IGNORED

DIY Vehical Maintainance

1957Buck

15 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I do all the things on that list other than the throttle body. We can just fill a gallon milk jug with used oil and put it out weekly on garbage/recycling day, so that’s easy. I did the brakes on my ‘17 Ford F-150 last year. Again, easy enough.  I know the job was done right and I save some $$ in the process. 

Remove hose from Throttle Body intake Buycan of Throttle body cleane maybe $4  Spray the walls  wait 5 min wipe the interior Clean and you are done 15 min unless you want to spray some insidelike a carb cleaner dealer gets like $45 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

13 hours ago, mike033089 said:

Maybe some mechanics can chime in here. But I heard from a guy who owns a lube shop that all oil filters are made by the same couple companies and there is not that big of a difference. They said they cut several open to check them out and most are identical and sales reps even confirmed. 

The years I worked at Sheetmetal. Local 10 did work in many manufacturing Plants from Ballantine to Purluator and Bottling Plants.  Seen products on the asembly line just Change Lables on products  Down neck was a antifreez packer Tanker parked our side with product and again it went in what ever jug was on the line at that time. Some did pakage a premium product under their name. But enter imports mexico or China many of thoses labels are imported And Yes there are Stark differances from a Rgular product to a Premium. Just as the Grades and types of Oils.  

15 min oil change places ues Drum Oil  a one oil fits all .  as there are dozens of Types  & Weights onthe  market. and prices. in many cases buying and using the best of the Best is a choice,  Any one remember a oil in a Bottle  at gas stations called FOX it was recycled re refind oil. 50 cent a quart, 

:offtopic:  Also did work at Bayway Refinery  and Boy is Gasoline another subject for another post :stirring:

Edited by 1957Buck

16 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

.... We can just fill a gallon milk jug with used oil and put it out weekly on garbage/recycling day, so that’s easy. ....

Wow. I live in Morris County, too ... but I have to take engine oil, etc myself to that county place by Lowe's.

I also do any auto repairs/maint myself that's feasible. I've always enjoyed working on cars, in addition to wanting to save money.

Just a thought Brake Drums = Brake Rotors  Brake Calapers  $0.12  a pound Yea not a big deal but it all adds up.  Reg car sedan Rotor is 21 lb  4 is 84  $0,12  = $10. + or -

And they photo copy your drivers licence  every time no matter what you sell 

Freehold one is 8 min away.  for me. 

IMG_20180814_123049.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

19 hours ago, Lunatic said:

I have a local, very honest guy if I need something, but honestly I don’t hold down to any cars to have out of warranty issues….but it happens. 
Jiffy Lube is just convenient for me. Close by, no appointments, if I drive by and they are not busy I go in. With the new car I bought late last year I had two free oil changed but going to the dealer is very inconvenient for me so I went to JL. I hate everything associated with car maintenance, I even hate getting gas. 

I was was in a pinch last year and went to jiffy lune a it was over 100.00 the hell with that.  Tractor supply 3o bucks for 5 quart jug of penzoil full synthetic  5 bucks for the filter. And I always add I quart of Lukus I buy it by the gallon 

3 hours ago, BothBarrels said:

Wow. I live in Morris County, too ... but I have to take engine oil, etc myself to that county place by Lowe's.

I also do any auto repairs/maint myself that's feasible. I've always enjoyed working on cars, in addition to wanting to save money.

Mount Olive Township where I live is the western Morris County place where they take most anything. I forget which town to our east is the other one to do so.  My wife and I joke that they will take spent nuclear fuel rods. 

25 minutes ago, TroutandBucks said:

I just pay for everything why bother and waste my time 

At this point in my life I feel the same. As I’m getting old my time is very important to me. That’s not to say I don’t do anything that could classify as work, I just work on things I enjoy doing or I can’t afford to pay someone else to do it for me. I hate anything associated with car maintenance or repair. 

1 hour ago, smittty said:

I was was in a pinch last year and went to jiffy lune a it was over 100.00 the hell with that.  Tractor supply 3o bucks for 5 quart jug of penzoil full synthetic  5 bucks for the filter. And I always add I quart of Lukus I buy it by the gallon 

I’m still not planning on doing my own but I’ll definitely look around to see if I can get it done cheaper