IGNORED

Shoot or Don't Shoot - Shot Placement Quiz

BowhunterNJ

Someone in another topic mentioned a little shot placement quiz from the buck picture in there.

Ignoring whether you'd shoot this particular buck or not, which shot(s) do you feel is/are best and under what conditions?

Shoot or don't shot?  If you shoot, what color (red, blue, green, yellow, or other [specify where]) is your aiming point?

shotPlacement.jpeg

I can't find the checkboxes or radio buttons to answer this quiz.  Will is be graded?  How much does it affect my final grade?  Does spelling count?

Yes.  100%.  Yes.

If you can't find the checkboxes or radio buttons, you already failed...sorry HH :rofl:

For anyone else, there aren't any checkboxes or radio buttons. :D

It's only going to be red or blue from a ground blind regardless of distance. Blue doesn't have the same degree of error that red would have unless you are counting on some kind of body drop from the alert deer.  However, if you are confident in the estimated range and your pins/crosshairs, shooting at red from the ground blind does help from a tracking standpoint as there would be less chance of the chest cavity filling with blood before you got a good blood trail.

The kids I have set up so that the 20 yard cross/circle hits an inch high and is zero at 25.  Between 10-25, if we aim at the blue dot here we are golden.  Tracking may be hard but they shouldn't go far with the double lung hit.

Gun or bow?  Never saw a deer duck a 150 grain Nosler Partition out of my 7 mag before, but can't say the same for archery.....slide green to the right a bit and I'll drop him in his tracks with a bullet.

Gun or bow...up to you! :)

Gun wise, per your approach to drop in the tracks, I've seen a number of guys aim high on the shoulder with the gun to try and pin the shoulders where the meet the neck.  Roughly in the area the "G" is marked, drops them in their tracks.

shotPlacement.jpeg

I would never shoot the "G".  Gun is behind the shoulder above the elbow.  If you move the blue dot parallel to the green dot.

The shock form the bullet in that zone should traumatize both lungs and the heart.  It's also a better shot if you're hunting with a rifle out a couple hundred yards.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

don't shoot - too young!    But if I had to shoot it in order to survive and I didn't feel like tracking it and want to see it drop - blue all the way with bow if ground level. If elevated, possibly an inch or two higher depending on angle. (like just take the green and slide it on top of the blue in that same vertical line).

Yellow is a GREAT location for slight quartering away, and steep angle. That's one of the more common shots for me, I love any angle of quartering away for several reasons, one being that it's easier to draw undetected, and addition to giving you a wider margin for error to double lung and possibly double-lung and heart.

A problem I have with red is that it's much closer to gut than blue, as the lungs taper high to low.  If you drew a straight vertical line below yellow and even with red, it would be 100% gut shot, but where yellow is now and even a few inches further back starts the top of the lungs.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

My son has been practicing this summer aiming for the red/blue from the ground as well as the stand...

We practiced not only a week (before his injury/cast) from the ladder stand just to show him the difference elevation makes...He was shocked when his initial shots were high in the Glendel buck and it was a good learning lesson to know he has to aim slightly lower from the stand on a deer within 15-20 yards.....

Good thread :up:  :up: