IGNORED

Reel Advice

Nomad

38 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Pure preference...not a penn fan. I bought several bait runner style Penn reels that were COMPLETELY garbage. I have never had a problem w any shimano reels. Buy the best shimano reel you are willing to pay for. The pfleuger presidente is decent.  If you're looking for a decent ultralight for trout.... consider the Tica cetus ss800. Tiny reel that can take a beaten.

Probably the old spin fished. They had issues with breakage on the live line drag .

The new spinfisher VI is tuna proven .

To me they feel a little rough in their final setting (can vary by clicks of the runner for multiple settings) but they were field trialled hard. And have held up well .

The old graphite shimano bait runners were ok. The metal ones were junk.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

21 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

That’s what made me shy away from shimanos, i had two that wobbled like a bitch after a couple hybreds

AWM

36 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Probably the old spin fished. They had issues with breakage on the live line drag .

The new spinfisher VI is tuna proven .

To me they feel a little rough in their final setting (can vary by clicks of the runner for multiple settings) but they were field trialled hard. And have held up well .

Ill stick w a stella for tuna.

Mark I got two Pflueger's last year, took Hammer's advice he knows his reels I wanted to upgrade some shad gear. I got a Summit XT30 which is lighter weight has some graphite in it.  Super ultra smooth real and drag very lightweight.  It was actually too light weight for an 8ft St Croix Walleye rod I got for shore fishing shad - so Dan talked me into the President XT SP35 size, and as nice as that Summit XT was this reel was even nicer.   I enjoy using both.  I had other rods the lighter real balanced perfectly on.   I can't imagine two better freshwater reels for 6-10lb line, mono or braid.  I am running 6# powerpro on the lighter reel and 6# P-Line on the larger reel.   Casts a freaking mile.  The larger reel would be well suited for line up to 15# braid with ease.   Very smooth, very versatile reels and they both caught a ton of shad without incident last season.   

If I were you look into the lighter Summit XT I think you will be pleased.   If you want to stop by and check them out, I am staying home for two weeks to recover from my hernia surgery (feel great so far, just got it earlier)

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

21 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I am staying home for two weeks to recover from my hernia surgery

Change a pace,good for you!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

50 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Ill stick w a stella for tuna.

For sure a stella is the TUNA reel, IF your using it. But it should be at 4 times the price of most reels .

I was only mentioning the Bait Runner SpinfisherVI as its probably one of the best bait runner reels made.

Guys Running charters that want to chunk with spinners blew up everything made until them.

Bait drags are super smooth and have taken a beating.

The runners engagement lever has 3 or four indents on it to lock it at a different tension without readjustment.

For stripers it will be an awesome  reel for the spin minded..

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

4 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

I won't give a review on anything I don't personally use .

And if I fish it .It's been used hard and put up wet.

i'm the same way. I'll trust reviews from those I know before taking a lot of stock in some I see online. Many times you can see the  same 5 star reviews at different websites almost word for word, but you don't see the same bad ones.

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

That's what I was thinking.  I wish I could test another out.  It was probably a fluke.

There are bad runs of good product out there these days. Not many places have quality control at the manufacturing end anymore. The lean systems most employ rely on all of their parts being up to snuff to fit all of their products in assembly. The trouble is that supply needs have companies sending those specifications to different suppliers. Most times there are no problems. Some times there are.  

3 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

They saved 6 cents by not greasing at factory lol.

I think they may have packed it with too much grease the way it feels.  But I will never know and I'm not going to disassemble a brand new reel and try to fix it! lol