IGNORED

SITKA GEAR VERSUS FIRST LITE

MPSR

I'm on my second year of using Sika. I will say in my opinion that nothing compares in any shape or form with the exception of quality wool (Raven Wear, King of the Mountain) which are old school classics . I have 2 early sets and 2 late sets including the Finatic bibs and Jacket. I just ordered a First Lite complete set for my oldest son. Quality seems to look and feel slightly off from Sitka especially the zippers. He is 5'6 at 13 years old so my intentions are to use it for a year or so and pass to his younger brother. Appreciate any feedback with First Lite and what your thoughts are compared to Sika. Reviews are all mixed. 

My feedback is biased -- I've only started buying Sitka last three years; have bunch of their waterfowl stuff (minus waders) plus stuff for early bow/turkey. Hudson bibs and gradient hoody are probably my favorite pieces. I also really like the traverse hoody I have for deer and turkey despite the reviews on it. No deer specific stuff because it just doesn't really get cold enough anymore I feel like to justify buying some of their deer-specific stuff. I used to crack bunch of buddies owning it, now I will never own anything else although friend of mine has tried some first lite base layers and seems likes them more than Sitka. I'd think at some point it's apples to apples, who knows. I doubt I will go deviate since I get their discount which is a nice plus. 

I don't have an answer to the OP question - I don't have experience - but I would find out how First Lite survives the brush compares to the durability of Sitka. After fit and comfort, that would be my very next consideration. This is why I don't buy Sitka or any of those crazy-high-priced clothing (well, aside from the fact I'm cheap) -how does it hold up walking through briars and things like that? I have a pair of Cabelas bibs - cost me $70 or something so relatively inexpensive. A few days ago I finished sewing up 7 little tears in the upper thighs from rips I get walking through sticker bushes and all kinds of pointy brush. I love my Cabelas bibs so I try to maintain them as best I can, but it's getting old having to keep sewing up these little tears I get every year. But if I had to go through that with a $400 pair of bibs, it would give me a conniption. I'd be afraid to walk through a briar patch if I was wearing a $400 jacket or bibs.

Are these expensive Sitka-type clothing impervious to tears? I don't see how - I mean, sometimes these briars are like tiny little knives when you walk through them. I wouldn't want to spend $400 on bibs or a jacket only to get little tears in them every year just like I do now.

I’ve never tried First Lite though a friend of mine has some and loves it. I do have a bunch of Sitka. I have the ESW(early season whitetail) set, the Stratus set and the Fanatic set. I also have the mountain pants and some other pieces I use for turkey hunting. The ESW is the lightest, coolest clothing I’ve ever worn and for early season deer hunting, it’s outstanding. Draws moisture away and evaporates it perfectly. The Stratus set takes me through most of the winter and the Fanatic set is my coyote hunting stuff for late winter and real cold windy weather. I had given up on being able to stay warm. Sitka gear is the real deal and works as advertised. I couldn’t be happier and it definitely extends my time hunting. I am absolutely never even near cold even in zero degree, windy conditions. I’ll never be without it.

This was my first season with Sitka, Stratus and Fanatic. The Stratus was great right through six day, and the Fanatic for the 0 to 20 degree days, including being windproof. I am very impressed with the design and function of each. Very well thought out pocket locations, zippers in key spots, and even fitted arms. Although they run one size small, I found layering very comfortable. On my Illinois gun hunt I carried the Fanatic jacket in and layered up as I cooled off. All in all, I'm very happy with Sitka.

Edited by electric10162

My son and his friends have First Lite and they are very happy with everything so far. For younger hunters that grow like weeds I would stay away from the very expensive gear even if they are going to pass it down. IMO 

Also the First Lite gear is more of an athletic cut so if this purchase was for you I would stay away from it. :D

8 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I don't have an answer to the OP question - I don't have experience - but I would find out how First Lite survives the brush compares to the durability of Sitka. After fit and comfort, that would be my very next consideration. This is why I don't buy Sitka or any of those crazy-high-priced clothing (well, aside from the fact I'm cheap) -how does it hold up walking through briars and things like that? I have a pair of Cabelas bibs - cost me $70 or something so relatively inexpensive. A few days ago I finished sewing up 7 little tears in the upper thighs from rips I get walking through sticker bushes and all kinds of pointy brush. I love my Cabelas bibs so I try to maintain them as best I can, but it's getting old having to keep sewing up these little tears I get every year. But if I had to go through that with a $400 pair of bibs, it would give me a conniption. I'd be afraid to walk through a briar patch if I was wearing a $400 jacket or bibs.

Are these expensive Sitka-type clothing impervious to tears? I don't see how - I mean, sometimes these briars are like tiny little knives when you walk through them. I wouldn't want to spend $400 on bibs or a jacket only to get little tears in them every year just like I do now.

I've never tried the Sitka cold weather stuff but this late season I used First Lite Sanctuary 2.0 bib for the 0-20F days and it was a game changer. The handwarmer pocket across the chest also meant that I got away with light shooting gloves instead of carrying in another heavy pair for the sit.  If I layered my chest up well I could do perfectly toasty long sits, even without a jacket!  It's unbelievable stuff. Zippers and pockets, overall design is great. 

However, during the last week of the season I got out of the stand and walked 30 yards through normal light brush (multiflora rose, barberry) for central NJ without really paying attention, looking ahead excitedly for the deer I'd hit. When I finished dragging it out (along a path) I looked down to a 6"x3" L-shaped tear in the shin. So now I'm doing the tear sewing you describe, on a really expensive bib (no need to spend $385 if you hit the sale around Tgiving or get them to give you a 30% discount code which is pretty easy). For the price I expected something a little more resistant, but our roses suck and even in the light stuff the bibs got ripped. Of course, I'm kind of a kamikazee with the roses. But in this case they really weren't anywhere near what we know to be "bad" in this part of the state.  I hate making noise and leaving scent by putting on bibs at the base of the stand, but that looks like it's the only way to go. 

Edited by JFC1

4 hours ago, OMC said:

My son and his friends have First Lite and they are very happy with everything so far. For younger hunters that grow like weeds I would stay away from the very expensive gear even if they are going to pass it down. IMO 

Also the First Lite gear is more of an athletic cut so if this purchase was for you I would stay away from it. :D

LOL :kissbutt: love you buddy:rofl:

I have both the First Lite stuff definitely runs a lot bigger, both keep me warm…the first lite is not waterproof and would get shredded in briars/thorns but that’s not what it’s made for nor how I use it. 

My first lite gear is way quieter but Sitka is warmer. I’d say you can’t go wrong with either

Edited by Herd Buck