IGNORED

Bringhurst Meats - Guaranteed YOUR deer back now?

BowhunterNJ

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

That was the case the past couple years. I know because I remember seeing that same wording on their website back when I was looking for butchers. You aren't guaranteed your own deer meat with specialties. They say you get your own deer meat with the ground.

Still, that's non-negotiable to me. I take very good care - I tried to find the deer ASAP and when I field dress and transport home, I keep it clean.

I don't want chip steak or sausage from some deer that was sitting overnight, possibly gut shot, and then the guy guts it fast and drags it through whatever to get it to the butcher's quick. No thanks :) 

Agree with this, I don't want any part of someone else's deer.  I don't use them and if I did, I wouldn't be ordering any specialties.

Sausage from someone else's deer?? I always butcher my own. I cut with specific recipes in mind, if I have the time. I also take care with my gut pile in the woods if it's still light out, and I bring home the offal in separate plastic bags.  Seared kidneys are a treat if you peel off the membrane and it isn't a nasty old buck. I take the heart, kidneys, and the lungs unless there's a sign of disease, which is not uncommon in an older deer's lungs. One of the best deer recipes I know is lungs in white wine sauce.  If the animal is not too old the liver is also great with mushrooms, cream, and bourbon sauce. I know it used to be common to eat the liver, but I don't hear many people saying they do any more. Probably more into the communal sausage...

It's easy to use a stick to reverse the intestines and then wash them out in a bowl of water. I haven't had the guts or right conditions yet, but replacing store-bought casings is on the horizon too. 

10 hours ago, JFC1 said:

Sausage from someone else's deer?? I always butcher my own. I cut with specific recipes in mind, if I have the time. I also take care with my gut pile in the woods if it's still light out, and I bring home the offal in separate plastic bags.  Seared kidneys are a treat if you peel off the membrane and it isn't a nasty old buck. I take the heart, kidneys, and the lungs unless there's a sign of disease, which is not uncommon in an older deer's lungs. One of the best deer recipes I know is lungs in white wine sauce.  If the animal is not too old the liver is also great with mushrooms, cream, and bourbon sauce. I know it used to be common to eat the liver, but I don't hear many people saying they do any more. Probably more into the communal sausage...

It's easy to use a stick to reverse the intestines and then wash them out in a bowl of water. I haven't had the guts or right conditions yet, but replacing store-bought casings is on the horizon too. 

That's hardcore! People butcher their own deer but you take it to a different level. Very few people on here talk about organ meats. When I shot my Moose in Newfoundland, the Guide immediately asked me if he can have them. Some people are really into eating them. Something I will think about in the future. 

The only time I knew of butcher's substituting your game with other people's was in Maryland Goose Hunting. They process the birds and return the amount you dropped off. Not your specific birds. No one seemed to have a problem with it. 

But deer is a different story. In all the years I had deer butchered I never knew them to do anything but return your own deer. Maybe people should start asking. 

Edited by archer36

I’m sorry but Bringhurst is a dump. Place is dirty. Was in a pinch a few years ago and dropped a doe off during permit shotgun. Went back a week later to pick up and they told me the sausage would be another 2 weeks as they make it all in one batch. That’s not acceptable. Just take a look at some of the gut jobs you see. No thanks. 

I used to cut my own when I lived in PA with my parents now it’s the time especially if the weather isn’t cooperating.  The place I’ve been taking my deer to is pretty good though and I have a good relationship with the owner.  He does everything from ground to cuts as my deer my meat.  This past years deer were delicious and each deer was dead within 20 seconds with a quick and clean recovery so to me atleast I could taste the quality of care in the meat. Not to mention he hangs em for a few days in his trailer cooler which helps that aging process really get the meat nice. I’ll use him again.

10 hours ago, archer36 said:

But deer is a different story. In all the years I had deer butchered I never knew them to do anything but return your own deer. Maybe people should start asking. 

You probably never asked. Most batch all the specialty meats. It doesn’t pay to do small individual batches.  If you order 10 pounds of snack sticks, you get 10 pounds of snack sticks. Might not be any of your deer in it at all.

5 hours ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

I used to cut my own when I lived in PA with my parents now it’s the time especially if the weather isn’t cooperating.  The place I’ve been taking my deer to is pretty good though and I have a good relationship with the owner.  He does everything from ground to cuts as my deer my meat.  This past years deer were delicious and each deer was dead within 20 seconds with a quick and clean recovery so to me atleast I could taste the quality of care in the meat. Not to mention he hangs em for a few days in his trailer cooler which helps that aging process really get the meat nice. I’ll use him again.

Who and where? Does he do specialties?

10 hours ago, archer36 said:

That's hardcore! People butcher their own deer but you take it to a different level. Very few people on here talk about organ meats. When I shot my Moose in Newfoundland, the Guide immediately asked me if he can have them. Some people are really into eating them. Something I will think about in the future. 

Some people with certain ailments (Can't remember what) are not supposed to eat organ meat.  

1 hour ago, NotJust22s said:

You probably never asked. Most batch all the specialty meats. It doesn’t pay to do small individual batches.  If you order 10 pounds of snack sticks, you get 10 pounds of snack sticks. Might not be any of your deer in it at all.

Yeah makes sense, but I wasn't talking about special products, just plain meat.