IGNORED

Hunter harassment by a CO?

Incorrect, Criminal Trespass is a horse of another color

I mean I wasn't really referring to some guy in your yard at night, but if your on a wooded lot and it's not posted and a hunter or trapper happens to wander on your property they won't be prosecuted

Not to take this thread completely OT, but out of curiosity, why feed deer from a corn chucker in April?

I honestly didnt know that was a thing, do lots of people do this.....

The feeder is not far behind his house and he put it there after building essentially an on the ground treehouse with his kids....they go out to it for easy wildlife watching and I'm assuming they'll deer hunt it....but again I was mostly just wondering if complaints can be made against excessive surveillance by a CO and if this sounds like that situation. It is after all his house and his land so although he's probably inviting harassment assuming all is legal he should have the right to have a feeder up without continued harassment.....if what he told me is correct then this one CO has made multiple trips to his property to watch him from a distance and has interrupted more than one legal hunt in the past week and a half on this guys property.

As for this whole ball of wax I find it rather amusing, everyone with there theories about the big bad CO. Maybe the person he is dealing with in his mind needs a little more attention then the rest of you law abiding hunters. As for mailing a summons he would already have the information needed from the fall inspection. Most CO's don't carry their books in their back pocket but rather have them safely back in the vehicle. And like it was stated earlier this is one persons side of the story! 

This whole thread is based on second hand accounts of someone telling someone else their version of the whole truth. The devil is in the details, including those that maybe are being left out.  

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Make a fomal complaint with the county prosecutors office they supersede and all law enforcement agencies answers to then

Going to agree with BHC here. While I can only take your (Hanky) word that what you say is true, it sounds like the CO is friends with one or more of the hunters that were asked to leave the property and he may be choosing sides. The family member will never win against this CO by going 1x1 with him, so the next logical choice is to proceed up the ladder. I would also suggest that this person, get into the habit of wearing a GoPro or some other form of video capture when walking the property. Strategically placed trail cams wouldn't hurt either. Document everything no matter how small it may seem. I hope things work out for this person.

As for this whole ball of wax I find it rather amusing, everyone with there theories about the big bad CO. Maybe the person he is dealing with in his mind needs a little more attention then the rest of you law abiding hunters. As for mailing a summons he would already have the information needed from the fall inspection. Most CO's don't carry their books in their back pocket but rather have them safely back in the vehicle. And like it was stated earlier this is one persons side of the story! 

And maybe the CO is out of control. SO we have two maybes :happywave:

Edited by Lunatic

Assuming this is true, not sure why someone would waste their time posting made up stories, it's clear the locals, including the CO are after your friend for taking their hunting spot. The CO is going to keep finding "violations" and your friend won't have a hunting license by deer season. It sucks, it's wrong, it's not fair, it's the way it is. Make peace.

Lot of maybes and possibilities. I would highly recommend, as others before me have said, that you start documenting everything. Dates/Times, vehicles, LPs, names, pictures, video. It's all within yours (and your friend's) rights and you both should do so to CYA. I'd even go as far as to call NJDFW Law Enforcement to get some clarifications (and further documentation) on what's transpiring.

Take it from me firsthand...not everyone is who they say they are and/or appear to be. Call LE and get them on board with what you're experiencing. If this is a legit CO staked out, they will (and should) have some record of it happening. From there, you and your friend can get on the same page with them to ensure you're following the laws and not unintentionally provoking any future interest by the COs. If they don't have any record or knowledge of it, they will be VERY interested in pursuing whoever is acting on their behalf. I've been there, they were excellent in following up my call with action and resolving the situation.

Good luck and keep us posted, I'm sure we're all interested in seeing how this pans out.

yup because the way the tresspass law is written the land has to be posted or the people have to be told to leave, if they come back a second time then they can be charged

The way the criminal trespass law is written and the fish and game law is written, you better hope the CO is on site.

The CO will write for offenses, it is their job.

Posting signs does

not excite the local police and the judge will throw out the case if it is not "criminal," trespass.