IGNORED

who had an old Baker climbing stand from the 80's

njdoxie

Saw a mention in another thread about a Baker climbing stand, it brought back memories.  Who here had one?  Any close calls?

For those that don't know, these were the first climbing stands, and they had no seat section, so you had to bear hug the tree on the way up and down.  I loved mine.

I would only go up about 10 feet, got nervous after that, as I didn't know about safety belts back then.

I had one close call....I was up about 6 feet and instantly came down, I wasn't hurt, but I was startled.  I was young and not risk averse, so that didn't keep me from continuing to use, just tried to get my weight out further from the tree.

As soon as they were available I moved onto better climbers.  My friend was a machinist and built a few, I bought one from him, served me well, was a huge upgrade as it was a sit and stand climber.

I've owned a few over the years, my goto now is a Treewalker climber, that's basically all I hunt out of, I don't have any ladder stands or hang-ons.

The baker was the first stand I ever hunted out of. My dad and I both used them for years. Believe it or not I  still have them. Actually I have four of them. Two of the bigger ones and two of the smaller ones. I believe the smaller ones are called the mighty mite. Now they hang in my garage and I look at them thinking wow what was I thinking. Dangerous as hell especially when the tree was wet. Good ole days . Lol.

That was the first stand I used. Always an adventure! Best time was when you climbed up a dry tree and then you got some freezing rain. Made for a fun slide down. I used to sit on the platform and use the strap that hung down to stand up. I dont think the strap was made for that. Thank god I was a little lighter back then!

2 minutes ago, Horn63 said:

That was the first stand I used. Always an adventure! Best time was when you climbed up a dry tree and then you got some freezing rain. Made for a fun slide down. I used to sit on the platform and use the strap that hung down to stand up. I dont think the strap was made for that. Thank god I was a little lighter back then!

I always tried to pick a tree with heavy bark

Had the baker slim Jim climber, bought it at butts and bows in Belleville think it was 60 or 65. Drilled probably 100 1/4" holes in the plywood platform to cut down on wt. Maybe I knocked a pound off of the original factory 23 lb's.lol..  took an  hand grinder, cutting wheel serrated cut teeth in the upper part of the hand climber and  the platform should have applied for patent back then.:banghead:.. the wingnuts were fun I finger fumbled a few that are still in some wood I drilled holes in the upper arms of the stand bolts with extra Wing nuts. I survived but I had some close calls!!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Killed my first deer in the Baker. Used the mighty mite for a few seasons and gave to my cousin. My Dad and his Buddies modified the upper climbing part with a drop down seat and a short piece of rope to tie top and bottom together. I remember losing the bottom once climbing a tree in the Gap. Lucky I was only 17 and nimble as a cat. My Dad took at least two rides down the tree.....at least the ones he admitted.

11 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Had the baker slim Jim climber, bought it at butts and bows in Belleville think it was 60 or 65. Drilled probably 100 1/4" holes in the plywood platform to cut down on wt. Maybe I knocked a pound off of the original factory 23 lb's.lol..  took an  hand grinder, cutting wheel serrated cut teeth in the upper part of the hand climber and  the platform should have applied for patent back then.:banghead:.. the wingnuts were fun I finger fumbled a few that are still in some wood I drilled holes in the upper arms of the stand bolts with extra Wing nuts. I survived but I had some close calls!!

Used to carry a bunch of 1/4" wingnuts in my fanny pack.