IGNORED

Is killing a deer with a gun really hunting?

JHbowhunter

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

Yes, those days were precious.  6 days of shotgun buck hunting and 1 day shotgun doe.  Monday was the greatest day of the year.  Everyone was out.  Deer running around all day.  If it had antlers of any kind it went down, and you were very happy to get it. I remember trying so hard to find 3 inch spikes on a group of does.

When I was in 8th grade, I wanted to take off of school to hunt opening day of buck week. My parents wanted me to talk to my principal before I took off to discuss gun safety. He was a big deer hunter. I remember the day clearly when I walked into his office the Friday before 6 day. I only saw a doe but, my friend shot a nice 8 point that day. Good times. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

16 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

When I was in 8th grade, I wanted to take off of school to hunt opening day of buck week. My parents wanted me to talk to my principal before I took off to discuss gun safety. He was a big deer hunter. I remember the day clearly when I walked into his office the Friday before 6 day. I only saw a doe but, my friend shot a nice 8 point that day. Good times. 

Must have been an awesome time living down there John 👍

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SYNMKGZllL472VafB1TIyQHpEZ0HRG-6/view?usp=drivesdk

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

15 hours ago, Nomad said:

Yes, those days were precious.  6 days of shotgun buck hunting and 1 day shotgun doe.  Monday was the greatest day of the year.  Everyone was out.  Deer running around all day.  If it had antlers of any kind it went down, and you were very happy to get it. I remember trying so hard to find 3 inch spikes on a group of does.

Yes they were.  The seasons were much more meaningful back when they were shorter.  

Great pics Electric!  I used to hunt at Buttermilk falls with my father when I started in the mid 70's, for many years the first snowfall always seemed to be the day before opening day.  My father would put me in a spot and tell me to sit still, and to be ready around 11:00 when he would walk over my way and try to push some deer my way - it worked a few times!

When I got to High School I was on the basketball team, if you missed 1 practice during the week you didn't play on Friday night.  The Saturday before opening day I would tell my coach I'll be sick on Monday.  After a serious talk of what it mean to be on his team, sportsmanship etc, I would say yeah but I'm going deer hunting.  He would laugh and say good luck.  

2 hours ago, 2 Brits said:

Great pics Electric!  I used to hunt at Buttermilk falls with my father when I started in the mid 70's, for many years the first snowfall always seemed to be the day before opening day.  My father would put me in a spot and tell me to sit still, and to be ready around 11:00 when he would walk over my way and try to push some deer my way - it worked a few times!

When I got to High School I was on the basketball team, if you missed 1 practice during the week you didn't play on Friday night.  The Saturday before opening day I would tell my coach I'll be sick on Monday.  After a serious talk of what it mean to be on his team, sportsmanship etc, I would say yeah but I'm going deer hunting.  He would laugh and say good luck.  

Hope you mean the valley at BM Falls  Climbed to the top a few times Not easy till the Convicts installed the Stairway but still no easy Task, last time there is

twas in bad shape,  Shame what has become of the valley 

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

2 hours ago, electric10162 said:

Some old pics from Old Dingmans Road Layton. Mid 80s

IMG_20181223_153005126.thumb.jpg.22170d6c65b027f8e807c55a412c3186.jpgIMG_20181223_152944859.thumb.jpg.4c7b9b869b93b434f4fb272fe7af65c7.jpgIMG_20181223_152933269.thumb.jpg.3e26f59407b966833642973653196f65.jpgIMG_20181223_153023671.thumb.jpg.7e25b5d20968ad157091eacf5335e338.jpg

Had Family that lived on Van Auken Rd  Right on the  the Delaware river off of OLd Mine Road Never had much luck in that area, Access was to easy for Road warriors, Nice deer you have there.  The area had a Nickname G*******  Mountain Brown and Down Open season 

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif