IGNORED

Cops called on me

gobblergetter

I could have sworn Evan Nappen said you don't need an FID to transport unloaded secured long gun firearms

You don't if you go directly from the hunting area to your home or from your home to the hunting area. The minute you deviate, you could have problems. You are only allowed to have a "reasonable deviation necessary under the circumstances." Does that include stopping to pee? Getting gas? Stopping at WaWa for a coffee? Stopping to pick up or drop off your buddy? Good luck trying to talk your way through that.

Without an FID, if you are hunting with a firearm, you must follow this while transporting:

2C:39-6

(3)   A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)   Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

g.   Any weapon being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Edited by mazzgolf

The law was changed in 2016 when transporting weapons your allowed to stop for coffe , have a sandwich etc normal stuff when ever a situation falls into the gray area the officers are to document only the situation only " not arrest " county prosecutor has final say if person gets charged.

It came from when that guy in south jersey got locked up from after a day shooting think he stopped at his mothers to eat.

But I am sure with the new govenor coming in January the law will change again.

Glad things worked out, but who is looking in your truck? Thief, concerned citizen, progressive liberal or anti?

This.I would want to know what kind of whack job is going around casing people's cars.In this state you can be safe in assuming it's either a criminal or a whack job liberal.Either way your a hunter and where severely harrassed.I don't see how that's not hunter harassment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm really hoping that I'll be dead by then and buried in a different state.

My mom said something similar yesterday regarding the total corruption of the political and justice system. She is very disturbed by the new FBI bias revelations, failure to investigate clear crimes by Clinton's and Obama Admin people and intense focus on trying to find a crime to pin to Trump, and she's was a Democrat most of her life, as was her entire family, even was a poll worker for Dems. Said she is glad she is at the end of her years and hopes not to see what this Country is becoming but fears she will because it's happening so fast, and so blatantly, right in front of us.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Jay, NJ considers a full magazine alone with out the firearm it goes to, a loaded weapon, so if you have a loaded mag in your car, it's the same as a loaded gun.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

The law was changed in 2016 when transporting weapons your allowed to stop for coffe , have a sandwich etc normal stuff when ever a situation falls into the gray area the officers are to document only the situation only " not arrest " county prosecutor has final say if person gets charged.

It came from when that guy in south jersey got locked up from after a day shooting think he stopped at his mothers to eat.

But I am sure with the new govenor coming in January the law will change again.

OK, so, to be technical, the "law" was not changed. There is no law that defines "reasonably necessary deviation."

What Christie did was perform an executive action (and you are right, the new governor can revoke this) - he had his attorney general's office issue guidelines to law enforcement agencies giving them instructions how they are to define "reasonably necessary deviation." You can read the official attorney general's guidelines statement here. This NJ.com article and this Politico article describes it.

The attorney general’s new guidelines on gun transport more clearly defines what “reasonable deviations” are allowed, including picking up passengers, buying gas, buying food, using the bathroom, emergency situations and driving around a traffic jam.

So, this is merely "guidelines" issued by the current attorney general's office. As easy as they came, it is that easy they can go. Just as it was easy for the legislature to pass a prohibition against Christie's other executive action expanding the definition of "justifiable need". And I have absolutely every reason to believe our future rabid-anti-gun governor will tell his new attorney general to revoke those guidelines from Christie's administration.

Besides, read these guidelines - when you read it, even WITH the new guidelines in place, you can see how we are to be treated as if we are a criminal UNLESS we can prove otherwise. Here's what you have to look forward to if you want a police officer to NOT ticket you or arrest you if you are stopped and do not have an FID with you:

A police officer stopping a vehicle with firearms . . . should request that the driver disclose the vehicle's point of origin and destination, and also should ask about the route traveled, inquiring whether, for what purpose and for how long the vehicle made any deviations in the course of travel. A police officer also should inquire concerning any intermediate locations where, in the course of travel, the vehicle was parked, the distance of these locations from the intended destination point and route of travel, and the duration of any such stop.

So, be prepared to give an entire log of your drive - where you drove, how long you stayed, how far you traveled, where you are coming from and where you are going to. Not quite a Nazi interogation, but geez, seems all that is missing is "Papers, please!"

"But I don't have to tell the police officer that! I have my rights!" This is correct, but look what happens if you don't:

It should be noted that a citizen cannot be compelled by an officer to make a testimonial statement. If the person fails or refuses to respond to police questions seeking information relevant to whether there was a deviation from direct travel and whether such deviation was reasonably necessary in the circumstances, the officer may in the exercise of his or her discretion proceed as if the exemption does not apply, and may leave the ultimate resolution of the applicability of the exemption to the prosecutor and/or the court.

So basically the police officer can just arrest you or write a ticket and let the courts decide. Awesome.

Finally, here's just another little tidbit to share to show how we are treated like children and can't be trusted to drive around with an unloaded/cased firearm and are considered criminals first, and law-abiding citizens second:

The more direct the route between the points of origin and destination, the more likely the exemption is to apply. An excessively circuitous route weighs against the applicability of the exemption . . . a roundabout route (taken, for example, simply to enjoy the drive) likely would not fall within the scope of the exemption.

God-forbid we drive around because it's a beautiful day and we want to look at the fall leaves turning on our way home from a nice day of hunting.

So, yeah, I'm still carrying my FID even WITH these guidelines in place (which I doubt will remain in place anyway when the new governor is in charge).

Don't know when things changed but it once was The shotgun had to be cased in the car during the hours of darkness after hunting. 

When spotting deer at night no gun ( firearm) can be in Position.

To and from a range Cased with ammo stored separately.

The Rule Out of Sight Out of Mind still stands. 

Was stopped many times on the roads in Oxford and Stocks during hunting season by wardens and asked to see License and for properly plugged shotgun while the guns were in the back seat uncased.   

Or walk along the roadway with an exposed shotgun.  Guess today that calls for the swat team to come after you. 

If and when stopped for any reason by Police the first words are I have Unloaded Firearms in my car. can save a lot of heartaches from not doing so.  And Yes I carry my FID card if Caring Firearms. Mine says carry and Purchase.      

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

This.I would want to know what kind of whack job is going around casing people's cars.In this state you can be safe in assuming it's either a criminal or a whack job liberal.Either way your a hunter and where severely harrassed.I don't see how that's not hunter harassment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Off topic but i was scouting out a patch of woods closer to my home that were not posted private property..... for trapping season and i had 20 some cops roll up on me. I had my girlfriend at the time in my car and she said a lady came up and asked what i was doing, guess she drove by as i was walking into the woods. She told the truth to the lady and the lady left, gf called me and within 5 minutes of the calls 20 cops came....I walked out and told them the truth, they let me go and gave some BS reasoning not to be in those woods. meanwhile im talking to the cop and hes standing next to shooters, bud light cans on the side of the road and grafitti is spray painted on a bridge 150 yards away. I wonder if the cops come 20 deep for the a$$hats who do illegal sheet.

Off topic but i was scouting out a patch of woods closer to my home that were not posted private property..... for trapping season and i had 20 some cops roll up on me. I had my girlfriend at the time in my car and she said a lady came up and asked what i was doing, guess she drove by as i was walking into the woods. She told the truth to the lady and the lady left, gf called me and within 5 minutes of the calls 20 cops came....I walked out and told them the truth, they let me go and gave some BS reasoning not to be in those woods. meanwhile im talking to the cop and hes standing next to shooters, bud light cans on the side of the road and grafitti is spray painted on a bridge 150 yards away. I wonder if the cops come 20 deep for the a$$hats who do illegal sheet.

You were in Their Spot In my township there is open land according to Township Firearms. allowed map but hear hunters get harassed by local Cops and public works guys who hunt those areas.  :focus:  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif