IGNORED

Reel Advice

Nomad

2 hours ago, _X7 said:

What reel was it so the rest of us don't run into the same  issue. The reels mentioned above are smooth reels with a good drag system. I have all three. You really do need to go to the store and test them for yourself. There is no such thing as an honest review these days...is there?

I won't give a review on anything I don't personally use .

And if I fish it .It's been used hard and put up wet.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

About 5 years ago I bought a Shimano Saros.  I liked it so much a bought the cheaper Sahara to compare.  I couldn't tell the difference so I bought a couple more of each.  They all run just as smooth as the day I bought them.  I'm still waiting to see which one fails first.  I should probably clean and lube them up sometime.  I've never cleaned them once. They are cheaper than the Stradics if cost is a factor for you.

16 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Never had that experience, my surf reel is 15 years old and still looks like new, i do take care of my equipment though. Keep in mind Nomads intention is fresh water also

I had used smaller sizes for hybrids  and the larger ones on my surf rods . They all got funky .

They orig were one of the only companies to have small bait runner reels .

Found the stems on them to also flex more than I liked.

They were this style finish

Screenshot_20190315-133049.png

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Thanks, my wife is taking it back to Walmart now to get a refund.

Walmart?lol That was your first mistake!Second was a Penn. They were the go-to when I was a kid but they were excellent somewhere in the 80s I think they liquidated sold out to somebody that then produce junk became of Shimano fan ever since

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Walmart?lol That was your first mistake!Second was a Penn. They were the go-to when I was a kid but they were excellent somewhere in the 80s I think they liquidated sold out to somebody that then produce junk became of Shimano fan ever since

It came in a Penn box, not Walmart. lol

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It came in a Penn box, not Walmart. lol

I'm confused, that's nothing new lol where did you originally purchase it?

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Pure preference...not a penn fan. I bought several bait runner style Penn reels that were COMPLETELY garbage. I have never had a problem w any shimano reels. Buy the best shimano reel you are willing to pay for. The pfleuger presidente is decent.  If you're looking for a decent ultralight for trout.... consider the Tica cetus ss800. Tiny reel that can take a beaten.

3 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

I'm confused, that's nothing new lol where did you originally purchase it?

Online through Walmart.  You can buy just about anything from them online.  It was on sale for 73 dollars which was a good price

8 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

shocked it was a penn - I have had great luck with Battles - very smooth reel and amazing drag system. Don't let it discourage you from getting Penn again...

That's what I was thinking.  I wish I could test another out.  It was probably a fluke.

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

Online through Walmart.  You can buy just about anything from them online.  It was on sale for 73 dollars which was a good price

Yeah,where you get more for less lol added semi-retirement I worked at the Clinton Walmart the returns of electronical units appliances TVs excetera was Unreal it's a shame I grew up when my mom handed me a 3 inch thick Sears and Roebuck ordering catalog book I'm retired my profession was printing 40 years grew up trusting in America oh how that has changed oh sure it came in a pen box again old printer it's not hard to have boxes printed and die-cut showing a pretty picture on the outside every day when I worked at Walmart I saw the food that they were throwing out  in dumpster voice my opinion to store manager people are hungry and starving out there why can't you give it to them? not allowed company policy hey Sam you suck