IGNORED

Reel Advice

Nomad

Bought a new reel that had great reviews only to find that it was about as smooth as sand paper.   Felt like I was fighting a fish reeling the lure in. lol

I know they are all made in China now.  

Any recommendations on a good reel for around 100 dollars for fresh water fishing, bass/trout, 6 to 12  lb line?

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Bought a new reel that had great reviews only to find that it was about as smooth as sand paper.   Felt like I was fighting a fish reeling the lure in. lol

I know they are all made in China now.  

Any recommendations on a good reel for around 100 dollars for fresh water fishing, bass/trout, 6 to 12  lb line?

Thank you.

Take the side plate off if you can clean it and add some good reel grease.:fishing:

Pflueger President series have served me well.  Not expensive and last.  You can find the XT for $80

On a side note my 16 year old son refused to order a reel online because he couldn't put the reel in his hand and make sure it was smooth.  I now know what he was talking about.  Every reel is a little different even from same manufacturer.

Good luck.

What reel was it so the rest of us don't run into the same  issue. The reels mentioned above are smooth reels with a good drag system. I have all three. You really do need to go to the store and test them for yourself. There is no such thing as an honest review these days...is there?

51 minutes ago, _X7 said:

What reel was it so the rest of us don't run into the same  issue. The reels mentioned above are smooth reels with a good drag system. I have all three. You really do need to go to the store and test them for yourself. There is no such thing as an honest review these days...is there?

Penn Battle 2

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Penn Battle 2

Very surprised to hear that, maybe just a defective reel. That being said it is good to actually handle the reel and put it on the rod you’re using to see how it balances. I have been using Epixors for around 15years now. Not the lightest but reliable with a good drag. One I have in the largest size has fought quite a few albies off the surf and still operates great. If an albie doesn’t F&@$ up your drag not many other fish can LOL

AWM

29 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Very surprised to hear that, maybe just a defective reel. That being said it is good to actually handle the reel and put it on the rod you’re using to see how it balances. I have been using Epixors for around 15years now. Not the lightest but reliable with a good drag. One I have in the largest size has fought quite a few albies off the surf and still operates great. If an albie doesn’t F&@$ up your drag not many other fish can LOL

If you turn the handle as fast as you can and then let it go it will only revolve 2 1/2 revolutions.  Something is really binding it up. I bet if you tried with one of your reels it would probably turn 10 or 12 times doing the same test. I really like Penn reels and I was thinking of maybe just ordering the same one again ,but I did read in some of the reviews the same thing. However, most of the reviews were overwhelmingly positive.

Edited by Nomad

1 hour ago, Tuck said:

Pflueger President series have served me well.  Not expensive and last.  You can find the XT for $80

On a side note my 16 year old son refused to order a reel online because he couldn't put the reel in his hand and make sure it was smooth.  I now know what he was talking about.  Every reel is a little different even from same manufacturer.

Good luck.

Yeah it’s not smooth more like a coffee grinder I’m not looking for perfection I just want the handle to turn without resistance LOL

Bring it the the salt water show this weekend .

possibly can get it changed out right there.

i use battles for 7 years on my charter boat and have never had an issue with them .

freshwater it’s hard to beat the Pflueger presidents .

I like the XT  the best in that line up.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

19 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Bring it the the salt water show this weekend .

possibly can get it changed out right there.

i use battles for 7 years on my charter boat and have never had an issue with them .

freshwater it’s hard to beat the Pflueger presidents .

I like the XT  the best in that line up.

Thanks, my wife is taking it back to Walmart now to get a refund.