  We have had a cold wet spring at critical times putting a huge damper on poult survival the last few springs.  Killing fox, coyote, raccoon, and skunk is a small part in the big picture (but critical).  What about predators we cant kill like hawks and owls?  Wild cats have a huge impact on all bird survival rates.  I would think the natural cycle and possibly some type of widespread disease affects our turkey.  It baffles me how populations are affected over huge areas of nj, pa, and ny in areas from big woods to suburban populations all declining.

1 hour ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Predators are definitely an issue but there are definitely other factors concerning turkey numbers.  We have had a cold wet spring at critical times putting a huge damper on poult survival the last few springs.  Killing fox, coyote, raccoon, and skunk is a small part in the big picture (but critical).  What about predators we cant kill like hawks and owls?  Wild cats have a huge impact on all bird survival rates.  I would think the natural cycle and possibly some type of widespread disease affects our turkey.  It baffles me how populations are affected over huge areas of nj, pa, and ny in areas from big woods to suburban populations all declining.

Members on huntingny have reported many " Large+ Dry" Pocket Areas of No Turkeys especially in Western NY. These are the same areas where the Fall Turkey take would exceed 1,000 Turkeys taken back in the late 1980s in some Western Counties. 

I have read the same thing in different  States. Dry Pocket areas of no Turkeys- while areas 20 miles away have plenty.  

I don't  know what the reason is- but it could be very many or " A Death By A Thousand Cuts".

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

21 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

I personally  think Black Bears and their Keen Nose will Locate Turkey Nests. Called up a curious Black Bear 2 Springs Back. Nothing but Black Bears up in the Mts. Near the New York Border. Hope to get Lucky and Kill 1 NJ Gobbler this Spring.

Open the Black Bear Season...

There's still birds in Sterling Forest by Bailey Rocks and by Black Rock Mountain.  Shot at a jake and missed by Bailey Rocks last fall. Had them gobbling by the dump truck and Black Rock Mountain last spring. 

The problem with hunting Baily Rocks in the spring is they don't open the gate so you must park near houses on East Shore drive making it difficult to maintain 500 feet from the houses

19 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

I shoot at least one coyote or fox during turkey season. If they come in and I get a shot, I take it

Doesn’t matter what I’m after, if I see a yote, it quickly becomes a coyote hunt. Too bad more guys don’t think this way. 

2 hours ago, 230jhp said:

There's still birds in Sterling Forest by Bailey Rocks and by Black Rock Mountain.  Shot at a jake and missed by Bailey Rocks last fall. Had them gobbling by the dump truck and Black Rock Mountain last spring. 

The problem with hunting Baily Rocks in the spring is they don't open the gate so you must park near houses on East Shore drive making it difficult to maintain 500 feet from the houses

Plenty of Turkeys in Orange County. Plenty of Hikers start out at Dawn off East Shore. A Bunch of them get out very early with Dogs as well. Multiple use for sure.

15 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Plenty of Turkeys in Orange County. Plenty of Hikers start out at Dawn off East Shore. A Bunch of them get out very early with Dogs as well. Multiple use for sure.

Do they still have that bowhunting only area in sterling? And if so can you turkey hunt that? Or did they do away with that area all together? Been several years since i hunted that area.

1 hour ago, hemlock said:

Do they still have that bowhunting only area in sterling? And if so can you turkey hunt that? Or did they do away with that area all together? Been several years since i hunted that area.

Far as,I know you can Hunt Turkeys in the " Bow areas" with the Bow.

Below is the Sterling Forest Hunting Map - ( North ) with all the Bow Areas in Brown with the Archer exblem.

20220407_115245.jpg