IGNORED

Safety Zone Question

DJ0808

Yesterday I was on my folks property patterning in a new buckshot choke and giving my nephews their first shooting lessons with a .17 rifle. 

About 45 mins after we finish up some guy pulls up to end of driveway and starts going off that I can't shoot on my property because there's houses and horses "back there". For reference he had no idea of which direction we were shooting, evident by him asking if it was us shooting, and the "back there" he was referring to is on east side of property in attached pics. 

I tried to explain we were shooting into a 6ft high earth and log berm with several hundred feet of thick woods behind that, but he didn't want to hear it, so I just said "Sorry for any inconvenience, and we're done shooting for the day." then he left. Didn't want to get into a shouting match in front of the kids.

As far as I know the twp doesn't have any "no discharge ordnances" and guy even said it was alright for properties across hwy to west to shoot (which they do a ton every weekend) because "there's nothing behind them", so I'll confirm with local PD that I am legally allowed to target practice on property.

The whole target shooting thing aside, I know the 450 ft safety zone applies for hunting, not target shooting, so my question is if I'm hunting from my stand in the general area where all the lines converge and it is at least 450 ft to an occupiable building, am I legal from a hunting/safety zone aspect?

If so and guy gives me issues hunting do I call a CO to resolve it?

For reference the blue outlined areas are my dad's and neighbor's (approx. 14 acres) that I have permission to hunt.

This is first year hunting this property (got it in February), and so far adjacent neighbors have been cool with no issues (permission to hunt/recover deer from each other's property, exchanging deer info/tips, etc.).

Tbh given the guy mentioned he has horses and direction he indicated, I don't think he's even an adjacent property and would be somewhere thru woods and across road on east side of property.

Was really looking forward to muzzy/shotgun hunting here, but yesterday put a damper on that. If I have to keep it archery only by law I will make peace with it and find somewhere else for firearm hunting.

Aerial_1_distances.jpg

Aerial_2_distances.jpg

I don't know how thick those woods are - but if the end of those lines you marked with feet-markers are houses of your neighbors, tbh that seems a little close to be firing muzzies/rifles in those directions. Anything under 600 feet is under 200 yards... even though you may legally be inside the safety zone, I would be careful shooting there. You have to be aware of people and pets walking about in their yards not just inside their houses (I'm speaking regardless of the legality - thinking safety first).

Also - don't just concentrate on the main houses to determine safety zones - any sheds or those kind of structures count, too, when determining the center of a safety zone. Any building that can provide shelter from the elements (think: rain or thunderstorms, for example) count (as per a conversation I once had with a CO about this topic).

I can't tell from the satellite image you posted, but I circled things in red below that "may" be sheds or buildings like that that are closer... make sure you know what those are and if they are buildings like sheds, take them into account:

safety-zone-ques.jpg.23c6345b7a25543b022f32a489690958.jpg

1 minute ago, mazzgolf said:

Also - don't just concentrate on the main houses to determine safety zones - any sheds or those kind of structures count, too, when determining the center of a safety zone. Any building that can provide shelter from the elements (think: rain or thunderstorms, for example) count (as per a conversation I once had with a CO about this topic).

I can't tell from the satellite image you posted, but I circled things in red below that "may" be sheds or buildings like that that are closer... make sure you know what those are and if they are buildings like sheds, take them into account:

safety-zone-ques.jpg.23c6345b7a25543b022f32a489690958.jpg

I tried to measure to nearest structure (house, garage, shed, etc.), but will definitely double-check.

Also any shots I take would be from elevated stand so projectile is traveling downward. The aerial photo doesn't really show it, but the woods are dense with dense undergrowth.

That being said I realize there's a good bit of property that I will be archery only just to keep a good safety buffer, whether or not it's 450ft to a structure. Last thing I want is to create a safety hazard for anyone in the area.

3 minutes ago, bucky said:

True, but in most cases horse people are a pain in the ass

I haven't met all the people in the area yet and hadn't seen this guy before, but if it's one guy I'm thinking it may be, several neighbors have already told me the guy is a pain in the ass with 2 horses and calls himself a horse breeder. Two of the neighbors had to get cease and desist letters sent to him because he was "aggressively" video taping and bitching at them for falling trees on their own properties.

As per Fish and Wildlife: 

We do not regulate target practice except on lands managed by the Division of Fish and Wildlife, known as Wildlife Management Areas or WMAs. Check with your local law enforcement to see if there are any ordinances relating to target practice or the discharge of weapons in your municipality.

I did look thru the twp website and ecodes and didn't see any "no discharge" ordnances. Only thing I found was a resolution adopted in Feb 2020 declaring the town a Second Amendment Township (R-48-20).

I'm hoping since it says the township "supports the rights of lawful gun owners to lawfully use 
firearms; to defend themselves, their loved ones and other innocents; to lawfully hunt to 
provide sustenance for their families; and to lawfully participate in shooting sports up to 
and including Olympic sports" I'll be able to do target shooting with an appropriate backstop.

Right now that backstop is a 6' H x 20' W x 8' D earth and log berm, but I'm willing to make it larger as needed.

You don’t need to be 450’ for target shooting. However as it was explained to me you are responsible for everything that happens after that trigger is pulled.  I have about 6 acres with over 100 behind me.  Some of my neighbors on the road shoot as everyones property is laid out differently. (I was told the owner before me shot often)  However I occasionally see a quad or tractor going through the property behind me.  I am not comfortable with I will never fully know what’s happening in the woods behind me at any given time. Especially with leaves on the trees.  So I don’t shoot at my house even though it’s totally legal too.  Only you can make that decision.