IGNORED

Nj Fisher

Good stuff!  

Fisher don't just eat the turkey eggs they'll eat the turkey.  Any critter that can chase a squirrel up a tree catch it and eat it is a bad dude in my eyes.  I've released several and to say they're aggressive is and understatement.  The funny thing is when you approach them they let you know they mean business and they deliver.  If I had to pick between releasing a fisher and a bear I'd pick the bear.  

Edited by B B

53 minutes ago, B B said:

Good stuff!  

Fisher don't just eat the turkey eggs they'll eat the turkey.  Any critter that can chase a squirrel up a tree catch it and eat it is a bad dude in my eyes.  I've released several and to say they're aggressive is and understatement.  The funny thing is when you approach them they let you know they mean business and they deliver.  If I had to pick between releasing a fisher and a bear I'd pick the bear.  

When the biologist attempted to jab him , he turned and bit the syringe in half so fast it was unbelievable.  

Congrats again Mike!  I know you’ve spent a lot of time to get the fisher and it’s even more special to do it in your home territory.  The experience of the tagging and study is one that you will remember for a long time.  

when I lived in PA and we would occasionally hunt snowshoe on the mountains if you were Lucky to catch the last track left in the county on the snow it usually had fisher tracks right next to or in it.  So yes they kill everything and they like turkeys too!

Very cool catch, Mike. The state has been working hard on gathering fisher data and glad you were able to contribute to that. 

My hunting partner and I have a solid population of fisher on our Central NY property and get plenty of trail cam pics of them throughout the year. We even called one in during Turkey season that wanted to eat my decoy. Other buddies not far from us have as many or more fisher than we do….and there is a robust Turkey population in that area. 

Im sure the state has a population estimate for fishers but are working towards a more current data driven estimate with the study they’re doing. I don’t think you’ll see a fisher or bobcat season anytime soon in NJ despite the recent work the state did estimating bobcat population and current work on fishers. Political winds within the department just don't favor a move in that direction. 

As far as turkeys go, I am sure the current turkey study will give us more data on what is going on with them. I have my theories…but let’s just say that fishers, while seemingly good turkey predators, aren’t at the top of the list as a major cause of population decline here in NJ. This is based solely on anecdotal evidence but my beliefs none the less. 

49 minutes ago, MS22 said:

Very cool catch, Mike. The state has been working hard on gathering fisher data and glad you were able to contribute to that. 

My hunting partner and I have a solid population of fisher on our Central NY property and get plenty of trail cam pics of them throughout the year. We even called one in during Turkey season that wanted to eat my decoy. Other buddies not far from us have as many or more fisher than we do….and there is a robust Turkey population in that area. 

Im sure the state has a population estimate for fishers but are working towards a more current data driven estimate with the study they’re doing. I don’t think you’ll see a fisher or bobcat season anytime soon in NJ despite the recent work the state did estimating bobcat population and current work on fishers. Political winds within the department just don't favor a move in that direction. 

As far as turkeys go, I am sure the current turkey study will give us more data on what is going on with them. I have my theories…but let’s just say that fishers, while seemingly good turkey predators, aren’t at the top of the list as a major cause of population decline here in NJ. This is based solely on anecdotal evidence but my beliefs none the less. 

We see fisher on our NY trail cams constantly, yet the turkey population is off the hook. We have several flocks of birds on one 247 acre property. 

The Nature Conservancy is keeping the bobcat from coming off the state endangered list. They feel it is too much a keystone species. I disagree, but they have the political connections to keep bobcats listed. And because they aren’t problematic like black bears, nobody will call for an open season other than we hunters that only represent 1%.