IGNORED

Buying land out of state, Pros and Cons?

I think it also depends how much land you buy. I don't own my own hunting property - but I have a couple pieces of private that I know the owners and they let me hunt it. Not huge pieces - 30 acres on average I would say. So I am pretty much locked into only a couple stand locations that are huntable if I want to hunt private. And staring at the same trees and branches over the course of just one season let alone multiple seasons gets booooring. That's why I still like going out on public land - so much around here that if you don't mind bringing a climber or hunting from the ground, you can see a lot of variety.

Even if I could, I don't think I would bother buying a small 30 or 40 acre property. It would get too boring to me. If I could get a few hundred acres, now maybe you are talking - of course, few people can afford that (and I'm not one of those people :))

4 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I think it also depends how much land you buy. I don't own my own hunting property - but I have a couple pieces of private that I know the owners and they let me hunt it. Not huge pieces - 30 acres on average I would say. So I am pretty much locked into only a couple stand locations that are huntable if I want to hunt private. And staring at the same trees and branches over the course of just one season let alone multiple seasons gets booooring. That's why I still like going out on public land - so much around here that if you don't mind bringing a climber or hunting from the ground, you can see a lot of variety.

Even if I could, I don't think I would bother buying a small 30 or 40 acre property. It would get too boring to me. If I could get a few hundred acres, now maybe you are talking - of course, few people can afford that (and I'm not one of those people :))

Is this enough?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/State-Route-30-Malone-NY-12953/118506548_zpid/

Or maybe this is more your size:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10279-State-Rte-30-Franklin-NY-12953/2082654557_zpid/

I am playing the lottery this weekend so I can afford that second link.  The stream on it is almost a river.  If you and I split the cost, there is enough room where neither you nor I will ever see each other.  How's that for incentive?

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

51 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Is this enough?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/State-Route-30-Malone-NY-12953/118506548_zpid/

Or maybe this is more your size:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10279-State-Rte-30-Franklin-NY-12953/2082654557_zpid/

I am playing the lottery this weekend so I can afford that second link.  The stream on it is almost a river.  If you and I split the cost, there is enough room where neither you nor I will ever see each other.  How's that for incentive?

"Property taxes: $3,858/mo"

:laughing:  I might be able to afford this ... if I turn to a life of male prostitution.

51 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

"Property taxes: $3,858/mo"

:laughing:  I might be able to afford this ... if I turn to a life of male prostitution.

Let's put this in perspective, that's taxes on 2,197 acres.  Imagine what that tax bill would look like in NJ!

And this is the "stream" on your property:

river1.thumb.png.deda56a9aefe187791e85489b202ace7.png

river2.thumb.png.577d2bb6c9b3f7b31d5922b376337445.png

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

It wasn't easy for me raising a family and having a blue collar type job, but I managed to buy 29 acres in Bradford County Pa. . It is hands down the best thing I've ever done . It's almost like I accomplished an impossible dream ! A great feeling knowing I'm going someday leave this to my kids and hopefully a family that can enjoy it for generations to come!

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

5 minutes ago, Mink said:

It wasn't easy for me raising a family and having a blue collar type job, but I managed to buy 29 acres in Bradford County Pa. . It is hands down the best thing I've ever done . It's almost like I accomplished an impossible dream ! A great feeling knowing I'm going someday leave this to my kids and hopefully a family that can enjoy it for generations to come!

Part of my intention is to provide my children with land to enjoy, hunting, shooting, ATV's, hiking,etc.

Molon Lobe

House in Montana 2 years ago.  Was a bit stressed at first but a local family caretakes a bunch of absentee owners which is a great piece of mind.  They and those families whose houses they look after have become friends and my wife and I talk with all them more than we talk to our NJ neighbors. 

36 minutes ago, Mink said:

Loved Bradford county .

growing up we hunted rabbits about 20 days out of the season . Most years didn’t hit a farm the second time around .

was great small game for rabbits and grouse .

‘every once in awhile a pheasant or two .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

2 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Loved Bradford county .

growing up we hunted rabbits about 20 days out of the season . Most years didn’t hit a farm the second time around .

was great small game for rabbits and grouse .

‘every once in awhile a pheasant or two .

For sure ! And constantly one of the better Counties for big bucks . The grouse hunting was outstanding but has recently slowed down, like the rest of the State. What area of the County did you hunt?

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

59 minutes ago, Mink said:

For sure ! And constantly one of the better Counties for big bucks . The grouse hunting was outstanding but has recently slowed down, like the rest of the State. What area of the County did you hunt?

Pretty much all over .

‘we never deer hunted there , but had permission to hunt many farms for rabbits ..

‘Towanda , wyalusing , dushore , evergreen , new Albany 

a lot around spring lake wyalusing , jud titchin used to own it all until he sold a lot of the farm to a huge  meat processor .

that owner actually made an island in the middle of the lake and built a big house on it 

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I bought 150  acres in brown county illinois in 2012 then bought the rest of the farm which is the connecting  150 acres in 2015 then bought the house on 5 acres in 2018 that also connects to the farm. The absolute best three purchases of my life accept for the raccoons that busted into the house  on this last trip. I spent the past week taking care of that but still Absolutely no regrets except that I didn’t buy the additional  120 acres on the other side of the dirt road when it came up. Too tired to type tonight, but PM me and I’ll give you my cell number. I’m the guy you want to talk to I literally have owning a farm 1000 miles away down to a science. 

I own land in Delaware County NY (3 hours away) and my father owned land in Chenango County NY (5 hours away).  We enjoyed hunting the land and made some money from logging.  My father sold his land because everybody up there thought they could trespass.  Hunters, horse riders, motorcycle riders and people getting water from the spring.

I still have mine, the locals hunt it when I'm not there, the idiots next door's welfare kids decided to use the license plate on my Airsteam as a rifle target, couldn't prove it.  I have partners, two have passed and the others no longer hunt, hills are too steep.  Great memories but owning a piece of out of state property isn't all peaches and cream!  Almost forgot about the freeloaders!