IGNORED

DIY Vehical Maintainance

1957Buck

Just the wiper blades & cabin and engine air filters for me now. Haven’t done brakes since high school on my 70 Mustang. And I’m too lazy to get rid of the oil and filter.

Side note, a few years ago I dropped off old lawn tractor oil at Roon’s for his hilbilly pool heater. I think he’s only burning ash now and converted from oil.

I do almost all except for oil change cause it’s just not worth it. If I had a life than I’d consider it but crawling under neath and than having to take oil to dispose of just isn’t worth the few dollars I’d save. Brakes,rotors, plugs belts are a big savings compared to a shop. 

I do what I can on my vehicles, but my friend is my mechanic and he handles most things for me.  An example of an oil change.  9 quarts of European-Spec oil is at least $100 at an auto parts store.  The filter is another $40.  My guy gets his Amsoil cheap and I pay $9.50/qt.  For $140 total, I get my oil changed.  I'd rather put $20 in his pocket and not even get my hands dirty.

Many tools are BMW specific and even more so, M Car specific.   I see no reason to go out and buy a new tool every time I need to repair something.  

I do all the things on that list other than the throttle body. We can just fill a gallon milk jug with used oil and put it out weekly on garbage/recycling day, so that’s easy. I did the brakes on my ‘17 Ford F-150 last year. Again, easy enough.  I know the job was done right and I save some $$ in the process. 

2 hours ago, vdep217 said:

I used to do my own oil changes but it's just not worth the hassle fir the 12 dollar savings and the hassle of disposing the used oil

12.00 difference my vehicles are 50.00 different  but I just like to do my own I know what’s going in it and this way I get to stick my head underneath and look around every few thousand miles

39 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Find a real mechanic you can trust.  Jiffy Lube and other places like that are a nightmare.  I wouldn't let a place like that anywhere near my cars

Have been using them since I can remember, and I remember $25, and never had a problem 

I can change it  so it does not take a real mechanic to change oil. 

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Have been using them since I can remember, and I remember $25, and never had a problem 

I can change it  so it does not take a real mechanic to change oil. 

Agreed.  Good thing no real mechanics work there.  

On a serious note, that shit is the fast food of the auto industry.  Where do you have other repairs done?  Don't they do oil changes there?

Edited by not on the rug

4 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Agreed.  Good thing no real mechanics work there.  

On a serious note, that shit is the fast food of the auto industry.  Where do you have other repairs done?  Don't they do oil changes there?

I have a local, very honest guy if I need something, but honestly I don’t hold down to any cars to have out of warranty issues….but it happens. 
Jiffy Lube is just convenient for me. Close by, no appointments, if I drive by and they are not busy I go in. With the new car I bought late last year I had two free oil changed but going to the dealer is very inconvenient for me so I went to JL. I hate everything associated with car maintenance, I even hate getting gas. 

Once upon a time I did.  These days I am fortunate to have a company vehicle, and we lease my wife's SUV(s) every 3 years.  The lease always comes with a maintenance package so I am sure my DIY auto skills are a bit dusty.  

Edited by Zone50BugNerd