IGNORED

4/15/21 - Striped Bass Circle Hook Requirement Update

39 minutes ago, bucky said:

I have never used circle hooks, what size does everyone recommend for live lining and chunking?

10/0.

make sure when you. Buy they are INLINE . 
‘many brands are offset and not legal . Most stating tournament legal on them are inline circles 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

10/0.

make sure when you. Buy they are INLINE . 
‘many brands are offset and not legal . Most stating tournament legal on them are inline circles 

The thing that confuses me is the rule for "octopus circle hooks" - the ones where the eye is bent (to make it easy to tie a snell knot) but otherwise are inline circles. I assume they are OK but all the pictures I've seen where the state has image of legal circle hooks never have the bent eye. So I don't know what the rule is for those.

Just now, mazzgolf said:

The thing that confuses me is the rule for "octopus circle hooks" - the ones where the eye is bent (to make it easy to tie a snell knot) but otherwise are inline circles. I assume they are OK but all the pictures I've seen where the state has image of legal circle hooks never have the bent eye. So I don't know what the rule is for those.

As long as the hook point is inline with the shank of the hook , AND the hook point turns into the circle it’s legal .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

They take some getting used to.  I used them with worms in the early season and caught 19 bass.  2 were gut hooked, so not fool proof.  You can't short strike any that just pick up the bait either.  You have to wait for them to swim with it.

2 hours ago, SPEARFISH said:

They take some getting used to.  I used them with worms in the early season and caught 19 bass.  2 were gut hooked, so not fool proof.  You can't short strike any that just pick up the bait either.  You have to wait for them to swim with it.

I have never used them. I’ve read that you don’t set the hook, just let the line tighten up?

I have no problem with them on fish finder rigs but in my opinion they suck on a hi lo rig. I would really love to hear how they came up with their data. Using 8/0 J hooks I never gut hook stripers.  Honestly my most damaging hook ups on the fish are on bucktails they inhale.