IGNORED

Fall Trout/Good decision made

LPJR

I can understand that, Brian. However there is deep water in the nearby reservoirs that can hold the fish.. It looked like the Salmon River with the fish puddling with their dorsal s out of the water and guys trying to snag them. I just think better judgement could have been used is all.

Stocked trout are just like Doritos - they'll make more  :)

It's always been hard for me personally to get too excited about stocked trout or stocked pheasants.  Sure I pursue them because they are mostly what this lousy state has, but whenever I can I prefer wild trout and ruffed grouse and woodcock to the stocked critters.  The difference is night and day IMO.  Stocking trout now in rivers that might be full if it rains is their better bet over reservoirs as the Division knows our rivers are currently depleted of both wild and stocked trout over the past year.  Regardless of when it rains again, our rivers won't rebound for at least 2 full years.    

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the lower half of the Flat Brook has some nice deep holes if you look for them.  That river unlike any others I know only holds trout in the deeper waters for the most part.

Very true I have fished it in many sections over many years and there are ones that are not easy to get to I fished one a week after fall stocking very few know it is there, The Trout were swimming in Schools back a forth in a 100-yard stretch they could have moved out of this stretch but the low water held them to it.  Fished with Son 10 YO  Grandson I and many that fish that stretch Catch and Release,  for now since they are not that good to Eat, come to end, of Feb. March after feeding Naturally they are worth keeping a few.  Note the water was just about flowing. but Spring fed keeps it cold,   And most quit fishing there now till spring.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Yeah, the lower half of the Flat Brook has some nice deep holes if you look for them.  That river unlike any others I know only holds trout in the deeper waters for the most part.

Very true I have fished it in many sections over many years and there are ones that are not easy to get to I fished one a week after fall stocking very few know it is there, The Trout were swimming in Schools back a forth in a 100-yard stretch they could have moved out of this stretch but the low water held them to it.  Fished with Son 10 YO  Grandson I and many that fish that stretch Catch and Release,  for now since they are not that good to Eat, come to end, of Feb. March after feeding Naturally they are worth keeping a few.  Note the water was just about flowing. but Spring fed keeps it cold,   And most quit fishing there now till spring.

Nice fall brown I caught twice and hope to get him again a few times.

Very nice if i plan to release them like 99% I keep them in the water and handle with wet hands not to remove the slime coat  

Very nice if i plan to release them like 99% I keep them in the water and handle with wet hands not to remove the slime coat  

I do 99% of the time but he had a # 9 rapala in his throat it was basically going to get tossed in the creel. I was actually smallmouth fishing when I caught him the first time when that picture was taken.  I got the hook out ok. But you are 100% correct sir and that is how I do it as well on trout myself. I just basically spared him from the smoker that day .Thank you for your input Sir. I appreciate it and thank you Steve. 

Yeah, the lower half of the Flat Brook has some nice deep holes if you look for them.  

there are ones that are not easy to get to .  .  .  .  very few know it is there,   The Trout were swimming in Schools 

You're right 1957, I used to electro-shock that stretch when I worked with fisheries.  There are a few nice spots that always have fish.  

For the right price I won't tell everyone where your honey-hole is.   :rofl:

You're right 1957, I used to electro-shock that stretch when I worked with fisheries.  There are a few nice spots that always have fish.  

For the right price I won't tell everyone where your honey-hole is.   :rofl:

:up: From Layton to the Delaware there are many holes that have no good access to but to many require a Hike or over abandoned roads some down private roads drives. Some Bridges & roads were washed out never to be replaced or improved ( Layton & Roy )  to mention 2. My experience has been the Trout move along the length of Flatbrook many say it gets fished out far from the truth they are just spread out The roadside access get hammered,  I have seen them stacked up like cordwood under the banks and fallen tree stumps. thru out the year. That is when it goes from Catching to Fishing.  Another point they are well fed with natural food never landed one that had an empty belly. Most fisherman I meet and know practice Catch and Release. while others try for a limit. but after the initial stocking periods, that becomes difficult if not impossible  and their ranks get thinned out, Leaving Top shelf Fishing for those willing to Fish Many with the Fly Rod, If you ever had the Chance to Trout fish The Very upper Delaware River you know what I am talking about.  I am sure Rusty will agree they are there but not for the weekend Warrior I mean nothing with that Name calling just that you have to put in the time and explore, Good Luck  Let me add The National Park Service has done nothing with all that land but have created a wilderness area but for a Public Swimming area on The Delaware, and closed other that became abused,  Hunting is another story for another Post.  Rusty even if a few spots were exposed few would take the energy to try to get to those Honey Holes  :rofl:  as You call them. Bill