IGNORED

$15 Minimum Wage

YurytheRed

3 hours ago, archer36 said:

I owned a small business. I was paying my employees (adults) $15-20 per hour 10 years ago. I could not with a conscience pay them less. That in my opinion would be slave labor. 

I anyone owns a business these days and says they can't afford to pay someone $15 an hour SHOULD NOT BE in business. 

I made 20 bucks an hour back in 1980 stocking shelves, def a non skilled job.

cant believe almost 40 years later people think there is any job not worth 15 bucks.

and  with economy in NJ  being as high , those people still need help getting by.

average rent in NJ is over 1500 a month.

add gas and food , they never get out of the whole.

funny is poorer states around us their minimum wage is already 4 bucks higher than ours , and employers have no problem there paying the wages .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

cant believe almost 40 years later people think there is any job not worth 15 bucks.

and  with economy in NJ  being as high , those people still need help getting by.

funny is poorer states around us their minimum wage is already 4 bucks higher than ours , and employers have no problem there paying the wages .

Why is the government stepping in like the mafia "hey you, pay him"? And why doesn't the government ever put their money where there mouth is? Nobody can live on minimum wage here because we have one of the highest costs of living in the country. Im in bergen county, where you pay 15k a year in taxes on a house with 2br/2baths (except paramus). I only ever see the government playing big shot with other peoples money. This is going to close a lot of small businesses, just look at NY. The liberal answer is always to make the middle class pay for everyone else. How about eliminating state income tax, like they were supposed to do when they started the state lottery. I may be rambling now, but the point I am trying to make is why doesn't the government ever ante up their own money. This is all about a money grab, higher wages=higher payroll tax.

10 minutes ago, birdshotnj said:

Why is the government stepping in like the mafia "hey you, pay him"? And why doesn't the government ever put their money where there mouth is? Nobody can live on minimum wage here because we have one of the highest costs of living in the country. Im in bergen county, where you pay 15k a year in taxes on a house with 2br/2baths (except paramus). I only ever see the government playing big shot with other peoples money. This is going to close a lot of small businesses, just look at NY. The liberal answer is always to make the middle class pay for everyone else. How about eliminating state income tax, like they were supposed to do when they started the state lottery. I may be rambling now, but the point I am trying to make is why doesn't the government ever ante up their own money. This is all about a money grab, higher wages=higher payroll tax.

So you can afford to live in Bergen County but don't think other people deserve close to a living wage? Like I said, people don't think anyone deserves to live good except for themselves. Pitiful. 

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Min wage in New York is roughly 3.00 an hour more  but it definitely is not a poorer state. PA is 7.25. Delaware is 8.25. Unless you were at the company for many years I find it hard to believe you got 20 bucks an hour to stock shelves in the 80s.  There are many places to rent for less than 1500 a month.  If they can’t afford it that’s not my or our fault. Nor should  we be on the hook. There’s a difference in getting by and getting what you want.

4 minutes ago, archer36 said:

So you can afford to live in Bergen County but don't think other people deserve close to a living wage? Like I said, people don't think anyone deserves to live good except for themselves. Pitiful. 

You miss the point entirely, and I don't know why you're fixated on this notion of people thinking that others shouldn't be able to make a living. I don't think that's the case. As far as myself, I work 90 hours a week  to be able to live in Bergen county and haven't enjoyed a holiday with my family in years, so I make no apologies.  Jobs will be lost due to this, Its happening already. So how do you think these people will earn a living wage if they are replaced by machines and kiosks? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm genuinely curious to hear your thoughts on this. Do you believe automation wont happen and people will lose jobs, and do you disagree that prices will go up across the board?

12 minutes ago, archer36 said:

People deserve to live however they CHOOSE to. When I couldn’t afford a house know what I did? Rented a shithole I could afford and saved.

1 minute ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Min wage in New York is roughly 3.00 an hour more  but it definitely is not a poorer state. PA is 7.25. Delaware is 8.25. Unless you were at the company for many years I find it hard to believe you got 20 bucks an hour to stock shelves in the 80s.  There are many places to rent for less than 1500 a month.  If they can’t afford it that’s not my or our fault. Nor should  we be on the hook. There’s a difference in getting by and getting what you want.

That’s no different than me saying if you can’t afford to pay a worker 15 bucks an hour  and make what you need to live here , then you should run that business in another state.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

That’s no different than me saying if you can’t afford to pay a worker 15 bucks an hour  and make what you need to live here , then you should run that business in another state.

Ahh but they will afford paying that worker 15 an hour by raising the price on your pizza or lawn service etc.  you won’t mind right?

Just now, hammer4reel said:

You could say that, and some would say you're 100% right. And that's exactly what's going to happen. Businesses are leaving and/or not coming here to begin with. Again, if people don't have jobs, then what good is the number that they could be earning? 

Just now, Coyoteslayer said:

Ahh but they will afford paying that worker 15 an hour by raising the price on your pizza or lawn service etc.  you won’t mind right?

Lol landscape companies have been paying illegal 15 bucks an hour for years to do that

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

2 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Not only this, but let's say "Mary" who used to make $10 an hour and spent 300 on groceries every week will now earn 15 an hour but will be spending 500 on her weekly groceries, because the supermarket also raised their prices. Shes in the same exact predicament she was before. This isn't speculation here guys, look across the river at NY

Edited by birdshotnj

1 minute ago, birdshotnj said:

You could say that, and some would say you're 100% right. And that's exactly what's going to happen. Businesses are leaving and/or not coming here to begin with. Again, if people don't have jobs, then what good is the number that they could be earning? 

That’s where Nj has messed up the most .

there def have to be tax breaks so businesses can survive .

but those breaks should be keeping workers wages lower .

workers should at least be able to make enough money to survive here without all the rest of the GOVERNMENT handouts . ( which all the rest of us are paying for )

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

If there was a valid reason for this other than everyone deserves a trophy I’d more receptive. But throw more money at positions that don’t deserve them is ludicrous. Min wage are starter positions. Pay your dues type positions. Not meant to rent a 1500 a month spot with.  But it will affect us all. I’m surprised a few of you have drank the kool aid on this one.