IGNORED

NJ public land tampering.

Well I’m off today to help my wife with the baby.  We have an ultra sound for her today.  Figured I’d take an hour or two this morning to check my cam and stand as I haven’t been able to hunt since mid October with the baby.  Got here today and my camera is ripped of the tree my stand looks like it was attempted to be ripped off as well.  My pull rope for my bow/gun is cut.  Thank god I lock all this stuff up but still it’s sad what some people do cause they are so unhappy with their lives.  The joys of hunting public land.

then people wonder why people don’t want to spend the time and money hunting.

Regardless I fixed it all up and hopefully Monday will bring some luck! Keep on trucking y’all!

D7401A43-66E7-4557-B613-61BB311325DC.jpeg

Not surprising so close to 6-day. If I *do* leave stuff out in the woods, I am sure to take it out a few weeks before 6-day starts. But my thinking now is - never leave anything out on public that you expect to be there when you get back. I've even had stuff stolen/messed with on private land (in addition to, of course, public land).

If it will hurt to lose it, I won't leave it.

And before someone chimes in with the "it might be an anti" -- it isn't antis most of the time. I'm of the opinion it is other poachers (a.k.a. "hunters" without morals or ethics) that do this the vast majority of the time. Especially right before 6-day.

3 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

And before someone chimes in with the "it might be an anti" -- it isn't antis most of the time. I'm of the opinion it is other poachers (a.k.a. "hunters" without morals or ethics) that do this the vast majority of the time. Especially right before 6-day.

You May be right I tried to be optimistic. I live with I still believe most old and new hunters there's a respect!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Typical. Last year I was at my stand on a Wed. Went back on same Friday and half the stand was gone and there was a new ladder up 20 feet away. So yes it probably was another angry hunter.  That was the stand I hunt with my 9yr old son out of. So he knows all about the class of guys out there. 

Sorry you had to deal with that also.

Good luck with baby and congrats. 

I wont put anything out there unless it has locks on it.

Its unfortunately the issue with public land hunting and humans beings in general. 

It also depends how deep in the woods your spot is - example - my spot is high up and difficult to get to but its not far off the road to get to it. Last year a few orange army members invaded during 6day but we have been lucky to not see many hunters. in fact, we haven't seen any sign of additional hunters except for one guy that bow hunts.

It could always be anti's - it could just be kids messing around in the woods (i know its a rare thing but there are still some that fret and wander in the woods like we used to instead of sitting at home on their apple products) - or the worst being the poachers. Honestly, they need to make stricter penalties for poaching and not abiding. You'd also figure if someone stole your trail camera, you could alert the manufacturer so when it is used something could be done about it(if its remote) that is.

20 minutes ago, mikejd said:

Typical. Last year I was at my stand on a Wed. Went back on same Friday and half the stand was gone and there was a new ladder up 20 feet away. So yes it probably was another angry hunter.  That was the stand I hunt with my 9yr old son out of. So he knows all about the class of guys out there. 

Sorry you had to deal with that also.

Good luck with baby and congrats. 

How did you explain that to your 9 year old son.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Wish they would just make it illegal to leave a stand set up unoccupied on public land and be done with this happening all the time.  It just pisses people off on both sides.  Went to check out a good looking spot on the map the other day close to where I had been hunting and seen good sign of deer pushing the leaves around for acorns, rubs, and scrapes.  Started looking for a spot to hide and there's an old stick stand there, then red paint on the trees to another old permanent stick stand that has a section of ladder against the tree, a jet sled tucked away there, and a pull up rope hanging off a pulley, so somebody is hunting illegally out of a permanent stand. Then followed more green/red paint and red flags every 10ft to a metal stand with sticks 50yds away from that.  Kept following the flags and paint and found another section of an extension ladder hidden in a couple blowdowns another 50+ yards away that would have been a good place for me to hide.  Then another metal stand and sticks exactly like the first one just passed that.  I'd like to have hunted there, but not dealing with another hunter that may not respect me being there before him that day.  It's not antis, it's other hunters with no respect.  Had enough stuff of mine stolen on public and private not to leave even a camera out during the season unless I don't care if it gets stolen

3 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Wish they would just make it illegal to leave a stand set up unoccupied on public land and be done with this happening all the time.  It just pisses people off on both sides.  Went to check out a good looking spot on the map the other day close to where I had been hunting and seen good sign of deer pushing the leaves around for acorns, rubs, and scrapes.  Started looking for a spot to hide and there's an old stick stand there, then red paint on the trees to another old permanent stick stand that has a section of ladder against the tree, a jet sled tucked away there, and a pull up rope hanging off a pulley, so somebody is hunting illegally out of a permanent stand. Then followed more green/red paint and red flags every 10ft to a metal stand with sticks 50yds away from that.  Kept following the flags and paint and found another section of an extension ladder hidden in a couple blowdowns another 50+ yards away that would have been a good place for me to hide.  Then another metal stand and sticks exactly like the first one just passed that.  I'd like to have hunted there, but not dealing with another hunter that may not respect me being there before him that day.  It's not antis, it's other hunters with no respect.  Had enough stuff of mine stolen on public and private not to leave even a camera out during the season unless I don't care if it gets stolen

6 day,New Jersey Gun hunters are the worst kinds!!!

12 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Hey this looks like a good spot. Looks more solid then the cardboard boxes in Jersey City.

https://www.njparksandforests.org/parks/highpointstatepark.html

6 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

That sucks man. It could be anti hunters but that's doubtful. I don't know why other hunters would tamper or steal from another hunter.

Had a guy try stealing my camera here last year I caught him in the act an old timer that often bird hunts with his dog there.  You never know who it could be. Trust no one lol.

We just went and pulled a couple of stands we had up for bow season on a piece we hunt. No reason to leave it there to get messed with or stolen. We have had Cams and stands stolen from this piece in the past. Some People Just Suck !!! 
I would never even think about touching another fellow hunters stuff.