IGNORED

Safety Zone Question

DJ0808

BTW: don't forget - even if you pull the trigger outside the safety zone, if the bullet/shot/slug ENTERS the safety zone, I think that is illegal too. I don't know if it says this in the actual statutes, but it is clearly stated in the digest that you can't shoot into a safety zone:

"Shooting into a safety zone is prohibited."

Page 26:

image.png.ae504a26638ac228eb0e631d9959c5bf.png

43 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

BTW: don't forget - even if you pull the trigger outside the safety zone, if the bullet/shot/slug ENTERS the safety zone, I think that is illegal too. I don't know if it says this in the actual statutes, but it is clearly stated in the digest that you can't shoot into a safety zone:

"Shooting into a safety zone is prohibited."

Page 26:

image.png.ae504a26638ac228eb0e631d9959c5bf.png

Only applies while hunting and trapping not target shooting.

1 hour ago, tpr1921 said:

Only applies while hunting and trapping not target shooting.

Yes, but he did say he would be gun hunting here:

"my question is if I'm hunting from my stand in the general area where all the lines converge and it is at least 450 ft to an occupiable building, am I legal from a hunting/safety zone aspect?"

Use good judgement but in my opinion guy seems like someone who’s an a**hole and can’t mind their own business.  Some people just can’t keep their mouths shut. I was drying a ground blind in my yard one day and I had a guy role up and start yelling at me that I can’t be hunting here.  I was like chill bro I’m drying it like you would a tent.  Then told him not to step one step off the sidewalk into my property or I’ll call the police for trespassing.   If the guy was cordial I would have invited him in for a beer , but if you plant ice you’re gonna harvest wind. People will be idiots no matter what.  

And this lack of experience with ballistics and safety danger zones is why accidents happen, involuntary manslaughter will still put you behind bars, that 17 will travel a long way as will ML and Slugs.  Thats all I will say on this one.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I think two different things we are talking about Hunting with a gun 450 safety zone . Target shooting or patterning your gun . Again you are in NJ be careful when shooting a gun without hunting . All it takes is one person like the person that approached you to call the police a make a complaint and they take your guns and send it to court to decide . I say use a proper range to practice save yourself the aggravation. I even worry sometimes when I target shoot with my bow that a neighbor could call police because they feel unsafe. Is it BS yes 100 percent but we live in NJ . Toughest Gun laws in country and Many antis and anti gun and hunting Governor  .One thing I will tell when gun season starts Police get many calls from home owners about shooting behind there house .Most of the time police explain to people  it is hunting season  and legal . Most of the time . I am not police but have many retired friends  that were on the job . 

19 hours ago, bushden said:

And this lack of experience with ballistics and safety danger zones is why accidents happen, involuntary manslaughter will still put you behind bars, that 17 will travel a long way as will ML and Slugs.  Thats all I will say on this one.

Took the words out of my mouth. You may be "legal" but does not absolve you from unintentionally harming property or humans which could have serious legal and personal consequences. 

I say use a proper range to practice save yourself the aggravation. I even worry sometimes when I target shoot with my bow that a neighbor could call police because they feel unsafe.

On 11/21/2021 at 7:19 AM, DJ0808 said:

I tried to explain we were shooting into a 6ft high earth and log berm

I believe the man has it covered  with a proper backstop, unless the neighbors want to pay your property taxes, until then shoot away:up: