IGNORED

Hunter harassment by a CO?

Harassment plain and simple, while I thankfully don't have wardens wandering around on my property or the adjacent property of Grinnell, I do have a very similar situation with hunters who've hunted around here for a while and refuse to leave. Course the "poachers" which they've done BTW have to be friends with the guy we bought our house from thus we know them. Besides that, I think your family member could file something for stalking, harassment, etc. as that seems to be what the warden is doing.

That's a shame. What interactions I've had with several COs down here in the south has been nothing but positive and professional.

You sure the guy is a CO and not an imposter? Who sends the tickets in the mail anyway?  Wouldn't you get a summons right then and there? Do you have the CO's name?

On a separate note, this is correct and I am still amazed at how many land owners don't actually know the NJ title 23:7 trespass law and the requirements needed for the land to be considered "legally posted". Virtually all the posted signs I've seen have no ID on them - but for your land to be considered posted, you must put your name on them (you don't have to put a phone number or address, but you need your name on them). People go through all the trouble to hang these signs and fail to put their name on them - if trespassers actually DO get caught and ticketed, they can go to court and say the land was not properly posted because there was no land owner name on the signs.

Are you sure the land needs to be posted in order for you not to be legal to hunt or ttrespassthe property that does not belong to you? Isn't it your responsibility to find out before you enter?

Sounds like the CO used to hunt the land and it pissed him off when he said they can't any more. Did not check his license and tag plus said he will send the ticked sounds a little odd. Think is trying to intimidate him to either not hunt his own property or for him to offer him hunting privileges. He is not leaving a paper trail back to himself right now :think:.

I agree

I've never heard of a CO mailing someone tickets. If the "CO" did write tickets then their should be a record of it. If he didn't write the tickets then he made a threat or you have someone impersonating a law enforcement officer.

A guy with a corn feeder out in the spring hunting turkeys, Oh...but not hunting too close to it. :hmmmer:  Two sides to every story.  We are only getting partial fragmented info from one side I suspect. 

Are you sure the land needs to be posted in order for you not to be legal to hunt or ttrespassthe property that does not belong to you? Isn't it your responsibility to find out before you enter?

if the land is not posted by the landowner with their name, co will never prosecute trespassers

I think there is more to this story. I just don't see a co going on a witch hunt for something like this. Imo he would have to much to lose but I could be wrong. He may just be acting on complaints from neighbors. If your buddy is legit he will see that. But your friend is asking for trouble having an active feeder on same 20 acres he is turkey hunting

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Edited by bill43

if the land is not posted by the landowner with their name, co will never prosecute trespassers

So if someone is trespassing your back yard and you call the cops they will let him go because its not posted?

As others have said sounds like the co is buddies with the trespassers to hell with em all I'm sorry your friends going through this can't think of anything besides reporting the co good luck

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chasing the deer that eat your bushes since 2012

So if someone is trespassing your back yard and you call the cops they will let him go because its not posted?

Yes, they will be told that they are trespassing but will not receive a summons or a ticket. The co will say that if you want to press charges, your land must be posted to the states requirements. (Every x amount of feet, proper signs, landowners name, etc)

there is one rough CO in Cumberland County. i met him once.asked me a ton of questions, trying to trip me up. came on very strong. he had another Co with him. and was with a "hunter"

the next day i had another CO call me and apologize for his actions. i guess the other CO told him.

the person they were with and pushing for, had federal F+G charges against him within a month. CO never showed again. 

so i know there is one from Cumberland that has a pretty big head on his shoulders. 

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association