IGNORED

Ram 1500 v6 vs v8

mike033089

I recently purchased a low mileage certified pre-owned RAM 1500 with a 5.7L hemi. I previously owned an older RAM 1500 with the 4.7L V8, RAM has since discontinued that motor and now uses the V6 you're considering. The 5.7L hemi has been great so far, I am averaging 22mpg with 90% of my driving being on the highway.  It has some impressive power when you really step on it. I do not tow anything heavier than about 3500lbs so the 5.7 is plenty powerful enough for my needs. 

The certified pre owned RAMs come standard with a 7 year/100k mile powertrain warranty which provides some nice peace of mind. I also opted to purchase the 7 year/125k mile bumper to bumper "maximum care" warranty through Mopar for a relatively small cost which covers literally everything except for wear parts. 

I recently switched from a 2016 F150 Limited with the 6 cylinder ecoboost to a Chevy Silverado Trail Boss 5.3 L V8 and the difference in power and pickup is substantial when you step on it. Not sure what the specs in comparison are but the Chevy is more powerful by far. 

7 hours ago, Herd Buck said:

I recently switched from a 2016 F150 Limited with the 6 cylinder ecoboost to a Chevy Silverado Trail Boss 5.3 L V8 and the difference in power and pickup is substantial when you step on it. Not sure what the specs in comparison are but the Chevy is more powerful by far. 

Yep.. it’s all market BS for Ford. 5.3 327 is GMs staple motor.. 

14 hours ago, Herd Buck said:

was it the 2.7 or 3.5? I had deposit on 2019 Chevy with 5.3 back in early 2019.   I ended up switching to a 2.7L F-150 after driving it.  While they both drove a little differently, and I wasn't "towing" to compare, on the highway the ford seemed to accelerate a lot better.     Now having the new 3.5 - there is no comparison. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I'm in the market and have the same thoughts as you. But Ford has snuck in a cylinder deactivation system in this new 5.0 and now I'm on the fence. I don't like the thought of it. Chevy has come out with another deactivation system because their last system was problematic. Ford is being kinda vague, and guys who write about trucks for a living has noticed.

So you know when Chevy changed the deactivation system. I had a 2007 Yukon XL and had the issue with the oil burn and sludging that was so bad one day it sounded like the engine blew. My mechanic flushed the engine and as he said I was one of the lucky 10% because that fixed it while most have a broken cam from the issue.

I loved the truck so much at the time I learned that GM didn’t offer a replacement crate engine for the 2007-2009 years it was so bad. At that point I traded it in for a 2014 Ram 1500 and I have loved it. It has way more power and better gas mileage. But honestly I liked the convenience of having everything behind the third row seat for hunting and not having to take it out of the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

1 hour ago, Herd Buck said:

JHBowhuntr it was the 3.5

The new 3.5 is a rocket...  More than I need, and definitely more HP and torque then the Silverado 5.3 I drove.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Intuitively, my gut tells me that 6 cylinders will wear out faster than 8.  

Also, that gas mileage is a lesser expense (but a very overblown one) when compared to the cost of wear and tear on an engine.

Am I really off base?  Asking because this is what makes sense to me and willing to be proven wrong/learn something new...