IGNORED

Rabbit stamp???

Wallew

I’ve had this conversation with many different people over the last few years. Almost all that I have proposed this too have been interested.

Here is my proposal.

Just like you pay for a pheasant stamp what is nj came up with a rabbit stamp? There would be one major difference. Rabbit would be stocked on random, non announced days. That way you couldn’t have an orange army waiting on stocking days to while out the stockings. By the way I personally feel this is how I believe pheasant should be stocked.

I miss the days I had as a youngster hunting rabbits and actually coming home with some rabbits. Nowadays it’s come home with 1 or 2 or most times nothing.

This is just a spitball idea I’ve had for a few years just wandering what everyone else thinks.

that would be neat but if it got anything like pheasant hunting there will be a bunch of orange dudes shooting at the ground towards each other vs shooting at the sky towards each other. How would it work if the stockings were unannounced? I wonder if the rabbits mess with the environment if they are stocked vs wild

Please I am not sure I even get the idea of releasing farm raised birds and then hunting them.

Well since native birds are few and far between or non existent, then for those who enjoy hunting with a dog afoot in the fields and woods and taking a bird while in flight we don't have much choice living here in NJ.

And not to start an argument, because I believe in, each to his own, but, I'm not sure I even get the idea of baiting and using cameras and scents, etc while hunting from an elevated position.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I grew up rabbit hunting we use to train our dogs on wild rabbits

The ones the dogs didn't get would die of stress in a few weeks

I don't think they do well in captivity like pheasants and other birds do.

We had a nest years ago in the yard that the mother abandoned maybe because of dogs, but we took them in and they didn't make it after a few weeks.

Cotton tails imo aren't very hardy they die easily in captivity.

I couldn't imagine such a thing.....Rabbits all but disappeared in a lot of the state. They are making a comeback, but I don't think they will ever return to their former glory. Years ago it was nothing to get a limit of rabbits with a dog or not. Never want to see this.

rb.jpg

Please I am not sure I even get the idea of releasing farm raised birds and then hunting them.

if they where relased   a few weekes before breeding seasons started would be the best, the birds will became wild by  the time it comes to hunting them, thats how many clubs  here in Portugal do it, 

Now on to Rabbits like the post says,  I feel that we need a stamp for everything nowdays Would the stamp really change  anything ? Why not bring the limit down to 2 per day. 

I feel that this might help better then a stamp, Same goes for Chukar, quail pheasent.  and only hunt 2 days a week, for exemple, Thursdays , Sundays, and Holidays, 

This is todays hunt here in Portugal ( has many know im living here and moving back home to NJ or other states  in Jan 2018)   Hunting limits are done for 3 year, last year limit was 3 rabbits this year its 2 , next year going to be oine per day, 

Chukars was limtis on thursday ,  also limit is 2 .. 

23622404_1831657193529765_81053087872328

And todays hunt me and my Neighbor 

23593614_10211059110729919_8363925820810

The past 2 years we have been overrun with rabbits here, which is really great to see.  For years you couldn't find a rabbit here, now they are everywhere.   :up:  :up:   

Are you still seeing them, we had a lot around here late summer early fall now I don't see any.