IGNORED

Hunter harassment by a CO?

I would definitely contact his supervisor. If I built a blind with my boys and he watches. That's crazy. That's stalking. That's harassment.

Can I ask what county or deer zone this was in? Curious.

I heard of a similar situation recently involving a feeder on private property.

the CO could just be doing an extra vigilant job here, I'm mostly wondering if this sounds normal or if he has a legitimate complaint to make.  

We're only getting one-side of the story here, but if it is true, this is more than just a "vigilant job", it's more like a vendetta.  Something's fishy.  Either the story is total BS, or the C.O. is out to get the guy.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

It's Cumberland co in south jersey

That's a shame. What interactions I've had with several COs down here in the south has been nothing but positive and professional.

tells him that his tickets will be in the mail,

You sure the guy is a CO and not an imposter? Who sends the tickets in the mail anyway?  Wouldn't you get a summons right then and there? Do you have the CO's name?

"just like anyone can hunt your land since you don't have your name on your posted signs"

On a separate note, this is correct and I am still amazed at how many land owners don't actually know the NJ title 23:7 trespass law and the requirements needed for the land to be considered "legally posted". Virtually all the posted signs I've seen have no ID on them - but for your land to be considered posted, you must put your name on them (you don't have to put a phone number or address, but you need your name on them). People go through all the trouble to hang these signs and fail to put their name on them - if trespassers actually DO get caught and ticketed, they can go to court and say the land was not properly posted because there was no land owner name on the signs.

We're only getting one-side of the story here, but if it is true, this is more than just a "vigilant job", it's more like a vendetta.  Something's fishy.  Either the story is total BS, or the C.O. is out to get the guy.

It's 100% the truth as I was told but I agree it's only 1 side of the story, I wasn't there to witness it so of course there could be more to it.  The landowner is a family member and has been my hunting partner my whole life so I have no real reason to suspect that he'd bs me.  The "blind" that the CO said he watched him and his kids build is no simple hidden blind either, it's essentially a club house in the woods made of logs with a roof and cut out windows just a short walk from his back deck.  I actually helped them cut some of the trees for it.  Ironically when I hunted with him the other day we kept to the opposite side of the property because he said he didn't need the hassle of the feeder.  I'm actually not trying to slant anything in his favor, my initial response was that the CO is being a bit of a ball buster but prob just doing his job.  His take is that he and his wife are feeling violated know that a guy has been in the woods with binocs watching them and their kids and then returned at least for the past week to keep an eye on things.  I'm starting to see his side a bit more and figured someone here may have heard of something similar or could recommend making a complaint or not based on the information.  Keep in mind that this same guy was at his house in the fall to check a deer so hes starting to get the feeling that this constant presence, known or unknown, is getting a bit odd.  I've never owned land so can't really say.  

That's a shame. What interactions I've had with several COs down here in the south has been nothing but positive and professional.

You sure the guy is a CO and not an imposter? Who sends the tickets in the mail anyway?  Wouldn't you get a summons right then and there? Do you have the CO's name?

On a separate note, this is correct and I am still amazed at how many land owners don't actually know the NJ title 23:7 trespass law and the requirements needed for the land to be considered "legally posted". Virtually all the posted signs I've seen have no ID on them - but for your land to be considered posted, you must put your name on them (you don't have to put a phone number or address, but you need your name on them). People go through all the trouble to hang these signs and fail to put their name on them - if trespassers actually DO get caught and ticketed, they can go to court and say the land was not properly posted because there was no land owner name on the signs.

Mazzgolf he said the CO never even checked his license or asked to see a valid turkey tag.  I asked him if he signed anything or saw any kind of paperwork and he said no, just that the CO said I'll mail you your tickets.  The same guy pulled in to his driveway in the fall so he isn't an impostor and I do believe he has his name though I don't...the only thing I received was the heated phone call after it happened.  I also agree about interactions with COs, I've had multiple over the years and never once was one bad, in fact I recently signed up to be a F&G volunteer.  

The "blind" that the CO said he watched him and his kids build is no simple hidden blind either, it's essentially a club house in the woods made of logs with a roof and cut out windows just a short walk from his back deck.

So given this is TWENTY ACRES, what you're saying is that this C.O. pretty much has to trespass pretty deep every time he puts this place under surveillance given this has been going on for quite some time?

I mean, it seems odd that this C.O. who is assigned to a rather large geographical area in New Jersey keeps showing up at the exact same place if what you're describing is true.  Frankly, that alone, being so odd, would probably bear some weight in court.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Mazzgolf he said the CO never even checked his license or asked to see a valid turkey tag.  I asked him if he signed anything or saw any kind of paperwork and he said no, just that the CO said I'll mail you your tickets.  The same guy pulled in to his driveway in the fall so he isn't an impostor and I do believe he has his name though I don't...the only thing I received was the heated phone call after it happened.

Ummmmmmmm.........sooooooooooo.......... a legitimate C.O. never even CHECKED HIS LICENSE OR ASKED FOR HIS TAG?!?!?!!??!?!     REALLY!!!!????? 

Yeah.....I'm gonna' take a wild-azz-shot-in-the-dark and say you have an, "impersonating a law enforcement officer" case here. LOL

Be careful of believing something that occurred when you weren't there to see it yourself.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Make a fomal complaint with the county prosecutors office they supersede and all law enforcement agencies answers to then

That won't even get entertained by the Prosecutor, it will get kicked back to the original agency right away

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

This all sounds to me like the local CO is a friend of the neighbors and as a favor to them he's trying to make life hard for the "new guy on the block" who kicked his friends off the land they've been "hunting for decades".

But, honestly, that doesn't sound like the behavior of a CO - at least not the one's I've met. I'm still on the side of a phony imposter. "The ticket is in the mail" ??? He never checked licenses or permits??? Every time I was approached by a CO, first thing he did after saying "Hello" was "you guys have your licenses on you?"

See if this "CO" is submitting reports for each encounter (don't all law enforcement officers have to submit some kind of report each time they perform their duties - like if they stop a guy possibly hunting next to bait and walk with the guy while collecting evidence of said bait, or when checking up on a checked deer at a person's house, or just when checking licenses? I assume these reports are public - you might want to see if he is submitting reports and what he's saying in them (or just to see if there even are reports being submitted).

Sounds to me the guys that got kicked are calling in the C.O. And making a false claim of baiting? Sour grapes? Maybe the C.O. Even knows some of the guys that got booted. Next time get the C.O.'s name and bage number and call them to find out what's going on.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Mazzgolf he said the CO never even checked his license or asked to see a valid turkey tag.  I asked him if he signed anything or saw any kind of paperwork and he said no, just that the CO said I'll mail you your tickets.  The same guy pulled in to his driveway in the fall so he isn't an impostor and I do believe he has his name though I don't...the only thing I received was the heated phone call after it happened.  I also agree about interactions with COs, I've had multiple over the years and never once was one bad, in fact I recently signed up to be a F&G volunteer.  

Sounds like the CO used to hunt the land and it pissed him off when he said they can't any more. Did not check his license and tag plus said he will send the ticked sounds a little odd. Think is trying to intimidate him to either not hunt his own property or for him to offer him hunting privileges. He is not leaving a paper trail back to himself right now :think:.