IGNORED

Converting to Trad.

LanceinNJ

Without going into to much detail I’m looking for some help to convert to traditional archery. I have a couple of recurves that I mess around with, but I want to totally switch over. I think I’m set equipment wise, ( bow arrows heads etc…). I’m just looking for someone to help me with form and consistency. I currently gap shoot, but I’m way to inconsistent to hunt at this point. I’m 54 and have been bowhunting for 41 years.    I’m in South Plainfield, but would be willing to travel for some help. Let me know and thanks in advance. 

My buddies and i constantly shoot most important thing is form and getting a good release... once it warms up we will be shooting at my house every evening as we always do... you are more than welcomed to join anytime we usually finish shooting and have a few beers and toss so food on my grill too

Theres more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than the surness of a gun!The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind!

8 minutes ago, Bone collector 85 said:

My buddies and i constantly shoot most important thing is form and getting a good release... once it warms up we will be shooting at my house every evening as we always do... you are more than welcomed to join anytime we usually finish shooting and have a few beers and toss so food on my grill too

Would love to. As soon as it warms up I’ll get in touch. 

Do you have an ID card to shoot at the county range at Oakridge in Clark? If so i could meet you there after hunting winds down and get you shooting correctly/instinctively. I’ve taught dozens of shooters from Girl Scout troops all the way up to seasoned shooters. 

First step you can do yourself… be honest with yourself  don’t try to overbow yourself. Learning how to shoot instinctively is a long process of getting reps and building form. You CANNOT do that with a bow that is too heavy for you.

19 minutes ago, flukebelly said:

Do you have an ID card to shoot at the county range at Oakridge in Clark? If so i could meet you there after hunting winds down and get you shooting correctly/instinctively. I’ve taught dozens of shooters from Girl Scout troops all the way up to seasoned shooters. 

First step you can do yourself… be honest with yourself  don’t try to overbow yourself. Learning how to shoot instinctively is a long process of getting reps and building form. You CANNOT do that with a bow that is too heavy for you.

What kind of ID card do I need? I’ve been shooting bows my whole life. I currently shoot 72 lbs with my compound but am shooting 43 with my recurve. I don’t feel overbowed, but I’m very open to some expertise. Like I said I’m looking for as much help as I can get. I’ve read a ton, and think I have the correct arrow setup but again we’ll see. Let’s try to get together after the season. Thank You. 

Sorry, just woke up.

hunterbob provided the correct link.

our safety classes will start in April and run about 2 hrs. You will basically hear everything you already know ( its a basic beginners class) and then you will be eligible for a range pass. Pretty easy formality for insurance purposes.

In the mean time,

bring your target in to 5yds. Put it up at waist to chest height.

black out the whole face of the target and put a dime sized bright dot on it. 

Keep shooting at that dot , at that range until you can hit it every time. You should be able to do it with your eyes closed by the time you are proficient. ( only at this distance really )

Continue the process in 5 yd increments until you are getting the same results each time. 

With instinctive shooting focus is everything and this is a foundational exercise to give your mind reps at “feeling” where to point every time you bring the bow up.

form and shooting style are whole other issues, but I’ve seen snap shooters , gap shooters, long hold shooters, all shoot as well as the other.

12 hours ago, LanceinNJ said:

I’m just looking for someone to help me with form and consistency. I currently gap shoot, but I’m way to inconsistent to hunt at this point.

If you can hit a softball almost every time at 15-20  yards you are doing pretty good.  You are going to throw one once in a while.   Good luck.

Flukebelly I'll def come to take the class to get a pass. At 5 yards I'm going to start in the basement right away. I've been shooting at  about 15 yards, and I have good days and bad days. I'll keep an eye out for the class. Thanks again to everyone. It's quite a change going from hitting Quarters at 40 yards to missing basketballs at 15.