IGNORED

To drive, or not to drive

Zone35killer

I don't see any problem with driving although I don't participate. I just think it should not be allowed on public land. The act of driving deer takes over huge and unreasonable amount of land and  no one else can even be near it while in progress. It isn't very safe as well.

55 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

I personally believe driving deer on public land should be banned and kept legal on private land.

To me the yo buck style of shooting deer isn't a form of hunting. I'd be more open to guys doing a silent drive where they use their scent to bump the deer instead of the deer running full tilt in high gear. This is one of the main reasons I stopped hunting Assunpink years ago.

I'm sure this post will probably tick some members off and make me look like an elitist. ... And I'm ok with that.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I agree with you on no driving on public land but I don't on the reason. Driving is hunting and a very old, effective way of hunting. I just don't think the character of public land in NJ makes driving a sensible way to hunt.

I love deer drives, look forward to getting together with all my buddies/family and filling the freezer after sitting all bow session...don't see anything wrong with it if done right...if it's legal then why not, it like the old bow or crossbow conversation
I agree with you on no driving on public land but I don't on the reason. Driving is hunting and a very old, effective way of hunting. I just don't think the character of public land in NJ makes driving a sensible way to hunt.
This isn't meant to pick a fight but this subject is a hot button for me. I used to spend alot of time, effort, and money in finding a great spot for treestand hunting 6 day. And when guys go walking around screaming like a bunch of idiots hoping to shoot a deer, all the while completely messing up the area I'm sitting in, is simply not right. Many guys like myself take some of our limited vacation days off of work to go hunting and to enjoy the solitude. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've witnessed the gun clubs drop off countless numbers of people to drive a spot. I recall one such instance where they were throwing sticks at brush piles looking like Elmer Fudd thinking that deer were going to jump out and take off. Are you serious? And what is infuriating is they were doing this opening morning of 6 day.

When I first started hunting in the Jenny Jump area, the unwritten rule was that everyone stand hunted Monday to Wednesday, drove Thursday and Friday, and stand hunted Saturday. To me that's fair as it allowed everyone their time to hunt with the method of their choice. But it also didn't infringe on people wanting the quiet and peaceful time.

Private land... Go do whatever you want. I don't care.

David

3 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

This isn't meant to pick a fight but this subject is a hot button for me. I used to spend alot of time, effort, and money in finding a great spot for treestand hunting 6 day. And when guys go walking around screaming like a bunch of idiots hoping to shoot a deer, all the while completely messing up the area I'm sitting in, is simply not right. Many guys like myself take some of our limited vacation days off of work to go hunting and to enjoy the solitude. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've witnessed the gun clubs drop off countless numbers of people to drive a spot. I recall one such instance where they were throwing sticks at brush piles looking like Elmer Fudd thinking that deer were going to jump out and take off. Are you serious? And what is infuriating is they were doing this opening morning of 6 day.

When I first started hunting in the Jenny Jump area, the unwritten rule was that everyone stand hunted Monday to Wednesday, drove Thursday and Friday, and stand hunted Saturday. To me that's fair as it allowed everyone their time to hunt with the method of their choice. But it also didn't infringe on people wanting the quiet and peaceful time.

Private land... Go do whatever you want. I don't care.

David

Use clubs to your advantage hunt escape routes.  But I under stand your view

Small drives are highly effective and safe, I like a group of 4 guys, after that it get's a little shakey. Driving does take some degree of skill,you still should play the wind on every drive and know their escape routes and set up accordingly.  Just walking through the woods aimlessly will not be that  productive so scouting and planning is key:up:

Edited by bucky

I’ve done a few small drives, it’s different and can be fun but not really my thing. I do have a problem with it on public land though and not for the reason of my hunt being ruined. I’ve actually had great hunts when drives where being done around me! My gripe is the gun season is so long and for deer to survive winter they need to save every calorie they can. When they’re constantly being pushed around in their most fragile time of the year it has to take a huge toll on them and that’s the ones that actually survive the gauntlet.

Bucks particularly are extremely fragile after the rut and here in NJ there’s rutting going on into December, so how is a buck going to survive the extra stress of being pushed around? Go to a WMA on a Saturday and you’ll see set of trucks in a spot and drive by half hour later and an entire new set of trucks will be there! With all the other stress they face from stand hunters, hikers, bikers and predators the odds are extremely stacked against them and it’s showing. But that’s seems to be what NJFG wants..all the deer dead, raise our rates adding in a buck stub giving us less for more! Our states “wildlife management plan” is a joke!

I have a very simple philosophy when it comes to deer hunting.   I do everything in my power, to eliminate as much human intrusion into the whitetail's habitat as possible.  I don't just care about the day's hunt, I care about tomorrow's hunt as well, and not just tomorrow as in "tomorrow" (I do mean that too) but also about years to come. Today's button buck, today's forkhorn, today's 2.5 year old 8pt, etc - they won't frequent your properties if you continually harass them.    

The better you treat your deer today will provide you better quality deer hunting tomorrow - in  the long run. 

I grew up deer hunting with my father's gangs...   You can have it.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

It's a dead horse that's been beat 100000000 times. 

I feel it's a  primitive way to hunt, but we evolve. 

We are  allegedly the "smartest" race on the planet yet we hold on to the past yelling "yo buck" like a bunch of a$$ hats cause its "tradition".

Not my choice but unfortunately to each is own, I just chose to vacate the woods and most places once it starts. 

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

2 hours ago, Psehunter said:

I love deer drives, look forward to getting together with all my buddies/family and filling the freezer after sitting all bow session...don't see anything wrong with it if done right...if it's legal then why not, it like the old bow or crossbow conversation

If you sit all bow season correctly,  your freezer should be filled,  putting an end to drives and getting together with family and friends to enjoy what you worked for during bow season 

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

I have a very simple philosophy when it comes to deer hunting.   I do everything in my power, to eliminate as much human intrusion into the whitetail's habitat as possible.  I don't just care about the day's hunt, I care about tomorrow's hunt as well, and not just tomorrow as in "tomorrow" (I do mean that too) but also about years to come. Today's button buck, today's forkhorn, today's 2.5 year old 8pt, etc - they won't frequent your properties if you continually harass them.    

The better you treat your deer today will provide you better quality deer hunting tomorrow - in  the long run. 

I grew up deer hunting with my father's gangs...   You can have it.  

I love it when guys continually harass their deer. They dont stick around very long before they head to a nice little sanctuary

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com