IGNORED

For those bashing HHH >>>>——————->>

2 hours ago, toxo said:

I think guys aren't bashing the purpose of HHH they are bashing the fact that guys that get their 1 or 2 deer and might been done Hunting for the year are using HHH as an excuse to go back  out and greedily kill all the deer they want. HHH is a great program!

I think you may be viewing things from a skewed position there my friend. Let’s discuss!😁
So, it’s your, and some of the others here, position that after a guy shoots 2 deer he’s basically done (or in your view, should be done) for the season, and that simply the availability of an outlet to make use of additional deer kills is the reason he keeps killing deer? 
That’s kinda like saying, let’s not put too much money in that bank cause it will make people want to rob it!🤦‍♂️

I think what many of the opponents of HHH donations and additional deer kills are missing is, first, hunters like to hunt, the state allows us very liberal season lengths and bag limits because it serves multiple purposes, with the main one being herd size management in this densely populated state of ours.
 So the state gets the population control, and we get many recreational hours to hunt, they go hand in hand, they are not mutually exclusive. 

Second, The state doesn't manage the deer herd for you to take your one buck a year, and then hang it up till next year. If that was the only deer management done in NJ, many parts of the state would be even more overrun with deer then they are now, density levels would quickly become socially intolerable, and more habitat would be degraded, because taking one buck a year accomplishes absolutely zero to herd health and management, ZERO, and then relies on others to kill enough deer to make an impact and keep the deer densities at tolerable levels, and continue to show the state that hunters can, and are willing to,  in fact manage the deer herd in NJ. 
I typically don’t rant on the “one buck a year” trophy hunters, because I like to kill a nice buck as much as the next guy, but when this type of ridicules rhetoric emerges I have to voice my position. 
After you guys take your trophy for the year, what further contribution do you make to managing deer in NJ?

You do realize that in all likelihood, if hunters weren’t responsible for managing the deer herd in this densely populated state, we’d likely have no deer hunting allowed,(I.e., no more bear season) because we’ve maintained for decades that the sportsman of NJ can manage the deer, that’s what we’ve based the entire purpose of our hunting in NJ on, and also used that same argument against antis, and to the media, when we’re challenged on the legitimacy and necessity of “sport” hunting in NJ. 
So, to now turn around and say well, we need to stop reducing the yearly population because I want to see 30-40 deer every time I go out, or I want to shoot a 150” buck every season, is like I mentioned earlier, selfish and shortsighted. 
If we don’t live up to the responsibility we accepted, one that we use as a justification for our chosen sport and pass time to continue, then there’s no reason to continue to allow hunting here. 

So all the guys that are trash talking their fellow hunters who are carrying the load, and that allow you to leisurely go out a few times a year, shoot your buck, go home happy, and then bitch that guys are shooting too many deer, really should understand that without the extra kills, the donations to the food banks, the good will that these efforts carry with them, the thankful families who get free meals, you’d likely be chasing your trophy dreams in some other state and at a much greater expense. 

So how about taking a look from the other side of the coin once in a while, and see that you’re reaping great benefits from many sportsman in NJ who generously spend an inordinate amount of time, money and effort, doing what needs to be done to make sure we do the job we promised we’d do in our state, and ensure that hunters will continue to deer hunt here for decades to come!

Rant over, carry on…

Who wrote this for you Dr. John? :bonk:I stated that it was not my opinion. I offered what I thought might be part of the problem. I also have the right  not to precipitate in deer management, I simply don't want to.

Thank you for (carrying the load) lol

Edited by Dinger

26 minutes ago, toxo said:

Who wrote this for you Dr. John? :bonk:I stated that it was not my opinion. I offered what I thought might be part of the problem. I also have the right  not to precipitate in deer management, I simply don't want to.

Thank you for (carrying the load) lol

Ha! It wasn’t only addressed to you, you happened to be the messenger!😂

Of course you have that right, and nobody is saying you don’t, your personal choice.
On the other hand, some of our fellow hunters seem to feel it’s their right to tell us we “SHOULDN'T” participate in deer management, which is our right to do, isn’t it? 
That’s where I have a problem. Live and let live all the way for me, until someone wants to live on their end, but then tells me I can’t live on mine!

I don't know any hunters that say, "I'm going out to manage the deer herd today".  Some will go out to Trophy hunt. Some will go out to fill the freezer. In all of that, management is practiced. We don't "manage" the herd. The State does by setting bag limits. It may not be the way you want it but it's their responsibility. When populations are high, bag limits will be high. If you don't want to take full advantage of it, then the population will remain high to the benefit of those that do. Everyone should be happy but they are not unless you do what they think is right. What's right is the law. Everything else is meaningless.

8 minutes ago, Buckeyes11 said:

I don’t see how anything can be wrong with HHH. I’ve personally never done it. But good for those that have. I take 2 deer a year in NJ. That’s by choice. Had no problem shooting more for people that wanted em. But when time came to pay the butcher. The excuses started. I don’t do that anymore. 

Yeah, those butcher fees add up. The way I convince myself it's justified is by figuring out the final cost. If you get 50 lbs of meat and it cost $100 to butcher, then  $2.00 a pound is cheap to pay for good meat. Of course, it doesn't include all your other costs. But it's an angle. :up:

15 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Yeah, those butcher fees add up. The way I convince myself it's justified is by figuring out the final cost. If you get 50 lbs of meat and it cost $100 to butcher, then  $2.00 a pound is cheap to pay for good meat. Of course, it doesn't include all your other costs. But it's an angle. :up:

I use a butcher solely out of convenience when I need to..  I brought 2 to butcher this year and did 2 myself..  I would rather fo myself as I know what I want and need cut wise but with 2 young kids sometimes the convenience outlays the cost to me

Just now, vdep217 said:

I use a butcher solely out of convenience when I need to..  I brought 2 to butcher this year and did 2 myself..  I would rather fo myself as I know what I want and need cut wise but with 2 young kids sometimes the convenience outlays the cost to me

Me too. Only in the late season when the weather is fairly cold. In early bow season they go to the Butcher with the walk in cooler.

22 hours ago, Hitemnasty said:

They wouldn’t need hunters just looking to kill to feed HHH if all the deer the farmers waste went to good use. 

We could feed every homeless /hungry person in the country if we weren't allowing our country to be over run by illegal immigrants either. 

So many ways to take care of our own but we don't. 

Sounds like a good program

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

After I retired I worked part-time at Walmart made me sick what I had to throw in the dumpster because the label said it was a day old. Time's that across the country tens of thousands of pounds of food. 😢

https://www.rts.com/resources/guides/food-waste-america/

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Sharing food with hungry people or those less fortunate is one of the greatest gifts you can share. Remember "but for the grace of God there go I". I have given plenty of deer meat to the soup kitchens run by the Missionaries of Charities in the city which was the order that was run by Mother Theresa. They didn't turn away any donations. My father in law was a butcher and worked the soup kitchens twice a week when he retired. We cut up quite a few deer into stew meat just so the meat wasn't wasted. I also gave some trout from fishing season so things wouldn't go to waste. It is a very gracious and humbling thing to do for someone who is hungry no matter how it gets there. I applaud any one of you that have shared your blessings with others

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."