IGNORED

Short 15 years

6 minutes ago, bucky said:

With the lack of fish now, most days you would struggle to catch an eight fish limit unless they lowered the keeper size . I fish often so I don't mind the 3 fish limit and playing catch and release after

Eight fish was at 17” then .

I personally felt the five fish limit was best over all .

3 fish at todays prices doesn’t cut it .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

It’s really a shame what the government in this country has done to literally everything in our lives. Who would have thought even recreational saltwater fishing would be destroyed let alone everything else they have managed to screw up. Try thinking of something in your head in our lives today that the govt hasn’t touched and f’ed up in one way or another? Pathetic. 

Hammer just clarifying your post. Do u hold njfish and game responsible for this? I may disagree with thr trout allocation but I think they do a good job overall. I think they set limits based on population studies? Saltwater is tough because the ocean is bigger than new jersey sob lol!  I'll use Fortescue as an example. I've seen Chinese filling coolers with shorties. I reported them. I confronted and cursed them out. But if I ruled the kingdom they would be hanging from the bridge as a message. Multiply that group of three times all the ones that occur in the state. I've always wondered the effects of dredging and relation to fish. Once dredging began I saw big drop in weakfish.

41 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Hammer just clarifying your post. Do u hold njfish and game responsible for this? I may disagree with thr trout allocation but I think they do a good job overall. I think they set limits based on population studies? Saltwater is tough because the ocean is bigger than new jersey sob lol!  I'll use Fortescue as an example. I've seen Chinese filling coolers with shorties. I reported them. I confronted and cursed them out. But if I ruled the kingdom they would be hanging from the bridge as a message. Multiply that group of three times all the ones that occur in the state. I've always wondered the effects of dredging and relation to fish. Once dredging began I saw big drop in weakfish.

No , NJ fish and game does not set the rules .

NOAA  through NMFS. Sets the framework .

NJ marine council then adopts those rules .

here in NJ NJFG has been trying to push for changes at the Federal level .

but it’s been met by great resistance .

doesn’t take much searching to see salt water fisheries managers making the rules have failed miserably .

and even when they can see those failures they refuse to admit they were wrong and correct the problem until each of those fisheries crash .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

13 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

doesn’t take much searching to see salt water fisheries managers making the rules have failed miserably .

and even when they can see those failures they refuse to admit they were wrong and correct the problem until each of those fisheries crash .

The big striped bass were a perfect example, I witness bass over 30 lbs be killed and stacked like cord wood at the docks and knew the end was near, but it took  years to finally give them the protection they needed :down:

Edited by bucky

5 minutes ago, bucky said:

The big striped bass were a perfect example, I witness bass over 30 lbs be killed and stacked like cord wood at the docks and knew the end was near, but it took  years to finally give them the protection they needed :down:

And what many guys didn’t see from around here was .

‘They were stacking up huge egg laden females in VA that way for 5 months out of the year .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Marine fisheries “management” is an oxymoron. It is criminal the way we mismanage our saltwater fisheries. Far too many politics and far too little biology. But that’s a topic for another day. Good post, Dan. 

NMFS oxymoron you can use that word I could think of better you say criminal you can say that also and certainly political. But the Science part is not true they have plenty of science thats where they get all there funding problem is it’s mostly bad science and that my friends is what keep the money coming witch makes it political. Remember with bad science they  meaning NMFS can bend the strings however they want to keep their funding coming. 

Edited by smittty

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

No , NJ fish and game does not set the rules .

NOAA  through NMFS. Sets the framework .

NJ marine council then adopts those rules .

here in NJ NJFG has been trying to push for changes at the Federal level .

but it’s been met by great resistance .

Hit the mail on the head. Rule number 1 when you work in the government.  Never admit to the public you were wrong…

1 hour ago, bucky said:

Yep. Really was a shame. A lot of for hire boats going out back then when the limit was 2 and keeping a 3rd bonus fish as we for each guy. Sometimes 3 fish in the 30,40 lb range  per guy… for what? A big d*ck photo at the dock? Charters going out twice a day 6 0r 7 days a week. We can all do the math… shame is that some of those same captains claim they can never do really damage or decimate a population with rod and reel. I beg to differ.

Hammer said it best here years ago and it always stuck with me. “ you never hear the same hooting, hollering and enjoyment from catching that fish months later when you open up the freezer to take out those freezer burned fillets”. 

I'm no expert but have been fishing for over 50 years. I see species of fish increase and decline. Don't know why. Could be a lot of reasons. I remember back the 80's, you had to hide your hook to bait it if you were fishing for Weakfish in Raritan Bay they were so plentiful. You could catch "Tiderunners" on metal off the tips of Jetties in Monmouth County. They are almost extinct now. Striped Bass have had ups and down. Bluefish were almost always plentiful until about 5 years ago. You almost could not avoid them. Ling and Whiting could be caught off the Long Branch Pier by the buckets full. I used to catch Fluke at will off the Jetties in Deal and Elberon. 

I would hope that everything goes full circle again.