IGNORED

Converting to Trad.

LanceinNJ

2 hours ago, LanceinNJ said:

Flukebelly I'll def come to take the class to get a pass. At 5 yards I'm going to start in the basement right away. I've been shooting at  about 15 yards, and I have good days and bad days. I'll keep an eye out for the class. Thanks again to everyone. It's quite a change going from hitting Quarters at 40 yards to missing basketballs at 15. 

If you are missing basketballs keep practicing until you consistently hit a pie plate at 15 to 20 yards  . Like Nomad said you will have a flyer here and there . Don't hunt until you can hit that pie plate . You have plenty of time to put it all together. Make sure your not shooting to much weight .Start light to get your form right and move up .Many deer killed with 40 lb bow , 

3 hours ago, LanceinNJ said:

Flukebelly I'll def come to take the class to get a pass. At 5 yards I'm going to start in the basement right away. I've been shooting at  about 15 yards, and I have good days and bad days. I'll keep an eye out for the class. Thanks again to everyone. It's quite a change going from hitting Quarters at 40 yards to missing basketballs at 15. 

Practice practice practice makes perfect. Well almost. Build's those bow muscles more than a 50 to 75% let off compound. I started out as a kid with the recurve, compounds weren't legal yet. I personally got sick when they did but that's another story. My friends and I shot almost everyday on and off hunting season. I believe it was Howard Hill who played in the Robin Hood movie he did the actual shooting he used to practice shooting 160 arrows a day. Shoot a bow poundage wise within your realm better to go lighter than heavier that way you'll be steadier. I stayed around 52 give or take an x.5"right-wing helical feathers. cockfeather in or out does not matter unlike vanes.I had a 31 1/2 draw length you could probably hold anchor longer than I could, me being 3 1/2 inchs over most bows max draw length the bow would stack, took work to get a consistent anchor index finger in corner of mouth and thumb on earlobe, if you're shooting around 28"s good for you. Like Fred Bear I basically was a snapshooter. I shot bare fingers. Trick is the release, quick Open flick of the fingers so as not to roll the string do not drop your bow arm at this point until after smooth arm follow through. You can do it good luck buddy:up:

IMG_20220127_134820398.jpg

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

17 hours ago, LanceinNJ said:

Without going into to much detail I’m looking for some help to convert to traditional archery. I have a couple of recurves that I mess around with, but I want to totally switch over. I think I’m set equipment wise, ( bow arrows heads etc…). I’m just looking for someone to help me with form and consistency. I currently gap shoot, but I’m way to inconsistent to hunt at this point. I’m 54 and have been bowhunting for 41 years.    I’m in South Plainfield, but would be willing to travel for some help. Let me know and thanks in advance. 

If you already have been shooting for 41 years, i dont think you will need help . Make sure your bow has the correct string and it’s braced according to the manufacturer specs. The biggest mistake I see with new trad shooters is being over bowed. That will cause you to snap shoot and believe me, it is a bear to break out of that habit. I have always shot instinctively and it has served me well. For Bowhunting situations everything needs to be automatic and I dont want to put any thought into the shot process when I am drawing on a whitetail. Get a string button andor pick a spot on your nose or face when a finger/flectch touches a spot on you face, at your draw length. This will create a consistent anchor. Go roving with some Judo heads and concentrate on shooting various objects at  various distances and elevations.  That will do wonders for your shooting. Another thing I saw many years ago from one of the Wensel  brothers is he throws a hand full of golf balls out in the yard and shoots at them where they landed. Good luck ! 

I'm at 27.5 inch draw using a 45@28" bow. I've always shot split finger, but started messing with 3 under this past summer and actually prefer it. Gonna follow everyone's advice, but it sounds like the most important I already knew, which was practice.  Gonna start tonight in the basement at close range. It looks like some of you guys are within a half hour. When the weather breaks it would be great to sling some arrows with you. Thanks again.