IGNORED

Shoot or Don't Shoot - Shot Placement Quiz

BowhunterNJ

It's only going to be red or blue from a ground blind regardless of distance. Blue doesn't have the same degree of error that red would have unless you are counting on some kind of body drop from the alert deer with a Barnett crossbow bowstring However, if you are confident in the estimated range and your pins/crosshairs, shooting at red from the ground blind does help from a tracking standpoint as there would be less chance of the chest cavity filling with blood before you got a good blood trail.

The kids I have set up so that the 20 yard cross/circle hits an inch high and is zero at 25.  Between 10-25, if we aim at the blue dot here we are golden.  Tracking may be hard but they shouldn't go far with the double lung hit.

Blue is perfect! Just a bit under blue and you're even more perfect!

Next one.

attachicon.gifdeer under stand.jpg

Gun or bow?

I wouldn't shoot that even with a crossbow.  Really bad angle and the spine would deflect the shot.  Gun is a different story, and it depends on the gun and caliber.  I wouldn't take that shot at that distance with a .30-06 for fear of a pass-thru.  Might take it with a slug gun.  I would wait for a better angle with a muzzy.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Next one.

attachicon.gifdeer under stand.jpg

I made that exact shot last year - fastest death I ever seen.  Dropped on spot, took last breath at about the 5 second mark.    Completely severed spine and skewered the heart.  Only the ground stopped a full pass through.  Now - I do shoot VPA broadheads which are solid, one piece no wield COC heads, and moved up to a heavier arrow with total weight coming in around 460gr...  65# Matthews Z7...    

post-984-0-26862800-1448760717.jpg

post-984-0-63297800-1448760775.jpg

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I made that exact shot last year - fastest death I ever seen.  Dropped on spot, took last breath at about the 5 second mark.    Completely severed spine and skewered the heart.  Only the ground stopped a full pass through.  Now - I do shoot VPA broadheads which are solid, one piece no well COC heads, and moved up to a heavier arrow with total weight coming in around 460gr...  65# Matthews Z7...    

That'll do the trick. :up:

I made that exact shot last year - fastest death I ever seen.  Dropped on spot, took last breath at about the 5 second mark.    Completely severed spine and skewered the heart.  Only the ground stopped a full pass through.  Now - I do shoot VPA broadheads which are solid, one piece no well COC heads, and moved up to a heavier arrow with total weight coming in around 460gr...  65# Matthews Z7...    

After seeing and reading several of your posts here and elsewhere over time  on VPA. I'm going to get a couple packs. I really like the re sharpening and multiple use you get with these broad heads. I practice every day so getting them tuned and ready will be no problem and I shoot fixed blade anyway and have for years so it just makes sense to give these a shot.

After seeing and reading several of your posts here and elsewhere over time  on VPA. I'm going to get a couple packs. I really like the re sharpening and multiple use you get with these broad heads. I practice every day so getting them tuned and ready will be no problem and I shoot fixed blade anyway and have for years so it just makes sense to give these a shot.

I have 6 non-vented and 3 vented, all in 125Gr. I only carry 2 of each in the quiver, so you are welcome to shoot my extras and see if you like them before you invest 40 bucks. . You can't hurt them - trust me.  PM if you are up in the Newton area to give it a try.  I own so many because when I see someone selling them because they had no clue how to sharpen, I took off their hands for half price. I had a bunch of 100gr but gave them to a buddy who shoots 100s.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I have 6 non-vented and 3 vented, all in 125Gr. I only carry 2 of each in the quiver, so you are welcome to shoot my extras and see if you like them before you invest 40 bucks. . You can't hurt them - trust me.  PM if you are up in the Newton area to give it a try.  I own so many because when I see someone selling them because they had no clue how to sharpen, I took off their hands for half price. I had a bunch of 100gr but gave them to a buddy who shoots 100s.

Thank you jack I appreciate that offer. I shoot 100 grain though.Maybe you could show me how to sharpen them when the time comes. 

Check out innovative outdoors. They have a sharpener that anyone can use whether it be for fixed or replaceable blades. It is not the kind that you slide through. Its a holder that gives you the right angle for fixed or for replaceable. Start off with 400 grit sandpaper, then 1000 and you have one seriously sharp blade. Check it out. I tried it and it works well