IGNORED

Reel Advice

Nomad

You definitly got a fluke that is usually a good reel. My recommendation is also for the Pflueger President. I have so many reels that I cant even remember them all and Dollor for dollor the president is hard to beat. I have 3 of them and they are as smooth today as when I got them.

12 hours ago, Tuck said:

Pflueger President series have served me well.  Not expensive and last.  You can find the XT for $80

Agree.  Unless something has changed they've always been good reels.

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

Bought a new reel that had great reviews only to find that it was about as smooth as sand paper.   Felt like I was fighting a fish reeling the lure in. lol

I know they are all made in China now.  

Any recommendations on a good reel for around 100 dollars for fresh water fishing, bass/trout, 6 to 12  lb line?

Thank you.

Mark, I love this Pflueger President reel for stockers, as well as the Shimano Stradic. Great reels for the price and smooth as silk with 4 lb fluorocarbon line for the Flatbrook.......

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger-reels-spinning-reels/

Edited by LPJR

15 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

For sure a stella is the TUNA reel, IF your using it. But it should be at 4 times the price of most reels .

I was only mentioning the Bait Runner SpinfisherVI as its probably one of the best bait runner reels made.

Guys Running charters that want to chunk with spinners blew up everything made until them.

Bait drags are super smooth and have taken a beating.

The runners engagement lever has 3 or four indents on it to lock it at a different tension without readjustment.

For stripers it will be an awesome  reel for the spin minded..

You like the shimano thunnis bait runner or simply not a shimano fan?

12 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

You like the shimano thunnis bait runner or simply not a shimano fan?

Shimano has a lot of nice stuff .

their high end stuff  is really nice .

the  thunnis is not one of those reels .

couple guys fish them on my boat bassing and they always have issues with the bait runner..

‘still have a few of the old graphite ones and they are issue free.

That issue has been the same with just about every bait runner made by any one though when used on hard running fish .

the new spin fisher VI was designed  to hold up better for that use .

only time will tell if it will, but that’s the intent of making those parts stiffer and stronger .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

18 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

I had used smaller sizes for hybrids  and the larger ones on my surf rods . They all got funky .

They orig were one of the only companies to have small bait runner reels .

Found the stems on them to also flex more than I liked.

They were this style finish

Screenshot_20190315-133049.png

I have the exact reel and never used it. Anyone interested? 

7 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

only time will tell if it will, but that’s the intent of making those parts stiffer and stronger .

Must be woman on board.:laughing:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

All my reels are shimano's.Stay with the mid to Higher end models. For 25 dollars,you can sent them back to Shimano and they will clean and replace any worn part for the life of the reel. When I was a  kid I used to take the cheap reels apart,remove the grease and fill the reel with valve polishing compound.Then I would keep reeling the reel all night while watching TV.It worked wonders!:fishing:

Edited by Dinger

I have been a reel collector for years, with over 70 to date their are 4 leaders in the fishing reel arena, Shimano, Abu Garcia, Pflueger, and Diawa.

Shmiano and Abu Garcia on the high ends are the leaders.... Knowone can touch a Stella or a Sustain for Shimano and Garcia's New Pro Max is close competitor to the stradic.

I own several Pflueger Presidents and dollar for dollar they getthe handshake .Smooth reliable and under 100 bucks.. Awesome reels.. If you are look for one step above go Stradic. All depends on what you like..