IGNORED

Cops called on me

gobblergetter

Actually you did not need to show your FID as the hunting license was enough for you to legally carry your shotgun in the vehicle. But then again if you had it so much the better, rather than try and explain the gun laws to cops who may have only read the first portion of the law and not the exceptions to the law.

Actually you did not need to show your FID as the hunting license was enough for you to legally carry your shotgun in the vehicle. But then again if you had it so much the better, rather than try and explain the gun laws to cops who may have only read the first portion of the law and not the exceptions to the law.

Not true if he was on his way to his job, as he said, "then went to quick check in lake hopatcong for a cup of coffee before continuing a few blocks to the jobsite. Not there 5 minutes and three explorers with four lake hopatcong cops pull up". That is not going _directly_ to or from hunting area which is what the exception says. That is a classic "deviation". Was it reasonable? Necessary? If the police officers determine it is not, you are outside the scope of the exception and illegal. UNLESS he had and can show his FID card (which is what he did).

Wow I never knew that! Such bs.

Did they check to see where your ammo Was?

Is it illegal to have ammo in the cab?

Is it illegal to have a magazine loaded but not clipped in the cased gun?

Say you're going from spot to spot all week hunting, can you legally pull the clip, case the gun, and drive from point a to point b with the magazine loaded in a cup holder or coat pocket?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It is illegal to have a loaded mag.

Things like this are becoming the norm.  Guys, also do yourself a favor and keep your cased guns separate from your ammo.  I have a pickup with a cap, my guns are cased in the seat behind me, ammo is kept in the bed.  If you have a Tahoe or something like that, the ammo has to be kept in a locked box in the rear.  A club member was pulled over one morning while driving (with his orange hat on), State Police saw him and pulled him over.  He was lucky that he just got a ticket for not having his ammo locked in a box in a Chevy SUV. 

It really seems to depend on the cop, as I was pulled over for speeding on route 23 last year, state cop followed me and finally pulled me over.  I always say hi how are you so as not to put them on edge.He stopped by the passenger back window, hand on his gun asking for license etc.  He asked what is in that case?  I told him a shotgun.  He asks where are you going, I told him bird hunting as my one crated dog was barking at him through the window.  He asked me a few hunting questions like whats the limit?  I told him its private, we set our own limit, usually 2 birds by 12 then after that it doesn't matter.  He gave me a ticket for obstructed license plate, second one I've gotten in 2 years - watch those speed traps!  Again I said - "My license plate is clear as day", he smiled.   Afterwards I always say be safe out there.  That one stopped him, he turned around and said thank you. 

Never have a magazine loaded. It is an extension of the firearm and thus considered loaded. Carry your hunting licence and FID card at all times during any open season and your covered. Period end of story. If not an open season carry the FID card, covered end of story. If you don't have an FID card and are relying just on the hunting license because of the technical basis that you don't need it, you are an idiot and asking for someone to crawl up your ass with a microscope

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

gobblergetter,

Sorry you had to go through the aggravation but it is the sign of the times. With all the crap going on worldwide and now homeland people are on edge. It's worst with people in the 'burbs and urban areas that are far removed from the land and don't fish and hunt. Like some of the other folks have said put a blanket or something over the gun case. No need to keep it in plane sight just low profile it and you won't have to deal with the uninformed nonsense.

Edited by HeadedWest1

Moving to a new house soon. have to transport 20 long guns and 12 or so handguns. Could I have a problem? LOL! No ammo. ammo in storage already.

Among other things don't do stupid things like criminals do to get pulled over.  Things like driving 95 mph or with a broken tail lights, be in possession of drugs etc..

Edited by Gunsmoke

Sorry that happened gg but who the heck was looking into your vehicle!?

Don't know

I parked by the entrance and locked the doors...went inside and got a coffee so I wasn't gone long. They supposedly followed me to the jobsite site a short distance away.

They put forth an effort to report 'the sighting '

I offered my hunting license , then they wanted my drivers license (to confirm my I.d. ) then my firearms i.d. card. Everything checked out.

I was 100% legit. So no issues...like I mentioned in original post, the cops were pretty cool about it and we actually joked around a little bit. My grip or disbelief is with the general public and how things have changed over the years...what will it be like in another 30 or 40 years ?!?!

Firearms ID card?  You are not required to carry that when in possession of a firearm.  That is the law in NJ.  It used to say possess but they were forced to remove it by the courts.  I never carry mine unless I am going to buy ammo or a firearm so they are not allowed to ask you for it.