IGNORED

Are we blessed?

JHbowhunter

NJ has the best sweet corn. and tomatoes. And I've always said that I love the topography, the hardwood ridges in their fall glory with it's tiny (lol) rutting bucks will always live in my heart. Some of the trout streams aren't bad. I don't take advantage of the salt. But the people. The over abundance of different mindset people is what kills it for me.

My own personal mindset is too always strive to improve. And that's were I have the biggest problem with the way NJ manages it's natural resources. I feel there's a lot of untapped potential. So, "Are we blessed?" I don't know, I try to stay positive, but I am counting the days until my only view of NJ is in the rearview mirror.

without me, my rifle is nothing

It's human nature to think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I know quite a few people who moved to other states, Virginia, Florida and Georgia to name a few, that came back to NJ. All had different reasons such as too hot, lost 2 houses due to hurricanes,low wages and less opportunity, missed family, and didn't speak hillbilly.

I myself love the Midwest. I own property and houses there that I rent out. I love the people and the hunting and fishing opportunities there. If I had to live there 12 months out of the year I would lose my mind. Come November there is no place better to be. Even December and January late season deer hunting is great. After that the movie the Shining comes to mind.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

It's human nature to think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I know quite a few people who moved to other states, Virginia, Florida and Georgia to name a few, that came back to NJ. All had different reasons such as too hot, lost 2 houses due to hurricanes,low wages and less opportunity, missed family, and didn't speak hillbilly.

I myself love the Midwest. I own property and houses there that I rent out. I love the people and the hunting and fishing opportunities there. If I had to live there 12 months out of the year I would lose my mind. Come November there is no place better to be. Even December and January late season deer hunting is great. After that the movie the Shining comes to mind.

Very true zipper, I moved to SC about 5 years ago thinking all my problems were solved. Well after 2.5 years of not making money equal to what I was making here in comparison to the cost of living and discovering that "southern hospitality" only rings true if you are also southern I tucked tail and came home. I'll go back when I retire and live like a king but trying to make a living or raise a family just isn't a reality

But - where else can you truly live and get that kind of variety as an outdoorsman? Our deer hunting is not on par with Ohio, Iowa, Kansas, etc.  But we have better bear hunting. We have better fishing, heck they can't fluke fish out there.  Only thing we are really missing are speed goats, elk, moose, 'bou and mule deer.

I agree.  I'm a PA resident and hunt in NJ.  The other good thing is we have other states close by.  NJ, PA, NY, and MD are all just a car ride away.  You can take a couple hour car ride and get to use different weapons at different times and hunt different types of areas.  You can hunt sparse big woods, suburban lots, or farm country.  I love it.  

Now I know where all the road rage is coming from. with all the disgruntled residents not living the good life in NJ Who feel trapped in their Jobs, The grass is always greener till you live in someone else's shoes. 3rd generation NJ 7th generation North America. Visited some 30 States. been 3/4 the way around the World. Worked hard for what I have.

Nj was and is still run by Crooks And the Cities and towns the Crooks were run out of are the Failures. It started in Newark and spread like a disease. Nj is not perfect but a hell of a lot better than many other choices.   

11084769_1558225654427207_1680767288_n.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Seems like we just concluded a long deer season, many nice deer were shot, stories shared on here.  We had our first October bear hunts, and got to follow along with those that ran baits for months in advance, and got to share in their success...  Winter gave us a late blast, but it didn't stop the trout opener, many are out and enjoying it in Jersey, PA and NY. The shad run came back in full force - many members are out and about enjoying the purple-silver fighters. Turkey is about to open - there will be many longbeard adventures posted here. I see huge stripers posted, that's only going to get better, followed by blues, fluke, seabass sharks and tuna, then stripers all over again, then blackfish. Didn't even mention the rest of the freshwater menu, like catfish, largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, pike, musky, crappie, etc. Bowfishing anyone - we got it.   Many will be scouting whitetails for the fall opener, many already putting out minerals and working food plots.

I know we are not Alaska, or Montana, Wyoming, etc... I know we pay horrendous taxes and risk our lives enduring grueling commutes. I know we are surrounded by a-holes in just about everything we do...

But - where else can you truly live and get that kind of variety as an outdoorsman? Our deer hunting is not on par with Ohio, Iowa, Kansas, etc.  But we have better bear hunting. We have better fishing, heck they can't fluke fish out there.  Only thing we are really missing are speed goats, elk, moose, 'bou and mule deer.

WELL SAID!!

I don't think Jack was claiming that we live in the Garden of Eden. His point was that we can be thankful for the many outstanding opportunities for outdoor recreation we have here. As I travel across the country, people are stunned at the beautiful landscape and seascapes we have in Nj. Most think it's all smokestacks and pavement. When I explain the opportunity for deer hunting here, their minds are blown. Bottom line is no place is perfect, but we have many good things in Nj. And if you're from NJ, you can complain, if not "Forget About It"!

Edited by Zipper

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this.

Look - I'm the first to say I hate NJ :laughing: .... NJ still has crap areas (I'm a very short car ride to Camden - and when I get jury duty, I have to look forward to making that trip. :vomit: ) Property taxes are ridiculous. Hunting licenses and permits are expensive. State is run by crooks and gun-hating liberals.

But in the past week I scouted a new public place looking for turkey - last Saturday and last night. It's deep in the woods yet only a short drive away. I spotted 4 hen turkeys. I bumped a half dozen deer. I brought my fishing rod with me because I knew there was some fishing holes in here that I wanted to scope out - and I caught a pickerel within 5 minutes. Watched two beavers swimming and making all kinds of racket by splashing with their tails (I guess they didn't want me around). Watched some geese swimming about 200 yards away and saw a mallard land 100 yards from me - hmmm, I think I just found an awesome waterfowl spot! I heard two barred owls calling to each other. I thought to myself, "in this one area, there's waterfowl, turkey, deer... and if I was a trapper, beaver." I didn't see any squirrel, but they have to be in here too - perfect environment for them. All this with lots more surrounding woods that I haven't even walked through yet - so enough space to easily get away from other people especially in the mornings during the week (which is when I normally get out).

And that's just one spot. My "normal" spots are closer to me and have just as much variety of wildlife - including fox and coyote as well as plenty of squirrel (and crow! don't forget that).

Take a slightly longer drive and get to the beach for some salt water fishing or for the annual crabbing trip in the bay (and while crabbing I also like to wet a line to fish for some striper - not keepers, but good fighting size nonetheless). Not to mention if you go the other way you can hit the river.

So all within less than an hours drive (most within 15 to 30 minutes of me) I can hit the woods, ocean, river, or bay for turkey, deer, geese, duck, squirrel, fox, coyote, crow, fresh water and salt water fishing, crabbing. I honestly don't have time to do it all (I also like to go pheasant hunting with friends, too, at a semi-wild preserve that is 40 minutes away).

Of course this isn't the Garden of Eden (you need something to look forward to when you get to heaven :lol:) and I'm sure there are parts of the country that are as good or better. We don't have big deer like the midwest. We don't have large bass like Florida. But overall, the hunting and fishing and crabbing in this state is varied and (almost as important) close by! What good is it if you have to drive 1 or 2 hours to go fishing or hunting? I like hopping in the car and having the option of driving just 15 minutes and being able to fish or hunt - and most of my spots are 30 minutes or less of a drive.

When I do move out of this state, before I decide to go somewhere I'm first going to compare its hunting and fishing opportunities to the opportunities we have here because I think overall we do have it pretty good in that department (I just pray where ever that is that it is acceptable to the wife :praying:).

Edited by mazzgolf

The only people who think NJ is even remotely a great place to live are... A) unfortunate enough to have never lived anywhere else or B) is a liberal or C) is a criminal knowing his pray is usually, by law, un-armed..or D) a law enforcement officer who loves all the action because of C.,.. and E) are lawyers who profit big time off of B,C,D..

My travels tell me there is no better Salt Water fishing than the Gulf Of Mexico, .. There is good hunting and fresh water fishing in almost every state.. How many times does anyone go to see a Broadway play?.. With the money I save on taxes alone I could go visit NYC 4 or 5 times a year to see a play. Not that I or many of you ever go see a play that often.. Food?... I'll give you that one.. That's about the only thing I miss.. When it comes to good eats, Va Beach Va is nothing more than a franchise city as is a lot of this country these days... It's horrible.. But I like home cooked meals anyway soooo...

I know its hard to uproot and leave  the life you've built since like forever.. I get it.. But just because its hard to just drop everything and move to a free country doesn't mean you have to lie to yourselves about how great things are.. Doing so may make you actually believe that nonsense and once you believe it, you may inadvertently ruin somebody elses life by convincing them NJ is not a bad place to grow some roots...

And on a final note.. While some of you are busy prancing around in la la land seemingly oblivious to the carnage around you, there are even more storm clouds brewing on the horizon.. Soon you will no longer be under Gov. Christies Protection.. Soon you may find yourselves Governed by a Feinstein or Nancy Pelosi or  Schumer Type Governor and have bestowed upon you all the privileges that go with it...

Good luck with that... :cupcoffee:

so you are saying, we are not "blessed"?

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Axiom, how many times does someone go see a Broadway Play? You're absolutely right on that one. I am more a fan of the Metropolitan Opera House. Pardon me, could you please pass me the Grey Poupon?