IGNORED

2021 New Mexico Archery Deer and Elk

First morning of hunting we had 6 or so bulls bugling and we made a MAD run to a big group. My legs were smoked in the first 2 hours of the hunt. The altitude was no good for my health. We spotted a monster 380 inch plus bull at 100 yards…. We tried to put a sneak on him but got busted by his girlfriends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second night:

I got dropped off on a water tank (natural) from the horses at 11 am. Built a ground blind and took a good nap.

330- heard splashing in the water woke up to see a sow and cub bear playing around.

530- a group of 5 horses and 3 men came through to water their horses

600- a bull bugled and a cow winded me from 100 yards. It was a 330 or so bull

630- a cow and spike came down the trail I was on and came within 8 yards and winded me

715- I heard a monster bugle and saw the monster bull 380 plus coming to the water. Wind was perfect for me. Bull and three cows came in.

The bull was watering and I was 40 yards above him. He was facing towards me and I took a dumb shot and put an arrow between his two shoulder blades.
He was hit solid

We spend the next full day tracking him but couldn’t locate him. I didn’t sleep at all that night. It was truly a once in a lifetime bull. The thirds and fourth points were over 20” each and probably 50-54” wide.

7 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

Second night:

I got dropped off on a water tank (natural) from the horses at 11 am. Built a ground blind and took a good nap.

330- heard splashing in the water woke up to see a sow and cub bear playing around.

530- a group of 5 horses and 3 men came through to water their horses

600- a bull bugled and a cow winded me from 100 yards. It was a 330 or so bull

630- a cow and spike came down the trail I was on and came within 8 yards and winded me

715- I heard a monster bugle and saw the monster bull 380 plus coming to the water. Wind was perfect for me. Bull and three cows came in.

The bull was watering and I was 40 yards above him. He was facing towards me and I took a dumb shot and put an arrow between his two shoulder blades.
He was hit solid

We spend the next full day tracking him but couldn’t locate him. I didn’t sleep at all that night. It was truly a once in a lifetime bull. The thirds and fourth points were over 20” each and probably 50-54” wide.

Sucks and I know the feeling. They are tough animals and can go a long way. 

4th morning we called in 4 bulls. Zero shot opportunities.

4th night.. I got dropped off at the watering hole and the guide said the water is done after tonight (drying up). Keep that in mind and the hunt is going to get tougher.

I got dropped off at 10am for the evening hunt made 2 different ground blinds depending on wind. Around 6pm I heard a Bugle from about 400 yards away. I got ready. The bull then bugled at about 150 yards and I couldn’t see him.

Finally say a 6x6 smaller bull at 90 yards and he walked into 35 yards. I let the arrow fly. I double lunged him and he folded up 100 yards from the shot.